First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT and Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
The other night I had a warning- Electrical hazard possible, drive to service center immediately. Avoid driving thru water. Drove home and it sat 24 hours. Did hard start and drove about two miles and got the same warning plus-Critical battery issue, service vehicle immediately. It had 264 miles left on it, wrecker came next morning and everything was dead, had to drag truck onto wrecker. Anyone had any of these issues?
Sponsored

Milo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the same warning about 6 months ago. Service adviser told me to perform hard reset. And the warning went away, this is driving home from Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area, the warning came on around Sacramento area, drove to Bay Area with no other issues after hard reset. Took the Truck to service center, and couple days later the front drive unit was getting replaced.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Half way home from Tahoe….that’s a scary place for it to happen.

R1Serenity

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Doctor
Well, what a delivery day.

So I got the same message today when trying to us my brand new wall charger on my brand new R1S that I picked up about 2 hours before at the Orlando SC. Odometer reading about 26 miles.

I think it must be record time for first time loaner, 9am delivery and loaner at home by 1pm. Let's hope it gets fixed sooner than later! Reasons like mine are definitely why they have prioritized local deliveries over deliveries to the middle of nowhere without service centers.

After a 25 minute call with customer service, soft reset that didn't solve anything, the error message was enough for Rivian to tell me to leave the car as is and a loaner is headed my way, by the same nice guy who assisted with deliver in the AM.

Irrespective of this happening, I did drive the loaner around for a bit in the afternoon and given it's our first EV....wow. This is what I waited for about 2 years since I started looking into Rivian. What a great car to drive and as Rivian works out the kinks, I'm supportive and hopeful our brand new R1S gets fixed whatever it needs to get fixed.

I feel your pain Fisherman.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

So I got the same message today when trying to us my brand new wall charger on my brand new R1S that I picked up about 2 hours before at the Orlando SC. Odometer reading about 26 miles.

I think it must be record time for first time loaner, 9am delivery and loaner at home by 1pm. Let's hope it gets fixed sooner than later! Reasons like mine are definitely why they have prioritized local deliveries over deliveries to the middle of nowhere without service centers.

After a 25 minute call with customer service, soft reset that didn't solve anything, the error message was enough for Rivian to tell me to leave the car as is and a loaner is headed my way, by the same nice guy who assisted with deliver in the AM.

Irrespective of this happening, I did drive the loaner around for a bit in the afternoon and given it's our first EV....wow. This is what I waited for about 2 years since I started looking into Rivian. What a great car to drive and as Rivian works out the kinks, I'm supportive and hopeful our brand new R1S gets fixed whatever it needs to get fixed.

Amazing you can stay so positive (work out the kinks) for a new car you had for four hours. Completely agree it made sense for them to only deliver when people are (relatively) close to a SC but I really hope the incidence of issues like this drop soon.

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
The other night I had a warning- Electrical hazard possible, drive to service center immediately. Avoid driving thru water. Drove home and it sat 24 hours. Did hard start and drove about two miles and got the same warning plus-Critical battery issue, service vehicle immediately. It had 264 miles left on it, wrecker came next morning and everything was dead, had to drag truck onto wrecker. Anyone had any of these issues?
I had the same issue with my R1T. Once towed to the Atlanta SC, they determined the 12v batteries were dead and not charging because an "internal switch" within the main battery was "stuck". This switch, as I understand it, is what enables the 12v batteries to recharge. And, those batteries are what powers (among other things) the main computer... the brains that tells everything what to do. So, with a brain-dead R1T, it was toast. They rivived it by replacing the main battery and both 12v batteries. It was returned to me about 2 weeks later. That was about 5-6 months ago and everything has been perfect since then.

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

What a great attifude you have!! If you are a dad, Happy Father's day! If not, then you'd make a great model for positivity as one.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I had the same issue with my R1T. Once towed to the Atlanta SC, they determined the 12v batteries were dead and not charging because an "internal switch" within the main battery was "stuck". This switch, as I understand it, is what enables the 12v batteries to recharge. And, those batteries are what powers (among other things) the main computer... the brains that tells everything what to do. So, with a brain-dead R1T, it was toast. They rivived it by replacing the main battery and both 12v batteries. It was returned to me about 2 weeks later. That was about 5-6 months ago and everything has been perfect since then.
Sounds like the DC-to-DC inverter. Its the EV version of an alternator. It takes the high voltage from the traction battery and puts out 12v to charge the battery and power the electronics while the vehicle is powered up. The 12v battery should only power things when the vehicle is off. I don't have a complete understanding of how its designed in the rivian.
Sponsored