Sponsored

So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yikes!

I confirmed an order last week from the R1 Shop on a truck with a VIN of 9811. :eek:
It's right near my VIN too, but I checked those bolts on my truck and they seem fine

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
How are people checking ball joint bolts? Just a simple visual make sure the nut is present?

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The media would be all over this incident if it were a Tesla.

This is an extremely serious error made at the assembly plant. I see a recall coming out soon.

Rivian R1T R1S So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why. 1660569894620

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
So I think someone posted on FB the whole front left wheel came off. And I think it was missing this bolt as well.

Brand new truck 98XX VIN.

I am not in the FB group but this was shared by @kanundrum on discord:

FB_IMG_1660431117016.jpg
FB_IMG_1660431119026.jpg
Why does it always have to land cheese side down? /s

In all seriousness someone has GOT to see this photo and make changes in the QC process at the factory ASAP. This was incredibly lucky to have happened in a slow residential area and not a canyon road somewhere.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Probably the first time I've legit considered just bailing on my preorder. Incredibly dangerous failure that should never have been allowed to happen.
Says an Alfa owner ;)

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Says an Alfa owner ;)
Hah, yeah my pain tolerance for reliability woes is pretty high, but I draw the line at safety-critical issues. A 7000 lb lithium ion battery with 800 hp and 3 wheels is not my idea of a good time. I'd say this one picture probably cut my confidence in the company in half.

I had low expectations for the Alfa because of all the press coverage but it's been obnoxiously reliable over 40K miles.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I did some digging on the NHTSA website. Some interesting notes.

R1T only has 1 formal complaint, 1 recall, and 24 manufacturers communications. The communications are basically a bulletin for their service centers to be aware of potential issues.

Comparing the R1T versus some other new models like the Polestar 2 or the Ford Bronco is interesting.

Polestar: 26 complaints, 1 recall, and 32 communications
Ford Bronco: 71 complaints, 3 recalls, 2 investigations, and 93 communications

Now throw in the Tesla Model Y: 534 complaints, 12 recalls, 4 investigations, yet only 12 communications.

My take away is based on NHTSA numbers so far, Rivian has very few complaints, yet seems to be pretty good about providing communications to the service centers. Compared to Tesla for example which has hundreds of complaints (yes it's much higher volume) but only 12 communications. It's like Tesla isn't providing support to their service centers compared to the other OEMs. Also note the Bronco has a bunch of issues and it sounds like they have had some serious engine failures.

It seems Rivian is taking these issues seriously and hopefully will issues a recall/communication to check suspension bolts, torques, components, etc.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I did some digging on the NHTSA website. Some interesting notes.

R1T only has 1 formal complaint, 1 recall, and 24 manufacturers communications. The communications are basically a bulletin for their service centers to be aware of potential issues.

Comparing the R1T versus some other new models like the Polestar 2 or the Ford Bronco is interesting.

Polestar: 26 complaints, 1 recall, and 32 communications
Ford Bronco: 71 complaints, 3 recalls, 2 investigations, and 93 communications

Now throw in the Tesla Model Y: 534 complaints, 12 recalls, 4 investigations, yet only 12 communications.

My take away is based on NHTSA numbers so far, Rivian has very few complaints, yet seems to be pretty good about providing communications to the service centers. Compared to Tesla for example which has hundreds of complaints (yes it's much higher volume) but only 12 communications. It's like Tesla isn't providing support to their service centers compared to the other OEMs. Also note the Bronco has a bunch of issues and it sounds like they have had some serious engine failures.

It seems Rivian is taking these issues seriously and hopefully will issues a recall/communication to check suspension bolts, torques, components, etc.
What your data lacks is the context... 9700 R1Ts delivered: 1/1/24. Polestar 2, what like 2 delivered?:26/1/32: F150 Lightning? , Bronco?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
What your data lacks is the context... 9700 R1Ts delivered: 1/1/24. Polestar 2, what like 2 delivered?:26/1/32: F150 Lightning? , Bronco?
Polestar delivered 21k units in the first half. Maybe 25-30% in the US. So similar production numbers of the R1T.

Yes the Bronco is much higher volume, but it's a new model and just because they delivered more vehicles doesn't mean they should have more recalls or communications. Complaints would be tied to the number of deliveries.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Another example with similar production numbers.

Porsche is delivering about 20k Taycan's per year in the US.

33 complaints, 10 recalls, 1 investigation, and 252 communications.
Sponsored