Sponsored

Standard+ owners lets pressure Rivian into unlocking the pack :-)

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Free?? no. Paid? sure.
I wouldn't pay, I don't think there's much money on the table to do this.

Maybe in 7+ years when the battery is degrading a little.
Sponsored

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm of 2 minds about this.

On one hand, Rivian sold identical materials for less money, which means that there's no loss to Rivian if they enable it. Right-to-repair and all that suggests that the customer has a right to enable the extra capacity if they have the ability (which they don't, at least yet).

On the other hand, unlocking the capacity is a display of ill-will towards the large pack owners, who would be materially worse-off since they've already spent more money to have the same vehicle.

Regardless of anything else, I think that Standard+ customers should have their large packs unlocked, but that mainly manifests in a feeling that Standard+ shouldn't have been offered to begin with. Shop credit for Dual-Large purchasers would sure be nice though, lol.

NitroNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Crosstrek
Occupation
EE
Old standard and standard+ is software locked larger. Now the new standard is LFP, the new large is a software locked max
Yes, I am aware of all those things. I'm not sure what this comment was for?

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'm of 2 minds about this.

On one hand, Rivian sold identical materials for less money, which means that there's no loss to Rivian if they enable it. Right-to-repair and all that suggests that the customer has a right to enable the extra capacity if they have the ability (which they don't, at least yet).

On the other hand, unlocking the capacity is a display of ill-will towards the large pack owners, who would be materially worse-off since they've already spent more money to have the same vehicle.

Regardless of anything else, I think that Standard+ customers should have their large packs unlocked, but that mainly manifests in a feeling that Standard+ shouldn't have been offered to begin with. Shop credit for Dual-Large purchasers would sure be nice though, lol.
The old large pack, has more usable capacity and more range than the new software locked max "new" large pack. The standard+ is closer to the new large in usable capacity.

So from that standpoint I don't feel like people who bought the large pack, when they have the option to get a standard+ really miss out on a small segment of owners getting their batteries unlocked.

First Name
MICHAEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Bolt, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Government Sales
I have standard + in my Dual motor R1T.

As soon as I realized I have a software locked max pack, I started charging to 95% regularly. That’s a 296 mile charge.

Might as well.

The battery is already running at only 85% of its potential through software controls.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have standard + in my Dual motor R1T.

As soon as I realized I have a software locked max pack, I started charging to 95% regularly. That’s a 296 mile charge.

Might as well.

The battery is already running at only 85% of its potential through software controls.
You software locked large, not max. And yes, since the standard+ locks out another 10% charging to 80-100% shouldn't be an issue. I don't need the range typically so I keep mine at 80%
Sponsored