timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was visiting Chicago last week and decided to use Uber to get around rather than trying to park in the city. I noticed I was having a hard time getting drivers to accept my request and had a couple cancel on me. It was then I noticed that somehow my rider rating had dropped to 4.25. This didn't make sense to me as I'm always prompt and courteous, but then it dawned on me.

My R1S requires closing the door firmly to latch, so I'm in the habit of putting some force into the closing. As a result, I've accidentally slammed the doors of other cars on occasion. It turns out this is big no-no in the world of Uber, and often results in drivers giving 1-star ratings. Sure enough, I had 3 1-star ratings to go with my 5-star ratings. I don't use Uber very often so they are weighted especially heavily. Going forward I'll be more careful, but the damage is done and I may have to use taxis or Lyft instead the next time I travel. I wanted to offer this as a warning to others, and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Never knew riders were rated! Live and learn. Just checked mine as now I just had to know. I guess I haven't pissed off any Uber drivers yet. Still at 5.0

OP
OP

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Are you sure it has nothing to do with what you perceive as a generous tip?
I usually pick whatever the top end of the tip scale is unless something goes wrong. There have been a couple times where the app didn't process my tip payment immediately and I didn't catch it until the next time I used the app and it prompted me to finish the payment.

Sponsored

Meltdwn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Business Owner
Usually it's giving a shitty tip that drops your rating fastest. Not saying that's what happened here, just what I've heard.
Not sure that is the case... I thought that the rider rating was done prior to the driver seeing any tip. Tip should not be a factor in rating the quality or behavior of the driver or rider. Otherwise, it is blackmail!

Search found this interview where Uber CEO says the tip is not know prior to rider rating...

Uber CEO reveals 4 ways to boost your rider ratings — and tipping isn't one of them

https://www.businessinsider.com/ube...wshahi revealed,a Tuesday interview with CNBC.

CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Panamera Turbo S e-H; Cayenne Turbo; +5
Clubs

Tipping - My rider rating is fine and I've almost never tipped, so I doubt that is the issue.

The R1S door is problematic in my mind, my kids almost never close it correctly on the first try and I sometimes have problems. It's a really stark contrast to my Panamera, which has 'soft close' doors - as long as you get it close to latched it has motors that will pull the door shut the last 1/2 an inch....

So now my kids are slamming the doors on all my other cars because of the Rivian. Between that and their choice of music, I've given them a rider score of 1 star as well.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Today I learned people tip on uber all the time!!

I rarely use uber we're not in a location where they even have uber unless you get pretty lucky, and, so since Uber began I thought the whole premise was "no tips"

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What kind of hell do we live in where we are tiptoeing around Uber driver’s ratings of us? It’s literally a Black Mirror episode. The driver’s rating should be lowered if they cancel a ride they have already accepted. Uber is 100% trash.

Meltdwn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Business Owner
Tipping - My rider rating is fine and I've almost never tipped, so I doubt that is the issue.

The R1S door is problematic in my mind, my kids almost never close it correctly on the first try and I sometimes have problems. It's a really stark contrast to my Panamera, which has 'soft close' doors - as long as you get it close to latched it has motors that will pull the door shut the last 1/2 an inch....

So now my kids are slamming the doors on all my other cars because of the Rivian. Between that and their choice of music, I've given them a rider score of 1 star as well.
And your Panamera is also not rated to wade thru 3' of water, among other features!
The R1 even beats it in 0-60 and has a lot more utility and storage.... come to think of it, not sure why you would still have one of those.... :)

CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

And your Panamera is also not rated to wade thru 3' of water, among other features!
The R1 even beats it in 0-60 and has a lot more utility and storage.... come to think of it, not sure why you would still have one of those.... :)
Long roadtrips with the family is the use case for the Panamera. Just did a 2000 mile summer trip that would have been impractical with time for charging stops.

I drive a Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid, so its still faster than the maxed out Rivian R1S, 0-60, 1/4 mile, pick your metric, but not by enough that you would notice in normally daily driving. I've done 150 mph in the Panamera, I don't think I would try that in the Rivian.

Pros and cons to both and I'd recommend them both - Rivian is obviously much roomier, functional, and you don't have to worry about curb rash or opening your door into a curb when parking.

On the other hand the Porsche is got to be at least 15 decibels quieter on the highway, the interior materials / build quality is so much better, and (ahem) it has carplay.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster

We had this problem with our R1S delivered in March and I talked about it at our first service appointment (back when you could get those in a timely manner). The tech opened the door and said "door drop - we can fix that". Look at the door, open, and notice if the trailing edge moves down when you unlatch. They fixed about 90% of my door closing issues.

CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

We had this problem with our R1S delivered in March and I talked about it at our first service appointment (back when you could get those in a timely manner). The tech opened the door and said "door drop - we can fix that". Look at the door, open, and notice if the trailing edge moves down when you unlatch. They fixed about 90% of my door closing issues.
Wow, second piece of helpful advice in as many days on this chat board. Really liking this community. I'll check it out!
Sponsored