Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
Rivian made some changes to their home EVSE recently. The cable is now much thinner and flexible and they changed the design of the handle a little bit. See photos below for comparison of the newer vs older Rivian EVSE cable and handle. Photos are not mine but from a member of a Rivian group on Facebook. The handle of the newer version is at the bottom in the photo showing the 2 handles.

I had no idea they changed the design recently until I saw these photos. I immediately checked my newly delivered Rivian EVSE and I’m glad I got the newer version.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version IMG_0356

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version IMG_0357
Sponsored

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

Been using the evse for over a year and I don’t know which handle is the new one. Guess it’s not that big of a deal.

a lighter cable sounds nice though

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
Cable size is one thing. but did they add any energy monitoring/tracking capabilities or any other operational features...?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Cable size is one thing. but did they add any energy monitoring/tracking capabilities or any other operational features...?
Those measurements are provided by the vehicle, so not normally put in a residential wall connector.

At 2x the price, wall connectors designed for multiple users track usage. Ubiquiti EV Station would be one such model.

Rivian's wall connector is expensive as it doesn't seem to do power sharing. But perhaps I'm not aware of all the features.

Sponsored

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
Those measurements are provided by the vehicle, so not normally put in a residential wall connector.

At 2x the price, wall connectors designed for multiple users track usage. Ubiquiti EV Station would be one such model.

Rivian's wall connector is expensive as it doesn't seem to do power sharing. But perhaps I'm not aware of all the features.
EVSE software typically tracks usage data and smart chargers (WallBox, JuiceBox, ChargePoint, Emporia, EA HomeStation, etc) offer reports that provide cumulative metrics over time, cost estimates, and include options to poll utility data to provide more accurate estimates, and even provide charge curve insight for you to review as needed. In terms of logging usage it will report actual energy dispensed while the car will report energy consumed which differs and doesn’t account for losses to heat or other inefficiencies. Plus they also let you manage schedules (in case your utility has TOU rates) which can make it easier if you use the EVSE for more than one EV.

It’s not exclusively the vehicle’s domain and in Rivian’s case it doesn’t log much, nor provide cumulative reporting. It only logs for “review” energy received rounded up to the next kWhr.

For example, here are data that that our WallBox and ChargePoint log and report in a clean way to help us anticipate how our utility bill might change Vs. what Rivian shows us via the app for our Rivian EVSE.

WallBox:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version E02%21113271&authkey=%21AJFsQbM3m5EQA6w&height=660

ChargePoint:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version E02%21113272&authkey=%21AHICc0DdhmjAOcs&height=660
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version E02%21113471&authkey=%21AHPgGqQK52dxCr8&height=660

Versus what is available via the Rivian EVSE from within the Rivian app:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version E02%21113273&authkey=%21ANMgYrMf6Wh-Uzs&height=660
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version E02%21113473&authkey=%21ANfm8mOqXnAaj2w&height=660

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Can Wallbox be controlled by an API?

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
Can Wallbox be controlled by an API?
It supports OCPP (Open Charge Point Protocol) for remote management. While OCPP was designed for network interoperability it is an application layer for interfacing with charge points that support the standard.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger (EVSE) - newer version 3E02%21113487&authkey=%21ACgrj7VGzaq0d7E&width=660

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Looks exactly like the cable my buddy with a Mach-E hates because it heats up and 10KW drops to 1-2KW after an hour or so. He bought a Chargepoint Flex, beefy cable no issues.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Is there a way to tell just from looking at the outside of the box? I’m buying a new unopened one from someone just curious.

Sponsored

OP
OP
@n!m@l!@

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
Is there a way to tell just from looking at the outside of the box? I’m buying a new unopened one from someone just curious.
Yes, there is a sticker on the side of the box that indicates date of production. Newer version started in Aug 2023. So anything Sep 2023 and later is for sure the newer version.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yes, there is a sticker on the side of the box that indicates date of production. Newer version started in Aug 2023. So anything Sep 2023 and later is for sure the newer version.
Cool thanks for that.
Sponsored