johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

So they were willing to recalibrate you to 21s without 21s? How much and how long did it take?
Yeah…they didn’t give me a hard time. It was $100 for it and I was in the service center for about 2 hrs.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yeah…they didn’t give me a hard time. It was $100 for it and I was in the service center for about 2 hrs.
$100 and 2 hours? What did they did to do other than click some keys on a keyboard plugged into the truck? Any camera action?

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

$100 and 2 hours? What did they did to do other than click some keys on a keyboard plugged into the truck? Any camera action?
The service center had to request the software to do the recalibration. That took time but once they had it, it took like 30 mins in to install.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I can happily report the AS+3 earns an A+ for road trips with the R1T. Our average consumption was 2.29 mi/kWh, compared to 2.16 back in June on ATs, with very similar conditions, a 6.2% improvement! This is after correcting for reefer, electric blanket, outlet use, and mileage error from diameter change. We went with soft ride over stiff this time with the smaller diameter, but maintained conserve and low most places over 50mph, and never bottomed out.

After 2k miles, the front tires are at 10.5/32 (started at 11/32) and rear have no change at 11/32. I highly recommend the swap!

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference PXL_20230728_150619769

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference PXL_20230729_234106948~2

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is very interesting. The potential upside is great. The only issue that I'm concerned about is the load rating. The fact that some stores like Discount tire refuse to install them on the R1 makes me more concerned. I am definitely not an expert so please, forgive the ignorance.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This is very interesting. The potential upside is great. The only issue that I'm concerned about is the load rating. The fact that some stores like Discount tire refuse to install them on the R1 makes me more concerned. I am definitely not an expert so please, forgive the ignorance.
Read through earlier posts (I think only a few pages back) about the math and safety limits. It's within a reasonable safe margin, but no, big box stores won't do it... Yet.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Read through earlier posts (I think only a few pages back) about the math and safety limits. It's within a reasonable safe margin, but no, big box stores won't do it... Yet.
Thanks. I've read through the posts twice. It's one of the best threads on here. I agree that the math is acceptable. Are there other 20" AS options that the big box stores will install? Just trying to make this switch as simple as possible.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Thanks. I've read through the posts twice. It's one of the best threads on here. I agree that the math is acceptable. Are there other 20" AS options that the big box stores will install? Just trying to make this switch as simple as possible.
The only suitable AS tires with a 116 load that isn’t an LT tire that weighs a millions lbs is the General Grabber HTS60. The new Defender out in October will be 116– seems like it was designed for new ev trucks in mind.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Any concerns with possible issues down the road with these? I have 20 darks as well and unsure if these will have issues down the line or will work perfectly.
2500 miles so far using them on the R1T, mostly a road trip, and we're good 🤜🪵

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Did you go to a local installer? Since discount tire and other big brands won’t do it from what I’ve read
Sure did, real nice folks who just get the job done and don't spend 20 minutes typing things into the computer before you even get to your tires.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Any concerns with possible issues down the road with these? I have 20 darks as well and unsure if these will have issues down the line or will work perfectly.
I actually don’t have concerns. I just completed a trip from LA to Zion and was very happy with the way the tires handled and the improvement in range. I’ll post soon my numbers.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Scorpion AS+ tire swap (from 20" Scorpion AT) - WOW big difference IMG_9887

We just completed our trip to Zion from LA. Charged at Barstow then at Mesquite. All on conserve mode. From Barstow to Mesquite I charged to 98% and was left with 60 miles to spare. Autocamp Zion has chargers so that was super helpful so we didn’t have to battle other EVs at the park. Highly recommend staying there.
Also, I had my truck recalibrated to the 21” before this trip.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

IMG_9887.jpeg

We just completed our trip to Zion from LA. Charged at Barstow then at Mesquite. All on conserve mode. From Barstow to Mesquite I charged to 98% and was left with 60 miles to spare. Autocamp Zion has chargers so that was super helpful so we didn’t have to battle other EVs at the park. Highly recommend staying there.
Also, I had my truck recalibrated to the 21” before this trip.
Is that a pretty flat drive with warm temps? Our Montana adventure took us through a lot of passes and had surprisingly cool nights in the low 50s then real hot days in the high 90s (BMS power use?), which I blame both for lower efficiency. But still an improvement over previous trips on ATs.
Sponsored