Sponsored

So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Yikes!

I confirmed an order last week from the R1 Shop on a truck with a VIN of 9811. :eek:
Don't worry about it, mine vin is in the 4500s and I haven't had any suspension issues yet. hopefully the service centers will go over theses issues even more specifically before you pick up your truck anyway.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Another example with similar production numbers.

Porsche is delivering about 20k Taycan's per year in the US.

33 complaints, 10 recalls, 1 investigation, and 252 communications.

FWIW my friends taycan has been in the shop for 3 months, they are basically replacing the whole drivetrain, his car stopped mid drive and bricked lol

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I find it concerning also. I've read about multiple people complaining to service centers about creaking/clunking noises, or alignment (which could be caused by a few things) and the service centers write it off as normal.
You just misunderstood. They didn't say this was "normal" they said, "this is a Normal problem".

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You just misunderstood. They didn't say this was "normal" they said, "this is a Normal problem".
I dropped my vehicle off at SC today. Went out for a test ride with a tech. Basically he says "behaves normal". We clearly heard the front clunking noise. Mine was not there at delivery, only noticed it after alignment fix by the SC. More information about clunking/clicking noise here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-tocking-when-stopping-or-starting.5748/

I get the feeling that SCs don't share data with each other. I asked how many people had/complained the clunking issue, he said maybe 1 before me. And in terms of wheel falling off incident, none of them were aware

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

At least this looks like it happened at low speed…

Im thinking about removing them from our group, they took pics from our FB group only to kind of weaponize it on twitter and tagging competitors lol. Sort of a "TOOL" move but idk lol

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
FWIW my friends taycan has been in the shop for 3 months, they are basically replacing the whole drivetrain, his car stopped mid drive and bricked lol
I bought a 2020 Taycan in August of 2020 and sold it last fall. I owned it for 13 months, drove it 10k miles, and never had a single problem. During the winter of 20/21 there were lots of people on the forums having similar drive train issues. Car would completely brick and stop suddenly on the highway. Porsche took months to respond and there were lots of cancelled orders and people looking to bail. My guess is it happened to less than 100 cars but boy did you hear about it.

By no means do I want to minimize the issues people are reporting. Hell I take delivery tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous and will be really sensitive to any noises and suspension issues. I could end up with a lemon, or end up with a flawless truck. But at the moment it seems major issues still are rare and so far Rivian seems to be handling these issues on par with other manufacturers. We should expect better, and they should continue to improve, but I'm not ready to walk away from my R1T or declare this a disaster.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Yes its a bit of a tool move to tag Tesla in it, but honestly this is a pretty scary failure when some of us have suspension clunking issues. I’m gonna go check mine right away and also filed a ticket about my clunking suspension based on this tweet, so its potentially good to spread this news if it is a more widespread issue.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Fwiw - I just checked my truck - pretty easy to do at max height and full steering lock. Nothing looks to have moved on mine, though one side is missing some markings. Ball joints are all fully threaded upper and lower. My vin is in the low 4000s.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I dropped my vehicle off at SC today. Went out for a test ride with a tech. Basically he says "behaves normal". We clearly heard the front clunking noise. Mine was not there at delivery, only noticed it after alignment fix by the SC. More information about clunking/clicking noise here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-tocking-when-stopping-or-starting.5748/

I get the feeling that SCs don't share data with each other. I asked how many people had/complained the clunking issue, he said maybe 1 before me. And in terms of wheel falling off incident, none of them were aware
from what people are hearing when they take their trucks in to service centers, seems like techs are saying those sounds are "normal" or within "tolerances". so clearly Rivian is not acknowledging its a problem yet oand they haven't figured out a solution which they can share with SCs.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Im thinking about removing them from our group, they took pics from our FB group only to kind of weaponize it on twitter and tagging competitors lol. Sort of a "TOOL" move but idk lol
What exactly is the story behind this photo?

I’m also not a truckologist but not only does this look like it happened at low speed, it looks like it happened at NO speed. How could the wheel “fall” off so cleanly? It doesn’t appear to have been dragged an inch. The rest of the 7,000 lb truck didn’t run it over.. so all of that momentum just stopped precisely as the wheel fell at a perfectly 90-degree angle from the rest of the truck? Hmm.

I’m a long way from believing that a few pops and creaks are a precursor to this outcome en mass. There are a lot of ulterior motives out there on the anonymous interwebs so I think I’ll just spectate awhile before forming opinions.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Yes its a bit of a tool move to tag Tesla in it, but honestly this is a pretty scary failure when some of us have suspension clunking issues. I’m gonna go check mine right away and also filed a ticket about my clunking suspension based on this tweet, so its potentially good to spread this news if it is a more widespread issue.
in case someone forgot--f..g tesla and their "whompy wheels" threads are a well-known thing-- just google it.

Rivian R1T R1S So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why. 1660602164923

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
in case someone forgot--f..g tesla and their "whompy wheels" threads are a well-known thing-- just google it.

1660602164923.png
Yeah that’s what I would expect the aftermath to look like when a wheel falls off a moving vehicle.

derichio02

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla Model S
Kind of an old thread but does anyone have the torque specs for the ball joint/ knuckle. It’s fine just making sure it’s tight but that’s not ensuring it is to spec. I saw 90nm somewhere but…

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Rivian R1T R1S So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why. 1664091505599

Houston we have a problem…
Sponsored