Sponsored

So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

tonys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIS
Occupation
IT
I have a delivery scheduled for this week and reading all this makes me think it would be best to wait for 2023… sure I would lose the value of a good finance rate, but don’t need a safety issue. Anyone else of the same mindset i.e. would not take delivery until root cause for this type of issue is fixed in new builds?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have a delivery scheduled for this week and reading all this makes me think it would be best to wait for 2023… sure I would lose the value of a good finance rate, but don’t need a safety issue. Anyone else of the same mindset i.e. would not take delivery until root cause for this type of issue is fixed in new builds?
I am thinking for you, based on concern, probably best to wait.

For me, I have had mine for about 5 months now, 10k miles, and although I had a few things that needed to be addressed, and one more to still address, I wouldn't trade those 5 months and 10k of miles, for anything I have ever experienced in the vehicle world. The R1 is so ground breaking, that as an enthusiast, I can't imagine I will ever experience this vehicular ownership excitement again.

But that is me. And for some, these issues may make it better to wait a while for things to develope. I can say waiting isn't as fool proof as it sounds. Over my lifetime, I have bought many products, including cars, that should have been well thru the teething stages, and yet still had significant problems. Including on truck that ended up being a buy back it was so bad. So waiting isn't simply fool proof.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Nothing in life is guaranteed. I've bought mid model year cars that were total and complete garbage to the point I had to sue a dealership. The way Rivian has handled any issues I've had is better than any dealership besides my current Audi dealer which is on par. Speaking for myself I realize that most auto manufacturers have some major lemons floating around out there and getting one is mostly the luck of the draw. By now Rivian has most of those brand new bugs worked out. There are a few issues, and yes this seems fairly serious but so far it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. Two vehicles out of 11K isn't a very high failure rate for this issue. That's .018% of total vehicles so far that we know of have had a wheel fall off.

If I was living my life trying to avoid a risk percentage of .018% I would be a bubble boy locked up in a bomb shelter eating boiled chicken. Your risk of getting killed in an auto accident in general is higher than that. I think it's important to keep things in context risk wise.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

It isn’t every truck that has a problem. I don’t have one, but hoping to by the end of the year. Every car manufacturer has problems. I do have concerns about my nearest service center being 2.5 hours away if I do have problems. I do have pre-March 1 pricing, so that helps also. If the truck turns out to be a legitimate problem for me, I’ll trade it in for something else. I do plan on keeping another car, so the Rivian won’t be my only option if it did have problems. Forums are full of bad news. Not much on the good side.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Forums are full of bad news. Not much on the good side.
I generally agree with this statement, and if I were the owner of one of these two trucks, I would have a different take on it—only one of the joints totally failed, so that’s a 75% success rate.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
If I was living my life trying to avoid a risk percentage of .018% I would be a bubble boy locked up in a bomb shelter eating boiled chicken. Your risk of getting killed in an auto accident in general is higher than that. I think it's important to keep things in context risk wise.
If commercial aviation had a 0.018% crash rate we would see 8 airplane crashes every single day in the US alone. Federal regulators grounded the 737 MAX for 18 months after 2 incidents.

Once you start getting to scale, catastrophic failures like this just aren't acceptable, if the wheel comes off at speed someone who never signed up for this experience could be killed.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If commercial aviation had a 0.018% crash rate we would see 8 airplane crashes every single day in the US alone. Federal regulators grounded the 737 MAX for 18 months after 2 incidents.

Once you start getting to scale, catastrophic failures like this just aren't acceptable, if the wheel comes off at speed someone who never signed up for this experience could be killed.
Now do auto accident rate. Hint, it's higher than .018%. This isn't acceptable, but it's still an extremely small sample failure. Every manufacturer has had some really severe failures and that's a pretty low rate. We don't want to compare to commercial aviation, as the regulations and oversight there are a whole different ballgame.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia

I genuinely don't understand people making light of such a ridiculously dangerous failure mode, which could easily send you careening across lanes into an oncoming semi. One of these incidents is a fluke. Multiple low mileage incidents inside of 10K units is an abject failure of their quality management systems.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
100 out of 100 times I would take delivery.

tonys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIS
Occupation
IT
100 out of 100 times I would take delivery.
I totally realize it’s a major overreaction as likelihood is small. However if the truck was to start making clunking noises from the suspension I would likely wait for service to inspect before driving the kids. I have had Teslas for many years so understand the early adopter scenario. I was totally fine with accepting the higher probability of breakdown or tonneau Issues given the amazing vehicle I get in return. I’ll dwell and decide.
Sponsored

Last edited: