First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't really call it luxury. Compared to the interior of my wife's new BWM that we are getting next week the Rivian is lacking for sure.
You are concentrating on the comfort side of luxury, there is also the extravagant side, think of sky boxes at the Super Bowl, front row seats at a concert, things you pay a premium for when you could get something for less that would suffice.

Edit: I would argue any vehicle over 50k (probably even much less) should be considered a luxury purchase.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You are concentrating on the comfort side of luxury, there is also the extravagant side, think of sky boxes at the Super Bowl, front row seats at a concert, things you pay a premium for when you could get something for less that would suffice.
Yeah it is subjective I suppose but I don't really consider performance to be luxury but I guess you could make an argument for it by definition.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well you stepped in it now, RJ. Once you call yourself “luxury” we can’t help you anymore :CWL:
He's pointed out when other people use it before.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
He's pointed out when other people use it before.
I must have missed that.

It’s luxury to me, but that’s only because I have personally never owned a vehicle this advanced and with this type of performance before.

I really only disagree when some act as if other vehicles in the same price range don’t ever break down or have service problems.

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
“Adventure” IS an unusual or exciting experience…

…like an adventure dining…

…like an adventure exploring…

…like an adventure skydiving…

…like an adventure river rafting…

…like an adventure scuba diving…

…like buying and owning a Rivian…

Sounds like luxury to me…

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester

U.S. News & World Report Announces the 2024 Best Vehicle Brand and Best CPO Program Awards

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. News & World Report, the global authority in rankings and consumer advice, today announced its 2024 Best Vehicle Brand and Best Certified Pre-Owned Program awards.

After evaluating 38 brands, U.S. News' Best Vehicle Brands recognizes industry-wide excellence across four key segments of the automotive market: cars, SUVs, trucks and luxury vehicles. Drawing from distinct criteria, the U.S. News Best CPO Program recognizes the CPO program that offers consumers the most benefits.

For the third year in a row, U.S. News recognized Honda as the Best Car Brand. Honda's overall scores can be attributed to the strong qualities of the Civic and Accord models. High quality earned Mazda its first win as the Best SUV Brand. Ram secured its win as the Best Truck Brand for the fifth consecutive year due to consistently high overall quality across Ram 1500 and Ram 2500 models. The Best Luxury Brand was awarded to Rivian, which applies an innovative approach to its luxury vehicles.

"Our Best Vehicle Brand awards recognize the automakers that produce vehicles that best align with consumer interests," says Jim Sharifi, managing editor of U.S. News Best Cars. "Finding the right brand can be an important step toward buying the right vehicle. Our 2024 award winners deserve to be high on the shopping list for car buyers who are in the market for a new car, SUV, truck or luxury vehicle."

The 2024 Best Vehicle Brand Winners

To determine the award winners, U.S. News Best Cars averaged the overall score of all the given brand's products in each award class. The brand with the highest average score was designated the winner in that specific category. The overall scores are derived from the U.S. News Best Cars rankings, which take into account safety ratings, reliability data and the collective opinion of the automotive press.

The 2024 Best Certified Pre-Owned Program Winner

For the seventh consecutive year, Lexus was awarded the Best Certified Pre-Owned Program, based on its extensive warranty coverage and an array of premium program benefits.

"Lexus is a top choice due to the brand's strong reputation for reliability," said Sharifi. "In addition to an exceptional warranty, L/Certified by Lexus wins our Best CPO Program award because of great benefits that include a free loaner car and free maintenance visits."

To determine the award winner, U.S. News evaluated a range of distinct CPO program coverages and benefits including warranty coverage duration, trip interruption reimbursement, roadside assistance perks and more.
Congrats RJ! Your employees deserve the recognition, even if it is in the "luxury" category and even if Rivian is simply the token EV manufacturer so it doesn't seem like US News and World Report is completely blind to the EV's all around us. I suppose they found Rivian less threatening than Tesla, with their best-selling car in the world and a CEO who is not afraid to say what he really thinks!

I say Rivian fans should step up to the plate and "own" the luxury title. Don't back down simply because you don't think it's well-appointed enough to be true luxury. For a truck, the R1T is pretty damn luxurious!

Not like that Cybertruck that had to cut costs by eliminating rounded edges!

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

I'd consider it luxury. It's high tech, and ridiculously fast. Those things are as important in a vehicle being "luxury" as absolute comfort. Personally I find the R1S very comfortable but does something like a Volvo have it beat there? Maybe, but in other areas like capability and performance, it would be way behind.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I personally don't consider it luxury because I bought mine solely for the capabilities. It came with some "luxury" features, but I didn't have a choice in that. I would have purchased it even without those features. I think that's a very different mindset from those who are buying "luxury" vehicles.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Now, if only it could luxuriously cool down the temps for the second row passengers in Arizona summers.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’d say the Rivian is extremely capable, but not necessarily refined enough to be called luxury. If you compare most specs, Rivian is behind luxury competitors. But in terms of size, emission-free range, and acceleration, it has them beat. So maybe I’d call it “drivetrain luxury.”

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was going for the subtly sophisticated outdoorsy vibe with this purchase. I think it was the guy who took his cappuccino machine glamping with him that put Rivian into the lux category. Damn you Alan Ruck! Damn you Ben Affleck!
Sponsored