RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I think when I do this, I'm going to mimic the overall diameter of the 20" wheel + Pirelli as much as possible so that there isn't any reprogramming required. .3% seems to be a reasonable deviation from norm and it's likely I wouldn't even notice.
Sponsored

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference IMG_9634

Here is what I got after driving a little over 1k. I’ll be doing a couple road trips to San Diego and Mammoth over the next week. It will be interesting to see what I will get.

So far I’m happy with the switch. Especially with the ride comfort.

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

IMG_9634.jpeg

Here is what I got after driving a little over 1k. I’ll be doing a couple road trips to San Diego and Mammoth over the next week. It will be interesting to see what I will get.

did you do recalibration with the service center?

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
IMG_9634.jpeg

what size did you go with and what load rating? 275/60 or 275/65? LT, XL, or SL?

Sponsored

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

what size did you go with and what load rating? 275/60 or 275/65? LT, XL, or SL?
I switched to the Pirelli AS 3 plus 275/60/20. The load rating is 115H

Last edited:

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Rivian support told me I didn’t need it since I wasn’t changing wheel sizes. They told me just to reset my history.
They're wrong. You need to recalibrate as if you have the stock 21's.

caiudalmau

First Name
Carles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023
Do you remember what you had before?

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

They're wrong. You need to recalibrate as if you have the stock 21's.
I’ll talk with them again. They said the only thing that will change is the estimated range screen. The one that shows conserve, all-purpose, and sport modes

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’ll talk with them again. They said the only thing that will change is the estimated range screen. The one that shows conserve, all-purpose, and sport modes
Stock AT's are 34" and you put on 33" tires. Possible they misunderstood what size you where putting on... because your mileage (and thus efficiency calculator) is off.

Sponsored

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Stock AT's are 34" and you put on 33" tires. Possible they misunderstood what size you where putting on... because your mileage (and thus efficiency calculator) is off.
Ok, thanks. I’ll give them a call and explain to them my exact switch.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I recently made the switch as well from the 20” AT to the Pirellis. I drive in all-purpose mode.
Where did you get them mounted? Discount Tire Direct has $110 off a set of Pirellis right now so I pulled the trigger on 5, so does normal Discount Tire but it wouldn't let me plug in the Rivian for ordering/scheduling.

I'm curious if I bring them in if they'll just go 🤷🏼‍♂️ and do it 🤞

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Where did you get them mounted? Discount Tire Direct has $110 off a set of Pirellis right now so I pulled the trigger on 5, so does normal Discount Tire but it wouldn't let me plug in the Rivian for ordering/scheduling.

I'm curious if I bring them in if they'll just go 🤷🏼‍♂️ and do it 🤞
I went to a local tire shop because America’s Tire in CA won’t sell them because the load rating is not the same.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
So I know they might look a little weird, but has anyone thought about going even a size smaller? 275/55/20. This would be another 1" smaller overall so 32" instead of the stock 33 or 34. And the odometer etc would be off 3% even if calibrated for 33" (21"/22"").

My curiosity is about if this would increase range even more, or at what point there might begin to be diminishing returns.

This idea came up because I found the Scorpion AS Plus 3 in 275/55/20 are available rated 117 and XL. (The 275/60/20 are 116, SL.) And they're also less expensive. Running smaller size and higher psi (XL) I would imagine they'd get a bit better "mileage".

Besides looking weird/bad, and having to be aware of the odometer being off 3%, are there any other negatives to trying this? I'm tempted.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
So I know they might look a little weird, but has anyone thought about going even a size smaller? 275/55/20. This would be another 1" smaller overall so 32" instead of the stock 33 or 34. And the odometer etc would be off 3% even if calibrated for 33" (21"/22"").

My curiosity is about if this would increase range even more, or at what point there might begin to be diminishing returns.

This idea came up because I found the Scorpion AS Plus 3 in 275/55/20 are available rated 117 and XL. (The 275/60/20 are 116, SL.) And they're also less expensive. Running smaller size and higher psi (XL) I would imagine they'd get a bit better "mileage".

Besides looking weird/bad, and having to be aware of the odometer being off 3%, are there any other negatives to trying this? I'm tempted.
My guess is the smaller tire may give you worse efficiency. The tire will have to spin more revolutions to travel the same distance. Having said that, there is usually a sweet spot for a powertrain regarding tire size and efficiency. Going too big or too small can hurt efficiency. Until someone tries it though it is a guess. I expect around town efficiency may go up due to less energy needed to get them rolling but down for highway.
Sponsored