Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

And if they were would we hear about those challenges? That’s my point. I want to be optimistic here also but I just don’t see it.
No, but you would see noticeable behavior from Rivian to indicate there were issues. For example, they'd be actively trying to sell EDVs to anyone and everyone they could instead of running very deliberate pilot programs that they are very secretive about. They are not acting like a company in dire need of moving units right now, so it is reasonable to assume that they are not.
Sponsored

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

No, but you would see noticeable behavior from Rivian to indicate there were issues. For example, they'd be actively trying to sell EDVs to anyone and everyone they could instead of running very deliberate pilot programs that they are very secretive about. They are not acting like a company in dire need of moving units right now, so it is reasonable to assume that they are not.
You sure about that? Sure seems like that to me especially with their R1 vehicles. They’re practically giving them away for free these days with super low lease deals and incentives.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
You sure about that? Sure seems like that to me especially with their R1 vehicles. They’re practically giving them away for free these days with super low lease deals and incentives.
To be fair, nearly every manufacturer does this with prior 'model year' vehicles.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You have no information but you want to sound the alarm, some might call that FUD 🤔

You have to remember that the deal with Amazon is cost+ and the price to produce these is going down, by the end of the decade I wouldn't be surprised if it is half of what it is today. As a result Amazon has no incentive to take on more vans faster than they need/want them.
No “FUD” just contrarian thinking on this message board. I understand we all love the company and the vehicles but don’t look past what’s right in front of you. Everyone will defend Rivian to the end on here but I open the floor for healthy debate.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You have consistently moved the goalposts. This discussion was specific to the EDV, reference Amazon being a bad partner and not acting in good faith. You stated they were not, and said they were reducing orders. When confronted with a lack of evidence to support this claim, you shifted to their failure to increase orders, instead of an actual decrease in orders, to support your position. When confronted with reasonable analysis as to why they would do that, you have now shifted to the R1 to confirm your unfounded reasoning.

A truly impressive display of dissembling. Do you happen to be a lawyer?

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I can see the Rivian info system being an Apple product and than all the Android folks will need to switch for full use of the system. Will Apple and Google control the world? Apple working with Rivian scares me. Can you imagine a RIS with a apple logo? Kind of lame...
If Apple does take over Apple (so to speak) and if they lock out Andriod/google, I guarantee there will be a class action lawsuit. I don't think RJ would want that. I think both OS's can live in the entertainment system.

I would rather have CarPlay from Apple be integrated and Android Auto from Google into the current system.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
If Apple does take over Apple (so to speak) and if they lock out Andriod/google, I guarantee there will be a class action lawsuit...
(scratches head) Which laws would an OEM be breaking if they chose to allow only one specific phone to access convenience functions?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
(scratches head) Which laws would an OEM be breaking if they chose to allow only one specific phone to access convenience functions?
Antitrust laws.
Ask Microsoft... ;)

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Antitrust laws.
Ask Microsoft... ;)
I remember that. They got sued by the government because they weren't allowing OEMS to uninstall Internet Explorer.

United States of America v. Microsoft Corporation, 253 F.3d 34 (D.C. Cir. 2001)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Antitrust laws.
Ask Microsoft... ;)
The vehicle would still be fully functional with allowing only one brand of phone or using no phone at all as it has a vehicle-specific touch-screen interface and is a vehicle, not a laptop or desktop, and the pairing of a specific brand of phone to get enhanced functionality in no way prevents safe execution of the main purpose of the vehicle - transportation. Preventing alternative browsers on consumer computers is entirely different as much of the purpose of those systems is generally communication with the internet.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Also, I forgot to post the main reason I commenting on this thread :/. I've been pondering about what RJ is carefully not saying, and I'm musing here that there may be some effort on Apple's part to bring their software and hardware stack to an up-and-comer such as Rivian because they are making a big effort into AI in general. Rivian has hinted at much better autonomous capability in the future, and Apple has put a lot of effort into making their latest M4 series chips much more capable for AI inference (drawing conclusions from new data) by increasing the neural engine capability. It's not as capable as high end dedicated Nvidia systems, but one comparison I saw said it can deliver one-third the capabilities of best-available GPU cards but at one-tenth the power draw and one-fourth the price, and that's with the just-introduced iPad grade system (still faster than a two year old laptop in many uses). Apple's self-driving capability is an unknown outside of the big fruit, but they would likely want to capitalize in some way on that billion dollars of pocket change they spent on their cancelled car.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I think Rivian has a strong enough brand on their own. I wouldn’t mind if Apple invested in Rivian, like Amazon. Rivian needs money to stay alive.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Antitrust laws.
Ask Microsoft... ;)
Do individual consumers (or a class of individual consumers) have a cause of action under anti-trust law? Microsoft was definitely sued by the US DOJ. Other prominent anti-trust suits have been brought by DOJ or state AGs.

1T2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T3YR1T
Clubs

Apple need to expand AI driving and it needs a platform to get its feet wet. Rivian provides a great platform.

Within 3 months, there must a deal between Apple and Rivian.

AI driving is huge opportunity.

Last edited:

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I really don't want any of Apple's "tech" in Rivian. Its normally behind the times and not as good as competitors. What Apple can help with is Marketing. They are a marketing company that happens to make tech products. Partner with them to build a brand. You see it throughout even this thread. The incorrect assumption by many posters that Apple is some tech leader. That's their marketing swindling people that are gullible (which is a large portion of the buying population). You see something similar with Tesla now. Tesla products are no longer cutting edge, but a large chunk of people swear Tesla invented everything and no other EV tops them. We all know that isn't true anymore but the brand they built did that. Rivian need to do the same.
Sponsored