Sponsored

Speed Limiting Through OTA Updates? What's Next?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well the good thing here is for those conspiracists that think they are being "controlled" by Rivian for having a limiter of 111MPH, is that you also have freedom of choice to purchase any other electric pickup you want. Oh wait.. the F150 EV is also 111MPH. Collusion between Rivian and Ford!?
The Hummer is limited at 106. Definitely some kind of an EV pickup conspiracy going on here. Maybe the Cybertruck will be unlimited.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

If Rivian didn't derate the motors above ~90 mph, I'm confident my truck would be able to hit at least 120 in the quarter mile. The description of the power curve from people that went to the event in 2021 was that it was a constant pull until 130 mph. Even with the drop in power, I still hit the limiter somewhere around 1000 ft
I would love to see if Rivian had any internal 1/4 mile times recorded without that restriction.

Tesla increased HP and higher top speed once they had enough data to show it was safe to do so. Who knows, maybe Rivian may as well. Maybe they're waiting to see what the Cyber Truck can do first...

https://insideevs.com/news/343143/t...-power-higher-top-speed-with-software-update/

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I vote to take the limit to 130 at Least in sport mode. Need them better 1/4 mile times.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
It's kind of a moot point. Most boosted super/turbocharged ICE high-performance cars come into their own (on a track) in the 90-155 mph range. Most tracks aren't long enough to sustain that speed. The Rivian is petering out by the time it hits triple digits.

Most EVs (like other vehicles) are optimized to drive well, be efficient and comfortable at normal speeds/conditions.

Just because Rivian copied some of the Mclaren shock tech (so they don't have to use anti-roll bars) doesn't mean it is one.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's kind of a moot point. Most boosted super/turbocharged ICE high-performance cars come into their own (on a track) in the 90-155 mph range. Most tracks aren't long enough to sustain that speed. The Rivian is petering out by the time it hits triple digits.
The power the Rivian has at those speeds is intentionally reduced versus what they demonstrated to people at their first event in 2021 that @DuckTruck went to.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The power the Rivian has at those speeds is intentionally reduced versus what they demonstrated to people at their first event in 2021 that @DuckTruck went to.
While 111 will be more than enough for most of my commuting needs, the difference between that and 130 is surreal, especially in such a quiet, composed vehicle. The tester in Normal continued to pull hard to about 120 to 122, but kept climbing until that 25 MPH turn sign popped up.

It's very nice that the seats are easy to clean.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Well it sucked today when I got behind this souped-up Audi he gunned it, I floored it, caught up and passed him. Before I know it we have hit 110 and he then proceeds to pass me with a big grin. I mean..... I don't need to go 110, but........... Audi

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Have we thought about the weight and density if these 7700lb trucks. There is so much carnage it will create at 116 mph. Its not a sportscar and it wont stop at a fair distance.... i think it makes sense to reduce speed

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Well it sucked today when I got behind this souped-up Audi he gunned it, I floored it, caught up and passed him. Before I know it we have hit 110 and he then proceeds to pass me with a big grin. I mean..... I don't need to go 110, but........... Audi
unless their tune removed it, the Audi would Be limited to 155.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hopefully your statement was in jest but hard to tell.

So let's say you bumped the Rivian limiter to 130. Then you're tire and/or powertrain limited and the BMW keeps blowing past you all the way to 155 (or more in some cases). There's always somebody faster.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Most cars are electronically limited to the max speed rating of the factory mounted tire. The pirellis on the rivians are rated to 130 ( the 21’s) so in my opinion we should get 130. The OP’s raptor is limited to the rating of the factory mounted BFG at ko2.
My assumption was the 20inch at tires on the rivian were lower rated hence all trucks were limited for ease.

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
I read somewhere that these motors have a failure RPM that correlates with roughly 130MPH. I think 110 would be a good buffer from the catastrophic motor failure RPM.
That would imply a 15% safety factor, which makes perfect sense.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I'd think the lower speed rating could be for a combination several factors including:
  • tires with s safety margin
  • engine/driveline stress
  • wind resistance
  • Etc.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I’m four months in and haven’t even seen 100 yet.. am I the only one?
Sponsored