Steering Wheel Shake at Highway Speeds

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Just got mine back from SC and they said it is normal for the R1T to have slight wobble if you let go of the steering wheel. They did no repair to mine.
Wow, I sure hope not. Mine is pretty pronounced at ~70-75 mph and above.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just got mine back from SC and they said it is normal for the R1T to have slight wobble if you let go of the steering wheel. They did no repair to mine.
I hope you're not okay with that completely unacceptable response regarding an $80K vehicle.

If that's normal... let them add it in writing to the owners manual! No vehicle should have wobble at any speed, period.

Last edited:

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I get this also and currently have a service ticket in for it. Regardless of the reason, it came this way, so I expect them to resolve it. It's not terrible or dangerous but is annoying.
I have some slight misalignment and shaking as well... and I'm in Ft Worth. Did it take them long to get back to you for service? I haven't heard anything in over a week...

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
I have some slight misalignment and shaking as well... and I'm in Ft Worth. Did it take them long to get back to you for service? I haven't heard anything in over a week...
I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Their response time has not been amazing... but feel free to call their 24/7 service hotline and they can give you updates and you can even ask them to prioritize it if necessary.

After service, my issue was significantly reduced, and they attributed it to tire/wheel balancing. I've experienced this before with the Scorpion tires, so I personally feel it's in some way related to that, but it's marginal now and not near as annoying as previous.

Sponsored

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Their response time has not been amazing... but feel free to call their 24/7 service hotline and they can give you updates and you can even ask them to prioritize it if necessary.

After service, my issue was significantly reduced, and they attributed it to tire/wheel balancing. I've experienced this before with the Scorpion tires, so I personally feel it's in some way related to that, but it's marginal now and not near as annoying as previous.
Will do. Did they come to you or did you have to take it somewhere?

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I get a tiny bit of it up past 80-85. Feels like minor wheel imbalance to me. Can just barely feel it hands on and can definitely see it hands off. Would love for it not to be there at all but not terrible. Going in for service for key fob and PaaK start issues and will raise it with them.

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
Will do. Did they come to you or did you have to take it somewhere?
They picked up the truck and took it for a few days and knocked out a few different items (definitely not all the items I had), and then delivered it back to me.

trickledown

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Mercedes SL550, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
retired
Anyone else experiencing fairly significant wheel shake when driving at highway speeds when letting go of the wheel? I also have a slight rightward drift alignment issues (not nearly as bad as others reported), which may be related.
Significant shake at 75mph and higher. Truck pulls to the right. Steering wheel points left. Ticket submitted. Crickets.....

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Anyone else experiencing fairly significant wheel shake when driving at highway speeds when letting go of the wheel? I also have a slight rightward drift alignment issues (not nearly as bad as others reported), which may be related.
Yes, I’ve always noticed a wheel vibration at speed since delivery. Only does it going straight with no steering pressure on wheel…thinking balance issue since i had a screw repair in front right tire at 500 miles..would think that Hibdon Tires would of done a decent balance on a tire repair…not saying its the culprit, but if not, then Rivian isn’t balancing wheels very well from factory or delivery center!

Sponsored

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

That’s an interesting point that we as a owners group will have to figure out…is it the factory spec tires that balance poorly or go out of balance quickly under wear? Has anyone put a new DIFFERENT tire on? If so, is the issue still there?

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
That’s an interesting point that we as a owners group will have to figure out…is it the factory spec tires that balance poorly or go out of balance quickly under wear? Has anyone put a new DIFFERENT tire on? If so, is the issue still there?
I'll be curious to hear as the first set wears and people start replacing with others, both in terms of this and efficiency.

For my Ram 1500, I had the Scorpions (same version but not RIV spec) and had similar balance issues. Then I put some Grapplers on (same size and width), and didn't have any of those issues. They were also louder, but efficiency was pretty much equal (~.5 mpg less efficient).

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

If it is indeed a balancing issue of the wheels, I had a bunk set of brand new BFG AT's and had them balanced far too many times over the 3 years I owned them, each time felt better, and the tire place (went to several different ones over the course of their ownership) would give me a "I don't know who balanced your tires, but they were way out! We fixed em for you though" It wasn't until I was at a Nissan dealership where they have a "road force" balancing machine that simulated actual driving under vehicle weight load (roller against the wheel while it spins) that they discovered 3 of the 4 tires were completely un-balanceable and likely a factory defect. New tires (not through Nissan as they didn't have the Falken tires I wanted) and years of BS melted away.

During the course of the wheel balancing issue, having been told my wheels were "perfectly balanced" I went further down the mechanical line, alignments, sway bar links, even replacing my wheel hub assemblies trying to fix it. I think that was the most infuriating part of the whole experience.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Yes, I’ve always noticed a wheel vibration at speed since delivery. Only does it going straight with no steering pressure on wheel…thinking balance issue since i had a screw repair in front right tire at 500 miles..would think that Hibdon Tires would of done a decent balance on a tire repair…not saying its the culprit, but if not, then Rivian isn’t balancing wheels very well from factory or delivery center!
For a tire repair, most of the time they mark the location of the valve stem & just put the tire back on in the same orientation that it came off. This assumes the tire was balanced properly when you took it in. Standard practice for repairs is not to rebalance the tire.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Nothing close to that bad, at least in my case.

Apologies for the graphic hairy legs...

In addition to the shaking (mine is worse) you have the other issue I have -- a steering wheel that's not centered. Mine is slightly to the left when going straight as yours appears to be.
Sponsored