Sponsored

Speed Limiting Through OTA Updates? What's Next?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Sorry if someone else said this but maybe it was an adjustment from the speedo. I thought a few testers commented that the speedo was a little faster than reality (about 2 mph). Just a thought.
yes it was just a speedo adjustment but people don't read their software updates because apparently it's just easier to start an angry rant on a forum than understand how your truck works.
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

It's the same actual speed. The display is just more accurate and doesn't intentionally over report the speed by as much. On the drag strip my truck would trap 110 mph sitting at 115 mph on the screen.

I'm still interested in borrowing a 20 AT wheel/tire set since they have a slightly larger overall diameter and seeing what my 22" tire programmed truck would run in the 1/4 mile, since they seem to have the truck limited to the same actual speed regardless of tire size.
I know this is an old post but happy to swap out my 20"s to test this in the spring, I'd be curious to know the results and plan on doing a couple drag runs too.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I just noticed today that my R1T now has a maximum speed of 111 mph. Prior to the latest software update, it had a maximum speed of 116 mph, regardless of charge level or drive mode.

On background, I was fortunate enough to be one of the very few people invited to Normal, Illinois for the "Let's Just Drive" event last July 2021 (the video is on the Rivian site, I'm the old balding guy) hosted by RJ and his wife Megan. I met with not only RJ, (who was behind the wheel of the R1T with my daughter and myself in our first Rivian adventure as passengers ) but the heads of all of the engineering departments. We also did a plant tour that was very informative. I think I may have been invited because I am a "Day One Pre-order " guy (11/26/2018).

At that event the two R1T's I drove consistently hit 130 mph. I can somewhat understand 116. But to cut top speed to 111 is making me wonder. What's next? An Orwellian speed limiter that allows us to exceed a perceived speed limit by a certain percentage?

Who's driving this thing anyway?

Have to wonder if the upper ball joint coming undone at 111 mph would hurt you more than it dis-jointing at 116?

After scheduling my appointment for the ball joint inspection, I queried my service advisor about the speed reduction. Caught off guard, he put me on a long hold. He came back with a spin that would make Karine Jean-Pierre proud. Total mis-mash , verbal nothingness. Word-salad. BUT he admitted it! Rivian WILL control how you drive.

Gotta fight this people. I'm glad I still drive my 2018 Raptor. It's slow, but it's really fun!
not sure shy its being done but they lowered it sounds like 3 times now. an explanation would be nice why. seems a bit random and arbitrary to limit it from 125/130 to 116 to 110. im sure its probably not arbitrary but again an explanation would be nice.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I know this is an old post but happy to swap out my 20"s to test this in the spring, I'd be curious to know the results and plan on doing a couple drag runs too.
What track is closest to you? Lapeer for me.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Speak for yourself, please, not for me. If there's an emergency and the roads allow it to be done in reasonable safety, the truck should be able to go as fast as the tires allow. At least 130mph. I can't stand electronic nannys. It's a free country and that means everyone has the right to take whatever risk they want to as long as they A. don't hurt anybody else, and B. are willing to suffer the consequences.

Edit: I should have said 130mph would be my preferred limit, not "at least" Thank you for correcting me.
Don’t buy a Rivian then - it’s a free country after all.
Sponsored