Sponsored

Speed Limiting Through OTA Updates? What's Next?

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I regularly max out the vehicle and noticed the 'slowness.' hah

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

Maybe I'm a lunatic, but I've hit the speed limiter a few times in the month I've had it. It gets there too quickly. People can bestow their "wisdom" upon you all you want, but as someone who spent many miles on a track, and knowing how to control a vehicle at high speeds (and when not to go those high speeds based on factors like road conditions, traffic, vehicle feedback, etc) like a responsible fun living adult, I prefer to go to the limit that is mechanically safe, rather than what could be presumably restricted for other reasons. Which, who knows in this case, i'm not questioning it.

To get at some of the criticism here. My fist doesn't have to touch your nose in order for me to feel like I live in a free world. I could enjoy all the fruits of life without impacting yours. It's what responsible, educated and respectful neighbors do (and why I am one of those people who consciously stop completely at stop signs, and drive 25mph in neighborhoods). We don't create laws for the lowest common denominator (people who can't handle a fast vehicle). If we did, no one would be allowed to drive on the road at all. Also, yes, in a free country we can pick and chose the laws we abide to, because being free means we are also responsible and understand the consequences of our actions and own up to them. Some people speed from time to time, others roll through stops. It's your choice, as long as you aren't endangering others intentionally or irresponsibly.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Maybe I'm a lunatic, but I've hit the speed limiter a few times in the month I've had it. It gets there too quickly. People can bestow their "wisdom" upon you all you want, but as someone who spent many miles on a track, and knowing how to control a vehicle at high speeds (and when not to go those high speeds based on factors like road conditions, traffic, vehicle feedback, etc) like a responsible fun living adult, I prefer to go to the limit that is mechanically safe, rather than what could be presumably restricted for other reasons. Which, who knows in this case, i'm not questioning it.

To get at some of the criticism here. My fist doesn't have to touch your nose in order for me to feel like I live in a free world. I could enjoy all the fruits of life without impacting yours. It's what responsible, educated and respectful neighbors do (and why I am one of those people who consciously stop completely at stop signs, and drive 25mph in neighborhoods). We don't create laws for the lowest common denominator (people who can't handle a fast vehicle). If we did, no one would be allowed to drive on the road at all. Also, yes, in a free country we can pick and chose the laws we abide to, because being free means we are also responsible and understand the consequences of our actions and own up to them. Some people speed from time to time, others roll through stops. It's your choice, as long as you aren't endangering others intentionally or irresponsibly.
Every single accident starts with "I didn't think that could happen". So while you're on your back country road with no one for miles you didn't see the young couple hidden by a large tree about to cross the road. Sure, they should have looked but since you were going 130 you turned them into paste. Or better yet the little kid chasing after the soccer ball.

I'm not saying that I'm not guilty of doing reckless and stupid shit in my day. I am, and I have done these things. I've also driven tons of cars from super cars on down and I've pushed those limits. I'm not going to pretend that I can anticipate what's going to happen and that I'm good enough to avoid any risk. Any time you speed to a great degree on a public road you are putting others at risk.

At least stop lying to yourself about the fact that the danger to others DOES exist outside of closed conditions. The people most likely to go too far are the ones who are lying to themselves about the true danger of what they are doing.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
I got pulled over going 111 and the cop asked me “why were you going so fast?” I replied “because it wouldn’t go any faster, trust me I tried”

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’m four months in and haven’t even seen 100 yet.. am I the only one?
No. In fact the only time I've gotten about 80 was when I was in an area where 80 is the speed limit for a weekend.

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

Every single accident starts with "I didn't think that could happen". So while you're on your back country road with no one for miles you didn't see the young couple hidden by a large tree about to cross the road. Sure, they should have looked but since you were going 130 you turned them into paste. Or better yet the little kid chasing after the soccer ball.

I'm not saying that I'm not guilty of doing reckless and stupid shit in my day. I am, and I have done these things. I've also driven tons of cars from super cars on down and I've pushed those limits. I'm not going to pretend that I can anticipate what's going to happen and that I'm good enough to avoid any risk. Any time you speed to a great degree on a public road you are putting others at risk.

At least stop lying to yourself about the fact that the danger to others DOES exist outside of closed conditions. The people most likely to go too far are the ones who are lying to themselves about the true danger of what they are doing.
I don't question the danger to others, at all. It's part of the risk of living in a free society. Same can be said for far more than just people driving spiritedly in their cars. If I made a mistake, it'd be tragic, could end some ones life, including my own or my family's. It would be a horrible reality that either I'd have to live with, go to jail for, or the people left behind would have to remember me for making a mistake. This understanding comes with a free society.

And to be clear, there is a limit difference between driving recklessly and having fun responsibly. Likely wont see me carving up a back country road in the twisties with a 7k lb truck at 130mph (maybe 70-80mph tho). But it's for me to make that decision as a responsible adult who weighs those options, not for it to be made for me. Some people aren't responsible with the freedom, are reckless, and go beyond their abilities, or just have plain bad luck, then cause an accident, or worse, death. Their lack of responsibility, bad luck, or otherwise, shouldn't impact any other persons ability to make decisions for themselves. If we did, think of all the things people "couldn't" do. because some else abused a freedom.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

If nothing else it may come down to potential litigation.

For every person who thinks they can handle a 7,000+ pound vehicle at 130 mph, there is probably at least one potential surviving family member who would sue Rivian for letting them go that fast. Even though the tires are rated for 130 mph, add cargo and an emergency braking maneuver and the engineers may have decided to err on the side of caution so the only factor is driver error and not tire failure.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've seen plenty of videos of animals getting hit trying to cross a "closed track" to know even those places aren't totally safe to drive those speeds.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don't question the danger to others, at all. It's part of the risk of living in a free society. Same can be said for far more than just people driving spiritedly in their cars. If I made a mistake, it'd be tragic, could end some ones life, including my own or my family's. It would be a horrible reality that either I'd have to live with, go to jail for, or the people left behind would have to remember me for making a mistake. This understanding comes with a free society.
You don't live in a free society, sorry :(

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I've also driven tons of cars from super cars on down and I've pushed those limits.
One other thing that adds to the danger for others: they aren’t used to a vehicle moving so quickly while making so little noise. Many of us have driven fast but probably not so quietly that others couldn’t hear us coming from a good distance.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One other thing that adds to the danger for others: they aren’t used to a vehicle moving so quickly while making so little noise. Many of us have driven fast but probably not so quietly that others couldn’t hear us coming from a good distance.
Tire noise is what you hear from most vehicles at speed. Not the engine, unless they changed the muffler.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Tire noise is what you hear from most vehicles at speed. Not the engine, unless they changed the muffler.
The two fastest cars I’ve owned (Jaguar XJ SuperV8 and Corvette) were both unmodified from their factory config. I promise you that tire noise was not the first thing you heard from either of them outside the car anywhere near wide open throttle at speed. The Jaguar had much less exhaust noise but the supercharger whine was noticeable.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

speaking of speed..

I would argue that driving over a 100 mph in the dark is pretty stupid. Poor cow.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
As smart as you may think you are, online forums are always full of super smart people who know better than you do!

I’m excited for the day when a law is passed that electronically limits ALL vehicles on the road to the posted speed LIMIT. And they can limit that reckless acceleration of passenger vehicles to a safer timeframe as well. 0-60 in 3 seconds is much too dangerous. WHP should be limited on every vehicle because anything over what is absolutely necessary for the specific task is also dangerous. Passenger vehicle weight is also a concern so that needs to be limited to prevent heavier vehicles from crushing lighter ones in an accident.

Shame on all of you reckless people for making the choice to drive over the speed limit! That’s not what performance vehicles are for!
Sponsored