Sponsored

Rumor: Rivian buying ABRP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It sounds like you have the most expensively configured R1T and you're getting a resale value from the auction market. In high end vehicles I'd imagine the auction market is often $10k below party to party pricing. I'd like to see a database for the used R1T sales prices over the last 8 weeks. I think with a little time and work you could definitely get it sold in the low 70's versus what you're seeing now
Still a loss in the $20k range. My point stands.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't know what you've done to yours, but my 9 month old R1T has a retail value of approximately the same as I paid. Which is exceptional and unheard of in my experience.
So unheard of that it isn't true.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My config is in the $90’s MSRP. Can’t get more than low 60’s in resale. $30k loss.
It seems to me that you're referring to a hypothetical situation that involves a lot of factors that aren't in play in your situation.

Post March Price increase of the highest possible amount.
No tax credit -> They play into resale so you have to account for them
High mileage (to bring the resale value down)
Very low ball offer that even Rivian might beat on a trade in

I don't think you're necessarily wrong about expected resale price after a few years. I do expect an eventual 50% loss. I certainly don't expect the craziness that happened during the pandemic to repeat itself. It is an SUV/Pickup so I expect higher than average resale.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Where did you get the low $60s estimate from? That seems very low for a vehicle around a year old and I assume reasonable condition and mileage. You also didn’t buy it for $90k did you as you had pre March pricing?
That's from seeking actual offers. Best offer I could get was $65k and it required me to buy a vehicle from their business, which I didn't want to do.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
FYI… just downloaded new ABRP 4.4.2 and its route planning has gone bonkers. Lost my courtesy settings, required and account, defaults to metric in the U.S. (gasp) and only suggests a 20min charge for a 500+ Mike trip. Guess I’ll be using Rivian’s nav tomorrow.

Avoid this version.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That's from seeking actual offers. Best offer I could get was $65k and it required me to buy a vehicle from their business, which I didn't want to do.
You probably paid 75k for yours, got the 7.5k tax credit bringing it down to 67.5k so if you sold it for 65 you would have used it for several months for 2500.

Did you list it on Cars and Bids or on Bring a Trailer, these are the latest sales there. Also current listings on Edmunds.

You would be the first person to call out someone for offering up a bad faith argument. Can you show us the places where you are seeing these in the 60k range? If you want to give it away that’s fine but seems like with minimal effort you could get into the 70k range somewhere. In normal times pretty much any car will drop 10% on delivery, these seem to be at least average if not a little better. I know your going to call out the Edmunds listings are asking prices, sure they will probably sell lower but the ones on the auction site are recent sells and buyers pay around a 4500 commission.

Rivian R1T R1S Rumor: Rivian buying ABRP IMG_3345
Rivian R1T R1S Rumor: Rivian buying ABRP IMG_3346
Rivian R1T R1S Rumor: Rivian buying ABRP IMG_3347

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The feature where you can send a point from Google Maps to your Rivian is awesome. I only wish I could share from every app, not just Google Maps. Software 2023.18.0 now allows you to share from Yelp as well, which is an improvement, but I really don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to share co-ordinates and routes from EVERY application that can supply co-ordinates and routes.
Apple Maps also lets you share, but only a single point, not an entire route.

I can use Apple Maps with my Mach E directly for route planning and it connects to the battery in the car and learns the efficiency. Only downfall is that it does not let me set 100% for a future trip, it uses the last read battery capacity. Usually get three route choices.

Ford trip planner is very good and I can set up 10 future trips and send them to the car, it stores them. It ususally gives me three route choices also.

I have tried ABRP with three different EVs and it is way too conservative on range estimates for all of them. I did a recent trip in my Rivian and plugged in the trip into ABRP after the fact, it was off by 20% on its estimates. Yes , I know I can fudge the numbers in the app, but have tried that with other EVs, but I think the calculations based on payload and elevation changes are way off for ABRP.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have tried ABRP with three different EVs and it is way too conservative on range estimates for all of them. I did a recent trip in my Rivian and plugged in the trip into ABRP after the fact, it was off by 20% on its estimates. Yes , I know I can fudge the numbers in the app, but have tried that with other EVs, but I think the calculations based on payload and elevation changes are way off for ABRP.
For what it's worth, I used it for two very hilly routes into the mountains with my MINI. Note, the MINI only had 28.9 kWh usable and ABRP while conservative was pretty damn accurate given all the elevation change I was dealing with. I think going up to Mt. Evans it was within 4% and up to Estes Park it was within 2% on arrival and did pretty good estimating the return trip back down into town too.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For what it's worth, I used it for two very hilly routes into the mountains with my MINI. Note, the MINI only had 28.9 kWh usable and ABRP while conservative was pretty damn accurate given all the elevation change I was dealing with. I think going up to Mt. Evans it was within 4% and up to Estes Park it was within 2% on arrival and did pretty good estimating the return trip back down into town too.
Most of my trips out of Phoneix are at 75mph. I have done Phoenix to Flagstaff a few times in EVs and the speed limit is 75mph much of the way with a 6000 foot climb. ABRP would always tell my my Bolt could not make that trip unless I drove at 55mph. Yet I have made that trip at 75mph and arrived with 26% battery left. For my Mach E it would tell me I would only have 20%, but in reality I would have more than 40% left. Not accurate at all. Maybe on trips with lower speeds it works.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I don’t know enough about this particular software to say with any amount of expertise but I find it hard to beliddd ABRP is of much value considering Rivian has already duplicated much of its functionality.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Anyone who is planning long trips should be using ABRP, among other tools, and not relying exclusively on Rivian's navigation and charger locations.

I do find ABRP to be conservative, but I prefer that over being too optimistic. You can always adjust your kWh/mile number and your preferred highway speed number, among other things, to more accurately reflect your driving habits. But I prefer to stick with the default and be pleasantly surprised that I have more charge remaining at my destination than predicted.

Last edited:

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Isn’t part of Rivian’s long-term business plan to be a commercial fleet management SaaS provider? In light of that, fully acquiring ABRP doesn't sound as crazy as I first thought.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Isn’t part of Rivian’s long-term business plan to be a commercial fleet management SaaS provider?
Yes, absolutely. Most people focus on the consumer vehicles and overlook the commercial side, but that's going to be a major fraction of their revenue long-term going forward. Their partnership with Amazon, working to develop these tools, is going to be a major asset when the Amazon-exclusive contract for the EDV expires. Other manufacturers are just selling commercial vehicles, while Rivian will be selling commercial solutions.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Isn’t part of Rivian’s long-term business plan to be a commercial fleet management SaaS provider? In light of that, fully acquiring ABRP doesn't sound as crazy as I first thought.
Not really. Almost nothing of ABRPs algorithm would apply to delivery routes.

Pretty much the only overlap would be consumption based on weather.
Sponsored