Sponsored

"Slower due to warm plug" message while charging

mightyratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I saw charging speed dropped from 11kw to 8kw and went out to the garage to see what was going on. I see this message on the charging screen. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Rivian R1T R1S "Slower due to warm plug" message while charging IMG_6046
Sponsored

MiamiRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Motor
Clubs

I’m not sure if this is the same problem but I had a similar error on my Model 3 using a 240V outlet with a mobile charger. This YouTube video provides the fix for the Tesla that worked for me - basically loose connections in the outlet. My Rivian uses the same outlet to charge and I’ve been OK so far.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
It was in the release notes in the latest (2023.23.0) update:

• For AC charging, it the connector becomes too warm, the vehicle automatically lowers the power to sately continue charging, and a message appears on the driver and center displays.

OP
OP
mightyratz

mightyratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
It was in the release notes in the latest (2023.23.0) update:

• For AC charging, it the connector becomes too warm, the vehicle automatically lowers the power to sately continue charging, and a message appears on the driver and center displays.
Thanks for the info :)

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
This might happen if the sun is shining on your charger handle and/or your garage air temp is hot (which these days is a likely possibility!).

Sponsored

OP
OP
mightyratz

mightyratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
This might happen if the sun is shining on your charger handle and/or your garage air temp is hot (which these days is a likely possibility!).
Garage has now reached 100 degrees 😳

Byulasfjazz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Van
Occupation
Franchise owner
I saw charging speed dropped from 11kw to 8kw and went out to the garage to see what was going on. I see this message on the charging screen. Anyone know why this might be happening?

IMG_6046.jpeg
I also saw this yesterday for the first time.. it was in my garage and not that hot. Even the cord was a little warm but nothing I haven’t felt before.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Can I ask what EVSE you're using and how long it was charging before it de-rated?

OP
OP
mightyratz

mightyratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Can I ask what EVSE you're using and how long it was charging before it de-rated?
I'm using the Rivian wall charger. Looks like it dropped to 7-8kw in the late afternoon, during the hottest part of the day. It wasn't charging for very long, I'd just got home and plugged it in shortly before that.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Rivian may need to redefine "warm" to be relative to ambient rather than using a fixed value.

If your connector is 120F when it is 60F outside is undoubtedly a sign of a serious problem.

But a 120F connector when it is 110F outside should not trigger a warning or derating action unless there is actually a component that is at risk of melting. (and in that case - they should probably switch out to more heat tolerant materials)

Reactions: rpo

Sponsored

SD Rivian

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Portfolio manager
The same thing happened to me the past two days with 100 degree outside temps. Seems like the battery cooling feature is consuming more of the power so less is going to the battery. Went from usual charging at 11 miles per hour to 6 miles per hour.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

They pretty much lowered the amp on the fly.

This happened to me after about 1 hour of charging overnight.

In the morning when it was cooler, I just unplugged and plugged it back in to let it hit 11 kW.

They need to raise the temperature threshold a little and then have the amperage cycle back up sooner rather than later when the temperatures cool back down. I am sure they just released the amperage throttling ASAP and then will refine it in future releases.

Mike2325

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had the same issue, I was convinced it was a software update issue.
I just checked the breaker and found wires extremely loose. ( I watched my electrician tighten them up a few months ago...they were very tight )
This is going to be an issue when 48 amps are being pulled through these breakers, I'd suggest checking the connections.

Mike2325

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I was only able to charge at 8kwh before tightening the breaker wires, now it's been doing 11kwh

Rivian R1T R1S "Slower due to warm plug" message while charging Screenshot_20230731_224419_Rivian

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm using the Rivian wall charger. Looks like it dropped to 7-8kw in the late afternoon, during the hottest part of the day. It wasn't charging for very long, I'd just got home and plugged it in shortly before that.
I think they use that as a gauge for keeping the battery cool as well. I have a place in the desert, was close to 120 last week and over 105 in my garage and my R1S was charging at 7 kW. Just for reference, I am using an Emporia wall charger usually at 44 amps and usually get 10kW.

Probably time to get a quote for a mini-split for the garage out there to charge in the summer. Probably be better for the vehicle overall to keep the garage under 90 degrees.
Sponsored