Sponsored

Speed Limiting Through OTA Updates? What's Next?

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Well unless you are on a closed course I don't know that 130MPH is a great plan. Just like the woman who was killed in Vegas by the NFL star going 130 in his vette and rear ending her, everyone else doesn't consent to do you doing that. The right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose and if we are talking about speaking for yourself I would rather not be on the freeway with someone doing that kind of speed especially in a pickup truck.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning reckless behavior. I don't tell other people how to live theirs lives and don't want to be told how to live mine (Gadsden flag waving in the background). I'm a first responder. Several times in my life, while not working, I have found myself in the midst of an emergency and had to drive as fast as my vehicle could go (within a margin of safety) because seconds counted. The R1T actually handles amazingly well at high speed. If there's a mechanical limiting factor, I would say oh well, but this feels more like nannying. 120 would be better. As stated above, all
the tires are rated for 130. I agree that most people don't understand what cars can and can't do, especially at high speed, and that can be super dangerous. Most drivers haven't ever driven over 85mph. For me, that doesn't mean they should be prevented from doing it if they want to. Also, our perception is off. 110 on the Autobaun is slow.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning reckless behavior. I don't tell other people how to live theirs lives and don't want to be told how to live mine (Gadsden flag waving in the background). I'm a first responder. Several times in my life, while not working, I have found myself in the midst of an emergency and had to drive as fast as my vehicle could go (within a margin of safety) because seconds counted. The R1T actually handles amazingly well at high speed. If there's a mechanical limiting factor, I would say oh well, but this feels more like nannying. 120 would be better. As stated above, all
the tires are rated for 130. I agree that most people don't understand what cars can and can't do, especially at high speed, and that can be super dangerous. Most drivers haven't ever driven over 85mph. For me, that doesn't mean they should be prevented from doing it if they want to. Also, our perception is off. 110 on the Autobaun is slow.
Other drivers on the Autobahn expect high speed traffic because it is legal there. Driving 100+ on US roads where other drivers are expecting traffic at closer to the much lower posted speed limits is reckless, plain and simple. The unexpected happens a lot faster at double the speed limit and that's where the lives of others besides yourself are put at risk. And since my life could one day be in the path of your reckless speeding, I will freely speak against you. There are zero good reasons for speeds north of 100 mph on US roads. Even an attempt to save one life is not worth the risk to others.

Also, this being a free country does NOT mean that you are free to ignore the laws when they don't suit you.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
. 110 on the Autobaun is slow.
ignoring the libertarian nonsense, obtaining a driving license in Germany is a lengthy, expensive process with lots of mandatory training.

in north america it is hilariously easy to get and keep one, to the point that people consider it a right rather than the privilege it is.

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Other drivers on the Autobahn expect high speed traffic because it is legal there. Driving 100+ on US roads where other drivers are expecting traffic at closer to the much lower posted speed limits is reckless, plain and simple. The unexpected happens a lot faster at double the speed limit and that's where the lives of others besides yourself are put at risk. And since my life could one day be in the path of your reckless speeding, I will freely speak against you. There are zero good reasons for speeds north of 100 mph on US roads. Even an attempt to save one life is not worth the risk to others.
With all due respect, Kyle, I never said anything about driving 100+ in traffic. I merely said the ability to drive fast can be valuable. What if someone was chasing you and trying to run you off the road or shoot you? Wouldn't you want to be able to create ad much distance as possible if the roads weren't filled with drivers who may be startled by a passing car exceeding the speed limit? Oh my! As I said, I don't condone reckless driving. Bottom line here is that you want to control what other people do and I believe they have the right to choose for themselves. So, I'll say it one more time... You don't speak for me as I would never speak for you. It's not my place. I will read whatever you have to say, but I'm done engaging on this. It's not worth the time. I'm honestly sorry I even bothered to share my opinion because I really don't give af.

And by the way, if you were the one with half your body burned, screaming in pain, going into shock... I think you would want me to drives as fast as I possibly could without crashing, to save your life.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

its not the particular speed limiting that concerns me but what else they might start locking. lets say in a future update they lock out rally mode and you have to start paying to use it. its not out of the realm of possibility since from the first earnings call Rivian has talked about how they can earn revenue post vehicle sales with membership and other features that can be made available on the vehicles.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I just noticed today that my R1T now has a maximum speed of 111 mph. Prior to the latest software update, it had a maximum speed of 116 mph, regardless of charge level or drive mode.

On background, I was fortunate enough to be one of the very few people invited to Normal, Illinois for the "Let's Just Drive" event last July 2021 (the video is on the Rivian site, I'm the old balding guy) hosted by RJ and his wife Megan. I met with not only RJ, (who was behind the wheel of the R1T with my daughter and myself in our first Rivian adventure as passengers ) but the heads of all of the engineering departments. We also did a plant tour that was very informative. I think I may have been invited because I am a "Day One Pre-order " guy (11/26/2018).

At that event the two R1T's I drove consistently hit 130 mph. I can somewhat understand 116. But to cut top speed to 111 is making me wonder. What's next? An Orwellian speed limiter that allows us to exceed a perceived speed limit by a certain percentage?

Who's driving this thing anyway?

Have to wonder if the upper ball joint coming undone at 111 mph would hurt you more than it dis-jointing at 116?

After scheduling my appointment for the ball joint inspection, I queried my service advisor about the speed reduction. Caught off guard, he put me on a long hold. He came back with a spin that would make Karine Jean-Pierre proud. Total mis-mash , verbal nothingness. Word-salad. BUT he admitted it! Rivian WILL control how you drive.

Gotta fight this people. I'm glad I still drive my 2018 Raptor. It's slow, but it's really fun!
You should actually read the text that goes along with the software updates before you go on some silly rant that isn't accurate. The speedo was recalibrated. The truck has the exact same speed limiter.

We have an epidemic of people creating conspiracy theories because they are too lazy to read or learn. We are doomed.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
its not the particular speed limiting that concerns me but what else they might start locking. lets say in a future update they lock out rally mode and you have to start paying to use it. its not out of the realm of possibility since from the first earnings call Rivian has talked about how they can earn revenue post vehicle sales with membership and other features that can be made available on the vehicles.
They didn't change the speed of the truck.. Read the software updates. The speedo was recalibrated to be more accurate.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

They didn't change the speed of the truck.. Read the software updates. The speedo was recalibrated to be more accurate.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I think most OEM cars/trucks are speed limited unless you get a Red-Key.

Usually trucks are about 100 mph +/-

Sponsored

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

I just noticed today that my R1T now has a maximum speed of 111 mph. Prior to the latest software update, it had a maximum speed of 116 mph, regardless of charge level or drive mode.

On background, I was fortunate enough to be one of the very few people invited to Normal, Illinois for the "Let's Just Drive" event last July 2021 (the video is on the Rivian site, I'm the old balding guy) hosted by RJ and his wife Megan. I met with not only RJ, (who was behind the wheel of the R1T with my daughter and myself in our first Rivian adventure as passengers ) but the heads of all of the engineering departments. We also did a plant tour that was very informative. I think I may have been invited because I am a "Day One Pre-order " guy (11/26/2018).

At that event the two R1T's I drove consistently hit 130 mph. I can somewhat understand 116. But to cut top speed to 111 is making me wonder. What's next? An Orwellian speed limiter that allows us to exceed a perceived speed limit by a certain percentage?

Who's driving this thing anyway?

Have to wonder if the upper ball joint coming undone at 111 mph would hurt you more than it dis-jointing at 116?

After scheduling my appointment for the ball joint inspection, I queried my service advisor about the speed reduction. Caught off guard, he put me on a long hold. He came back with a spin that would make Karine Jean-Pierre proud. Total mis-mash , verbal nothingness. Word-salad. BUT he admitted it! Rivian WILL control how you drive.

Gotta fight this people. I'm glad I still drive my 2018 Raptor. It's slow, but it's really fun!
Curious in what drive mode you were in….I have noticed in conserve it’s limited to 112 vs 115/116 in others

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think most OEM cars/trucks are speed limited unless you get a Red-Key.
bit of a tangent, but the “red key” with Volvo is actually the speed-limited one you can give to teenagers or valets, lol. I wonder if someone at Volvo has a sense of humor?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Also, our perception is off. 110 on the Autobaun is slow.
There's a hidden gem in what you said. Yes, our perception is off, but not in the way you are suggesting. You comparing our highways and driving to the Autobahn is a misperception in and of itself.

First off, about half of the Autobahn highway system IS speed limited to 130 kmh/80 mph or less in urban/suburban areas. The Autobahn is in infinitely better condition than US Interstates. The lanes are a couple of feet wider than US highways. As @crashmtb said, driving is seen as a serious and expensive priviledge in Germany, not a right. They obey the rules and they respect the penalties for breaking the rules. They never pass on the right, and never hog the left lane. You don't see drivers not using their turn signals, they give plenty of advance warning especially when moving to the left lane to pass. High speed drivers leave their left turn signal ON in the left lane so that you can see from a long distance that they are flying up in your left lane. All of this makes it much safer in Germany compare to the US.

A Porsche or BMW S1000RR bike closes in incredibly fast when they are doing 190 mph and you are doing 100 mph.

The other misperception is the "overtake" perception. Americans have a learned, subconcious perception of how quickly they will overtake a vehicle, or a vehicle overtakes you, based on 60-75 mph driving experience. When you are doing 130 mph, It's HALF that time, but if you are not familiar with it, it seems even faster - but your reaction time and steering and braking inputs are still "working" at your 60 mph experience. It's potentially dangerous for both parties.

I speak from experience. I've driven on the Bavarian sections of the Autobahn numerous times for hours at 125 - 130 mph. Doable but not awesome in a rental Volkswagon Passat. Awesome in my European delivery BMW 3 Series.

Based on my comments above, I have no problem with a 110 - 125 mph speed limiter on vehicles in the US. Reality is most drivers can't handle 100 mph let alone 130, and the ones that are stupid enough to do 130 on US roads definitely should not have the ability to do it, including first responders. Just allow enough to max out in a quarter mile on a legal drag strip.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just allow enough to max out in a quarter mile on a legal drag strip.
If Rivian didn't derate the motors above ~90 mph, I'm confident my truck would be able to hit at least 120 in the quarter mile. The description of the power curve from people that went to the event in 2021 was that it was a constant pull until 130 mph. Even with the drop in power, I still hit the limiter somewhere around 1000 ft

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Well the good thing here is for those conspiracists that think they are being "controlled" by Rivian for having a limiter of 111MPH, is that you also have freedom of choice to purchase any other electric pickup you want. Oh wait.. the F150 EV is also 111MPH. Collusion between Rivian and Ford!?
Sponsored