Sponsored

Struggling with the '21s and my personal choice, help!

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
So I'm actually a big fan of the 21s, aero blockers and all. My biggest issue is I'm a big summer and winter tire kind of guy. I mostly hit sand and dirt roads as my off-road so the all-terrain tires are overkill.

It would seem like the ideal setup to stay compatible to the spare would be get a set of 20s but on tire rack I'm only seeing the OE AT Pirellis and the General Grabber Arctic LT. The Generals I'd be super happy with but there's not really a summer performance tire here.

I'd actually be down with summer tires on the 22s and winter tires on the 21s but that doesn't seem like an option either.

Is there any good way to keep the 21"s and have a winter and summer setup while maintaining the same overall wheel diameter to match the spare? Do we know what's planned? If General or someone is going to have '21 winters at some point I'd probably reach for that even with the odd size of the wheel. If I blow two tires on vacation, whatever man, can't account for everything.

I feel like any of the 20" rims should be my huckleberry but still only left with 2 choices, neither of them great summer performance. I also see a 20% range hit as rather extreme on a BEV if you're really not going to be using the A/T all too often.

Am I wrong? Is the tire situation bad here or what?
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How about 22 inch winters?
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-9-suv/p/41307

Very well regarded winter tire, and it is the same overall diameter as the the 21" or the 22" OEM tires. So you could go with either 21's or the 22's for OEM/summer tires and and not loose compatibility with the spare.

Or stick with 20's year round. I see 65 different options in the 20' size. Click continue without vehicle as it is possible they are limiting your choices excessively when you click Rivian.

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/275-65-20?q=:bestSeller-asc:loadRange:E1&sort=bestSeller-asc&page=0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmm, not liking the idea of running 22"s all the time now that you point out there's winters for them. Just seems like very little rubber to be running an "adventure" truck on.

I could always just get the 21"s and get a new full size spares when I decide what winters I want. All 20".

I get the feeling we're going to see bigger wheel arches on the R1T in the years to come if they really want to stick with these tank-sized brake calipers and rotors.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Hmm, not liking the idea of running 22"s all the time now that you point out there's winters for them. Just seems like very little rubber to be running an "adventure" truck on.

I could always just get the 21"s and get a new full size spares when I decide what winters I want. All 20".

I get the feeling we're going to see bigger wheel arches on the R1T in the years to come if they really want to stick with these tank-sized brake calipers and rotors.

Maybe this will change your mind on the 22's?

From the reviews on tirerack the 22's perform well on their own in snow. Many tirerack users are reporting using them as snow tires (maybe not crazy snow, but from time to time).

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm worried about damaging the 22s on rocks and curbs is what I'm thinking since I posted this. It's like a foregone conclusion with me I think. So I guess it's the 20s vs. the 21s.

I guess my gut is to just go with the stock 21s and supplement an aftermarket set of winters. I really wish I could find a steel wheel, would totally rock a painted white steelie like a LR.

Rivian R1T R1S Struggling with the '21s and my personal choice, help! 1653509643489

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I'm worried about damaging the 22s on rocks and curbs is what I'm thinking since I posted this. It's like a foregone conclusion with me I think. So I guess it's the 20s vs. the 21s.

I guess my gut is to just go with the stock 21s and supplement an aftermarket set of winters. I really wish I could find a steel wheel, would totally rock a painted white steelie like a LR.

1653509643489.png
I believe either the
A) brakes are too large to fit steel wheels. Steel wheels generally do not mix well with large brakes
or
B) the weight of the vehicle is too heavy for steel wheels.
Maybe a combination of both... I believe the hard part for Rivian owners will be finding wheels that will clear the brakes and support the weight of the vehicle...

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I'm struggling with the same question. Holding out for Max Pack so I have some time to decide.

I see two options that make sense for me:

1. Take the 21's at no additional charge. Plan to purchase aftermarket 20's for snow / off road. Forged 20's, though, won't be cheap on the aftermarket, and neither are the tires. Probably looking at spending at least $5000 to $7000 (including spare).

2. Take the 20's at $1800 plus $800 for the spare. These are forged wheels, so not a bad deal. Plan to purchase 20" or 22" wheels and performance all seasons for street use. Using cast wheels and Pirelli tires maybe looking at $4500 or so.

Not a huge price difference between the two options. Comes down to whether you want performance all seasons (22" OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Elect RIV) or high mileage all seasons (21" Pirelli Verde All Season Elect RIV) and how much you like the appearance of the different Rivian wheels.

I lean to the performance all seasons (I know, less range and less tire life) and like the appearance of the Rivian 20" wheels, so I'm leaning to Option 2.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I really like my 22's. Mileage doesn't take a hit like the 20's and if I need to replace, there are lots of 22" options out there...not so with 21". Just look at what is out there in 21". Just about nothing but the OEM Rivian tire.
Sponsored