Sponsored

Rivian service experience with running boards?

srikalyan3

First Name
Chakri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT Director
When I was picking up my R1S from a service appointment yesterday Rivian Service Advisor made an interesting comment on running boards. He mentioned that if I install running boards I will need to remove them when I bring in my Rivian for any service that requires lifting it. He mentioned that it interferes with the lift operation and Rivian won't proceed with service until the running boards are removed.

Has anyone had service experience with running boards? Have you encountered any challenges with it? I have just received EV sportline running boards and whether I proceed with the install or not depends on Rivian's service experience.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When I was picking up my R1S from a service appointment yesterday Rivian Service Advisor made an interesting comment on running boards. He mentioned that if I install running boards I will need to remove them when I bring in my Rivian for any service that requires lifting it. He mentioned that it interferes with the lift operation and Rivian won't proceed with service until the running boards are removed.

Has anyone had service experience with running boards? Have you encountered any challenges with it? I have just received EV sportline running boards and whether I proceed with the install or not depends on Rivian's service experience.
I have not had any service on mine since I installed the running boards but mine do not interfere with any of the puck lifting points so not sure what the would be referring to.

If they insisted on having them removed it literally would be removing the 3 bolts (R1S) on each side then the running boards and brackets would come off.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I recently got my 7500 mile service done at my local SC, which includes tire rotation. Everything went smoothly, and there were no complaints about my EV Sportline running boards.

The factory lifting points are still available to them, so I don’t see why there would be a problem.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I read a discussion here, or on Reddit (I don't remember which) claiming that the lifts at the Rivian SC use the factory jack points, but they do not use pucks and that running boards may have clearance/interference fit issues with how the SC lift mechanism lines up with the factory jack points. Perhaps someone can get a better explanation from the SC?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Generally they won't complain about it if the normal holes are still accessible. If they need to drop the battery pack out, they will have to remove the boards to do that though.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Both my T and my S have been in for service with running boards. No such comments. The lifting pucks clear the running boards.

Let me ask you this, do you have rock sliders or running boards? It shouldn't matter unless that service center has different equipment that has a lower clearance. If that's the case they need to get with the program. Lots of folks with trucks and SUVs have running boards!

Kdblondie

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Office Manager
Clubs

I recently got my 7500 mile service done at my local SC, which includes tire rotation. Everything went smoothly, and there were no complaints about my EV Sportline running boards.

The factory lifting points are still available to them, so I don’t see why there would be a problem.

How much did they charge for the 7500 service? I have to take mine in soon

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think we are assuming all SC have the same lifting system and use the jack-point. If they don't, some shops maybe able to do it and some shop cannot. Just saying...

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

How much did they charge for the 7500 service? I have to take mine in soon
Good question. I’m actually not sure, because they gave me the 7500 mile service complimentary since my truck was in the shop for several other things.

I know tire rotations are $60, and maybe the multipoint inspection is $200. They took $100 off the multipoint inspection, and eventually charged me $0 for both.

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Had mine in for service with my Electruck4x4 Megawatt sliders and didn't get any complaints from the SC.

They had to lift the truck from the lowest position as the suspension/air syustem failed on the truck. They replaced the driver front suspension and serviced the compressor without mentioning any challenges with the sliders.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

ive had multiple services with my running boards installed. tire rotations, alignment and other stuff and they never mentioned the boards.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I just had my truck in at the Bellevue WA service center, three weeks ago, for a two week visit and they didn’t mention my runningboards at all upon pick up.

OP
OP

srikalyan3

First Name
Chakri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT Director
Both my T and my S have been in for service with running boards. No such comments. The lifting pucks clear the running boards.

Let me ask you this, do you have rock sliders or running boards? It shouldn't matter unless that service center has different equipment that has a lower clearance. If that's the case they need to get with the program. Lots of folks with trucks and SUVs have running boards!
I am planning to install the EV sportline running boards, not the rock sliders. Thank you for your feedback.

OP
OP

srikalyan3

First Name
Chakri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT Director
Thank you all for your feedback. I was a bit concerned about installing running boards if I had to take it out for every service appointment. I am a bit relieved now. Onto the installation project next week during the Spring break :)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thank you all for your feedback. I was a bit concerned about installing running boards if I had to take it out for every service appointment. I am a bit relieved now. Onto the installation project next week during the Spring break :)
The instructions are good, would advise to read the tips and printout the templates.

I took my time, double checked everything before cutting and it was still well under 2 hours start to finish for my R1S doing it by myself.

Good luck and post pictures after.
Sponsored