Sponsored

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
Hi all,

Usual disclaimer: As always take this info with a grain of salt since it's information/opinion shared by a tech I talked to recently. I also may have misunderstood things or may be misremembering.

I dropped off my R1S recently and had a chance to talk to a tech. I brought up the refresh and he gave me some info that was new to me and couldn't find after a quick search on r/Rivian and on rivianforums.

• Refresh is being launched next week. (!!!) I assume he means that it will be announced next week.
  • They had a refresh R1S in the shop for a while and the techs already have all the information on servicing it, etc.
  • Working on the refresh seems to be better/easier from the techs' perspective. Maybe it's because of less wiring, etc.
  • In his opinion the suspension and ride quality is noticeably better. I failed to ask if this was due to mechanical changes or just software.
  • Motor noise is much quieter. I think he mentioned the noise dampening is better, rather than the motor having different design, etc.
  • New AC compressor, quieter and better in general.
  • Pricing on the dual motors should be same/similar, but the quad motors will be more expensive. Quad motor version not ready yet.
He also mentioned exterior differences, heat pump, wireless charger, and new battery, but I think these were already known with recently leaked photos and documents.

Before I left I asked the ultimate question... knowing what he knows now about both versions, if he were to buy a R1S right now, which would he choose? He said he felt bad for saying this (I mentioned I owned the car for just over 2 months), but definitely the refresh. I feel like this carries some weight coming from someone who knows firsthand a lot about the mechanical changes in the refresh.

With all this said, I heard 80% of new features will be passed down to pre-refresh vehicles. I could only guess here but maybe the suspension and the better ride feel that the tech mentioned could just be a software update. I should have asked more in detail if the suspension/motor changes are all hardware or not.

I'm definitely happy with my R1S but I thought I'd share and add to the refresh hype and maybe help some people with their decisions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The bit about the quad being more makes me wonder if they are going to make QM only available with the premium trim.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid, R1T DM Std.+
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Oh well......

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
The tri motor is probably going to be Enduro. Everyone who ones one enjoys the quad but it will probably be a true flagship variant that they stop making..

just spitballing here

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would like to see the quad motor come out with 1200 HP and higher speed limit.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

or Enduro
Bosch (Origin) is out already. Ascent is the new quad drive program. I know no details on the motors but I am really hoping to see some of Rivian's drivetrain patents make their way into these drives. They should be more costly if so.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
I’d be more disappointed if he told you he would choose the pre-refresh. We need the company to succeed & that doesn’t happen if they are not improving/selling more vehicles
I guess I haven't thought about it that way! I agree that things improving is good for the company and as a result for the customers. Just a bit of FOMO on the new features but overall I am very happy with my R1S already.

Sponsored

riviatl

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone/Ocean Coast
Occupation
Attorney
What obviously sucks the most about this is that they really didn't start mass-delivering R1S vehicles until about a year ago, so even though it was first demoed in 2018, they're launching significant refreshes in just a year. I know cars historically had model year changes, but year to year isn't generally that significant. This seems like a 3-4 year mid-cycle refresh.

R1Guest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think that’s a pretty standard answer. I’ve felt like all the iPhones have operated relatively the same the past 8 years. That doesn’t mean the latest one isn’t technically the best option. Incremental upgrades usually be better. It doesn’t necessarily mean the old one isn’t nearly as good or noticeably different.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

NGL I'm tempted to sell my quad and buy a dual refresh just for the upgraded AC and heatpump.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,

Usual disclaimer: As always take this info with a grain of salt since it's information/opinion shared by a tech I talked to recently. I also may have misunderstood things or may be misremembering.

I dropped off my R1S recently and had a chance to talk to a tech. I brought up the refresh and he gave me some info that was new to me and couldn't find after a quick search on r/Rivian and on rivianforums.

• Refresh is being launched next week. (!!!) I assume he means that it will be announced next week.
  • They had a refresh R1S in the shop for a while and the techs already have all the information on servicing it, etc.
  • Working on the refresh seems to be better/easier from the techs' perspective. Maybe it's because of less wiring, etc.
  • In his opinion the suspension and ride quality is noticeably better. I failed to ask if this was due to mechanical changes or just software.
  • Motor noise is much quieter. I think he mentioned the noise dampening is better, rather than the motor having different design, etc.
  • New AC compressor, quieter and better in general.
  • Pricing on the dual motors should be same/similar, but the quad motors will be more expensive. Quad motor version not ready yet.
He also mentioned exterior differences, heat pump, wireless charger, and new battery, but I think these were already known with recently leaked photos and documents.

Before I left I asked the ultimate question... knowing what he knows now about both versions, if he were to buy a R1S right now, which would he choose? He said he felt bad for saying this (I mentioned I owned the car for just over 2 months), but definitely the refresh. I feel like this carries some weight coming from someone who knows firsthand a lot about the mechanical changes in the refresh.

With all this said, I heard 80% of new features will be passed down to pre-refresh vehicles. I could only guess here but maybe the suspension and the better ride feel that the tech mentioned could just be a software update. I should have asked more in detail if the suspension/motor changes are all hardware or not.

I'm definitely happy with my R1S but I thought I'd share and add to the refresh hype and maybe help some people with their decisions.
I wonder if the nice R2 steering wheel will make its debut? Hoping it can be retrofitted onto existing R1s!

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Everyone upset they're missing out on the refresh:
Don't buy the refresh.

It's a terrible idea.

Because you know, at some point, they'll refresh the refresh! And you'll miss out on that one!!!!! (THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!--but not yours, theirs. The 'refresh' of your children, if you will... ;) )
Sponsored