Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Looking to hear from owners that have attempted (successful orto get Rivian to replace tires at their expense, due to premature wear.

I have 8,000 miles on an R1T with 22” wheels; the tires are shot, due to what I believe was from multiple faulty alignments completed by Rivian. I’ve yet to bring this to Rivian’s attention but I don’t feel I’m at fault for this, as I’ve frequently informed Rivian of the assignment and wheel balance issues, and have been told time after time: “all is within spec”. Wheels were rotated twice, and Rivian completed 3 alignments in 8000 miles. Zero off-roading and we are driving on well-maintained roads.

I’ve done everything at my power to ensure even wear, but 8000 miles on a set of dead tires is real bad.
Sponsored

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Very unlikely.
If you had 500 miles and had steel cord sticking out then yes, they might have given it a second thought. 8000 is more than some people get, I've seen bald tires at 6k.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
many have gotten 20k, so no not normal. You also won’t get new tires unless you get very lucky.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
I just had my second tire rotation a few weeks back and have 19000 miles and they estimated i would get 30000 before needing replacing. I do have 21's and drive in all purpose mostly. I do limit my urge to launch as well. I have seen some on here say after 5000 needing replacing. That would get expensive quick.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Looking to hear from owners that have attempted (successful orto get Rivian to replace tires at their expense, due to premature wear.

I have 8,000 miles on an R1T with 22” wheels; the tires are shot, due to what I believe was from multiple faulty alignments completed by Rivian. I’ve yet to bring this to Rivian’s attention but I don’t feel I’m at fault for this, as I’ve frequently informed Rivian of the assignment and wheel balance issues, and have been told time after time: “all is within spec”. Wheels were rotated twice, and Rivian completed 3 alignments in 8000 miles. Zero off-roading and we are driving on well-maintained roads.

I’ve done everything at my power to ensure even wear, but 8000 miles on a set of dead tires is real bad.
I have over 17k on the 22’s with 6-7/32 left…so maybe 6k left in this set.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty much a normal wear rate for a 8000 lb truck with 800+ horsepower
Disagree. I've got 6,000 miles on mine and tons of tread left. At 3,000 miles I had less than 1/32 tread wear. I measured it with a gauge then, have not bothered to measure it since.

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
8k miles isn’t normal for a all season tire. Even from pirelli who is know for its softer compounds. Not a fan of the stock tires. I have 23k on the odo. Measured my tires today before the snow fall. Tires are at 5/32 one is at 4/32. Replacing them this upcoming week. Most tire manufacturers have a warranty to prorate premature wear. Only caveat is buying tires from the manufacturer which means buying another set of 22s. I’d inquire about it. You’ve done everything and then some to ensure proper wear.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Pretty much a normal wear rate for a 8000 lb truck with 800+ horsepower
Sorry that is not normal for a 7000 lb truck, maybe with very aggressive driving habits that would be the case.
Disagree. I've got 6,000 miles on mine and tons of tread left. At 3,000 miles I had less than 1/32 tread wear. I measured it with a gauge then, have not bothered to measure it since.
Just did rotation on 20"AT, I was a bit overdue at 12K miles. With the update you can see why the fronts wear faster.
The fronts had 8/32 & rears had 10/32 so on average I have 60% left.
This is with plenty of early launches, conserve mode(hwy), heavy towing, strong regen, & curvy mountain driving.
I should get 30K now that I have the launches somewhat out of my system.

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

While 8,000 miles is not normal it will be tough to get them to replace the tires unless you can prove they are wearing abnormally due to a faulty alignment. For example if the inner or outer edges of the treat are worn away and the center of the tread still has quite s bit of tread.

If thr tires are on the wear bars and are worn evenly very unlikely Rivian will replace them.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
8k miles isn’t normal for a all season tire. Even from pirelli who is know for its softer compounds. Not a fan of the stock tires. I have 23k on the odo. Measured my tires today before the snow fall. Tires are at 5/32 one is at 4/32. Replacing them this upcoming week. Most tire manufacturers have a warranty to prorate premature wear. Only caveat is buying tires from the manufacturer which means buying another set of 22s. I’d inquire about it. You’ve done everything and then some to ensure proper wear.
There is not a single tire manufacturer that makes EV-rated tires that warrants their tires for tread wear. Not a single one. You can, of course, go with non-EV-rated tires, But for the most part, the tires warranted for tread wear use very hard composites that result in a non-refined ride and a lot of tire nose as well as sub-par road handling. So, if you don’t mind being annoyed with the tires, then you can go this route. Generally, people who pay $100.000 for the vehicle don’t mind a $2,000 tire purchase once a year to enjoy their ride quality.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am at almost 30k and my 20's still have at least 5k left on them.

And mine pulls a bit right.

And Rivian knows they have alignment issues.

So if OP tires tires are that messed up, the right thing to do on Rivian part is at least make a deal and partially cover replacement. Do they have to....no....should they based on all the facts....yes.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Take this opportunity to switch to the new Michelin defenders. I did, but I had to buy the rims too so it was even worse for me.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m at 31,000 on the 21’s. on my R1T.

driving style is a big factor, just sayin…..
This.
Rivian will not replace your tires for wear.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Maybe a small contribution but no way should Rivian fully pay for a full set of tires for the OP. Yet more whining about trying to get free stuff. Rivian goes above and beyond regularly for people but they are a business and need to make a profit.
Sponsored