First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Munro Live says they were identical. Whether or not they actually did a tooth count and part comparison, I couldn't say.
Munro is not prone to guesstimation. They said the parts are identical … that means they did everything short of a metallurgical study of the hardening of the tooth faces … : ) … and that study is in their report for sale to paying customers … : )

What I find impressive about this teardown is the casual comparison of the ludicrously beefy Rivian drive train with the Tesla Plaid drive unit … which looks like it's out of a freight train … : )

Sponsored

Nix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Dox
It leaves the door open for an OTA update for a less conservative, higher top speed if real world reliability is high (low warranty repair rates).

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My Rugby brain interpreted all that as-the parts don't sum to more than 125mph. Fine by me. I've been living in the fast lane too long. Time to slow down and smell the fern. Cheers.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Very interesting. I've read to new dual motor uses different gearing in the rear. We'll see if that's true this time.

But, I'm also wondering if the top speed will be different because of the different motors.

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
So happy someone put this out there. This has been my general response to so many of these threads on FB groups. I was trying to find the RPM data for the motors from Bosch but couldn't find anything. Thanks

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
It leaves the door open for an OTA update for a less conservative, higher top speed if real world reliability is high (low warranty repair rates).
I do not believe that the top end limitations are due to warranty concerns from a slightly higher risk of motor damange.

Very, very, few people would spend enough time driving faster than 110 to burn out the motors even if the risk was 100x higher than driving at normal freeway speeds. And for the handful of people who would spend a bunch of time over 110, Rivian can make a very strong argument that driving faster than 110 MPH was a warranty voiding activity.

The warranty excludes racing, negligent use, criminal activity and "unusual" stress.

• Driving 110 MPH on a public road is both a negligent and a criminal activity in most if not all circumstances.

• Driving 110 MPH on a race track - would be racing.

• And if you found some other way to spend enough time over 110 MPH to burn out the motors without landing into one of the buckets above, they could pretty easily toss that into the category of an unusual stress.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Top Speed - Using Math to understand Why top speed is limited Screenshot 2023-02-13 9.43.11 AM

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Uhh...pretty sure the top speed rating is to make sure you're within a reasonable safety margin for the tires that have a 130mph max limit more so than the motor speed. A 10% margin for the drivetrain is painfully small and would likely result in a lot of failures in the long run, definitely within the warranty period. That's running way too close to the limit.
Sponsored