First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and Model Y interested in R3
Occupation
Application developer
@TheBadBard Good call! I currently drive a Model 3 and it is already cramped in my garage. I have to back in to make sure my wife and kids don't ding the doors with the Model Y. The R3 will be a much better fit! (Though I might still back in lol)

1711656356544-nf.png

1711656613170-2w.png

TheBadBard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Tesla P3D-
@TheBadBard Good call! I currently drive a Model 3 and it is already cramped in my garage. I have to back in to make sure my wife and kids don't ding the doors with the Model Y. The R3 will be a much better fit! (Though I might still back in lol)

1711656356544-nf.png

1711656613170-2w.png
My lord, that is a substantially shorter vehicle. At first i was thinking that there was no way it was 20+ inches shorter... but alas, here we are. Cut the nose, butt and skirt off, shrink the wheelbase a little bit and not even much of a height difference. My excitement is heightened.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Iā€™ve driven and loved a 6spd mk7 GTI for 6 years, that has been lifted on Alltrack suspension for the last 3.

Like everyone else I was shocked with the R3X reveal, and immediately intrigued by the styling and ā€œrally-inspiredā€ performance. But I was initially concerned it might be bigger than it appeared in the pictures, so I tempered my enthusiasm and did some sleuthing to find dimensions. Feel free to check my math.

Tire size on the show car is 255/55R19 (I zoomed in to mkbhdā€™s video). Thatā€™s a 30in diameter. RJ also said the wheelbase of R3 is 5in shorter than that of R2, which works out to 110.5in. Using the high res side view photo Rivian posted of R3X, I measured the width of the tire in pixels and from there could calculate the height and length. (I confirmed this by checking the wheelbase and was only 1.5% off the 110.5in value).

R3X length: ~161.4in

R3X height: ~59.5in.

Needless to say my enthusiasm is no longer tempered when I found out the R3X is only 1.7in taller and somehow 6.6in SHORTER than a mk7 GTI (the tiny overhangs I guess??).

Pretty sure this is my next car.
IMG_9122.jpeg
I want one too! If the reengineered R1s and the R2 save Rivian I wonder when we can expect the R3/R3X and how much will it cost? Maybe 2027 and $35K for R3/$40K for R3X?

Eric8235

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf Sportwagen
Occupation
Designer
Does anyone have a sense for cargo space on the R3? I need to be able to fit two greyhounds in the back with the rear seats down.

Sponsored

SF Dede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
The following is from an article on Green Car Reports:

ā€Jeff Hammoud, Rivianā€™s head designer, confirmed to Green Car Reports that the R3 family is 170.3 inches long and rides on a 110.2-inch wheelbaseā€”so itā€™s about 15 inches shorter than the R2, with a wheelbase about five inches shorter. ā€œ

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...atchbacks-aim-for-masses-for-less-than-45-000

Longer than I hoped but definitely still a small hatch. Iā€™ll take it.

TheBadBard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Tesla P3D-
The following is from an article on Green Car Reports:

ā€Jeff Hammoud, Rivianā€™s head designer, confirmed to Green Car Reports that the R3 family is 170.3 inches long and rides on a 110.2-inch wheelbaseā€”so itā€™s about 15 inches shorter than the R2, with a wheelbase about five inches shorter. ā€œ

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...atchbacks-aim-for-masses-for-less-than-45-000

Longer than I hoped but definitely still a small hatch. Iā€™ll take it.
This is actually really good news for me, Been walking around 161" cars when i leave the gym, and i was thinking... "That is a bit too short for me, did i make a mistake not preordering the R2?" 170 long sounds perfect.

SanCarlosJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, VW Golf
This is actually really good news for me, Been walking around 161" cars when i leave the gym, and i was thinking... "That is a bit too short for me, did i make a mistake not preordering the R2?" 170 long sounds perfect.
Agreed, my Golf (2011) is 165" long and I'd rather not go any shorter. 170" would be perfect.

Sponsored

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
Agreed, my Golf (2011) is 165" long and I'd rather not go any shorter. 170" would be perfect.
You have to remember the wheelbase is larger than a GTI even though it is shorter in total length. Also, there's no engine bay or transmission hump. It might feel more roomy than a typical 170" gasser. I am curious how much of a frunk it will have though. I suspect it will be kinda small. They really don't show that off anywhere although they do show the R2's frunk.
1713293401586-rm.png

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So... now that we know it's 170.3" instead of 161.4", is someone going to delete and redo all the image comparisons? (not being needy or anything.) šŸ˜‚

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
So... now that we know it's 170.3" instead of 161.4", is someone going to delete and redo all the image comparisons? (not being needy or anything.) šŸ˜‚
Where did you find that information?