Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted: Apple Watch As Key for Gen 2 Rivian!  (I hope it works on G1, too!) IMG_0293

At 1:14 of the video that Rivian put out, they said that Gen2 can unlock with Apple Watch. I am crossing all my fingers and toes that this will work for Gen1, as well!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

This won’t work with Gen1. On the website is says the Apple wallet/ watch stuff are due to them using ultra wide band in Gen2. That is different hardware than what we have in Gen1, which uses NFC.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
I think i've seen or read somewhere that this would be Gen2 only due to hardware differences.
Yeah it’s likely to be G2 only because they specifically mention UltraWideband support for Apple Car Key support (iPhone/Apple Watch) via Apple Wallet. It’d be amazing if G1 have HW support UWB. What they could do instead is since they are supporting Apple CarKey is support tap with iPhone and Apple Watch on G1 as an alternative to the key card.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

This won’t work with Gen1. On the website is says the Apple wallet/ watch stuff are due to them using ultra wide band in Gen2. That is different hardware than what we have in Gen1, which uses NFC.
Boooooooooooo.

I was just dusting off my AW Ultra out of excitement. Guess I’ll put it back in the drawer.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
For two years, they said it's coming. Just didn't say it's not coming for existing R1s. 😤 I am now rethinking the keyband, i.e. finding one second-hand. They really should add keyband to the Gear Shop, like they said they would once upon a time, if they're not going to give us AWAK.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
An Apple Watch app was on the roadmap for well over a year. I'd be pissed if it never comes out.

I love the new trucks, but the feeling of immediate abandonment is really palpable. It's like they've known about the limitations for months or potentially years and never really made an effort to cleanup the promises.

This stuff leads to lawsuits, and they would likely be justified. Just think if you were someone who purchased a 2024 as recently as last month based on a promise on the Rivian website...

Sponsored

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
Well for all us G1 peeps that won’t get the Apple Watch as a key Rivian could offer to sell us wrist bands. Since you have ti be a launch edition owner blah blah blah all the G1 just became launch editions sort of.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Cut the chip out of a key card and have it embedded in your wrist

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m kind of surprised at people’s responses in here. There are a lot of posts on this forum warning people not to bank on potential future features, if they come great but things can change for various reasons where they may not be feasible.

I purchased my R1S based on what it did when I picked it up. I knew that there were potential possibilities of new features being added and have been happy with many of the features added since I took delivery. There are probably going to be more in the future but I’m not going to worry about things that never come to fruition.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I’m kind of surprised at people’s responses in here. There are a lot of posts on this forum warning people not to bank on potential future features, if they come great but things can change for various reasons where they may not be feasible.

I purchased my R1S based on what it did when I picked it up. I knew that there were potential possibilities of new features being added and have been happy with many of the features added since I took delivery. There are probably going to be more in the future but I’m not going to worry about things that never come to fruition.
There is value in features that were promised and not everyone is forgiving in situations like this.

This reminds me quite a bit of a something a company named Palm did a dozen or so years ago. They made a Treo smartphone and announced and marketed that it would support Wi-Fi SD cards in addition to the anemic cellular connectivity at the time. It was a bit of a big deal.

Turns out they knew when they were publicly stating it - putting it on their boxes - that it would never be able to do that. There wasn't enough power to port to run those cards. There were email discussions about it, and I believe some in the company were advocating that they make a statement. They never did.

They were sued and they paid up. 10 minutes of time for someone to edit the website or to post something in the discussion forum they were already on is all that it would have taken. This feels very similar.

If an officer of the company makes a statement that something is in development, you deliver it correct your statement.

If you put on your website (as recently as yesterday) that you will deliver automatic lane changes and Driver+ towing enhancements, you deliver them.

Not doing so decreases the value of the item that you purchased, if you indeed believed in good faith that those features would be delivered. It's clear that many here did.
Sponsored