Sponsored

Switch from T to S after config. confirmation?

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
Long story short; I have an R1T configured which had a delivery estimate of Jan/Feb 2023 (reservation put in Sept 2021). Last week I got the email to confirm our configuration and was assigned a guide. However, I'd much prefer an R1S and was essentially just reserving a T to get a Rivian sooner rather than later.

My guide suggested I just change my configuration over to an R1S and that this likely wouldn't significantly delay our delivery date... At least, he said it wouldn't put us at the back of the overall line as is my fear. He says, and I've read, that now that we are at this stage, Rivian is working to assign us a vehicle, either one that's already been built or one that will be built shortly. But he is also saying that it doesnt matter if we change configurations, they'll still keep us in the soonest possible build queue according to our desired configuration even if we switch to an S entirely.

I've read as much as I could on these forums and can't see where anyone has explicitly been in my shoes.. Does this make sense? Can I actually expect to switch configurations entirely and get an S soon (relatively speaking)?
Sponsored

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
Thousands of people reserved an R1S before you. Why do you think you should you get a free pass to the head of the line?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i doubt you'll get your S in the same timeframe as you would have gotten your T. it is most likely delayed. if we go by what they've said, your delivery window should update in Jan. id be shocked if its still Jan/Feb 2023. then again... it wouldn't be the first time Rivian does something shocking with deliveries.

keep us posted.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I originally reserved and T. In April, I was assigned a Guide. He said my truck should be in my driveway in May. I told him I decided to switch to an S. I am still driving a Mini Cooper EV with my S expected April-June of 23.

I have a July 2020, Launch Edition.

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Aug 2019 LE pre-order here with most recent delivery window update of April-June 2023. With a Sept 2021 R1T pre-order, you definitely shouldn't expect a converted R1S delivery in the same Jan/Feb 2023 window. R1T production ramp is much further along than R1S. Expect R1S delivery no earlier than late 2023.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Thousands of people reserved an R1S before you. Why do you think you should you get a free pass to the head of the line?
^^^ EXACTLY ^^^

OP
OP

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
Well what I think and what is real are two different things. I totally agree it would be very unfair. But, if you were given a free pass to the front of the line, would you deny it out of principal? And, we've all seen that Rivian deliveries often make no sense. I know of a guy local to me who reserved and got an R1T within a few month's span because he knows people at Rivian.

i doubt you'll get your S in the same timeframe as you would have gotten your T. it is most likely delayed. if we go by what they've said, your delivery window should update in Jan. id be shocked if its still Jan/Feb 2023. then again... it wouldn't be the first time Rivian does something shocking with deliveries.

keep us posted.
Yeah, that's what I asked my guide.. Interestingly, the day I confirmed my configuration (for a T), the delivery estimate went from Jan/Feb to "processing". My guide didn't seem to know why or if that actually meant anything.

I originally reserved and T. In April, I was assigned a Guide. He said my truck should be in my driveway in May. I told him I decided to switch to an S. I am still driving a Mini Cooper EV with my S expected April-June of 23.

I have a July 2020, Launch Edition.
And yes, this is my fear and general expectation. I agree, it probably sounds to good to be true that my guide says I can simply switch out my current slot for an SUV that almost no one has yet.

• Sad
Reactions: Guy

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Changing to a R1S won't put you at the back of the line, but you should expect to be slotted in approximately where an original R1S reservation from September 2021 would be. That would likely mean the second half of 2023.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Yeah, that's what I asked my guide.. Interestingly, the day I confirmed my configuration (for a T), the delivery estimate went from Jan/Feb to "processing". My guide didn't seem to know why or if that actually meant anything.
from my understanding, thats normal. once you make a change to your config it goes from a delivery window to "processing". not sure if youre gonna have to wait till Jan to see the update, as they said these windows are supposed to refresh every quarter. here's hoping its sooner.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
Well, I spoke to my guide again and confirmed a switch from a R1T to the R1S. He assured me that it would only possibly delay my delivery a month or so beyond the expected Jan/Feb delivery of the R1T.

I'll update when I get a VIN and hopefully this decision isn't a terrible one.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Well, I spoke to my guide again and confirmed a switch from a R1T to the R1S. He assured me that it would only possibly delay my delivery a month or so beyond the expected Jan/Feb delivery of the R1T.

I'll update when I get a VIN and hopefully this decision isn't a terrible one.
That information is very surprising to hear. What is your config? I'm a fellow 9/21 preorder (R1S) and my delivery window was updated to July-Sep 2023 with the latest news. I would expect you to fall closer in line with that, and if you have a certain config, like LA Silver, it could be more like 2024.

OP
OP

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
That information is very surprising to hear. What is your config? I'm a fellow 9/21 preorder (R1S) and my delivery window was updated to July-Sep 2023 with the latest news. I would expect you to fall closer in line with that, and if you have a certain config, like LA Silver, it could be more like 2024.
The config that got me guide contact was a R1T, Limestone, BM, 22" dark wheels

I just updated it to: R1S, Forest Green, BM, 22" dark wheels.. Told him I'd be happy with either FG or ECG

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The config that got me guide contact was a R1T, Limestone, BM, 22" dark wheels

I just updated it to: R1S, Forest Green, BM, 22" dark wheels.. Told him I'd be happy with either FG or ECG
This is aimed at Rivian not you but WTH? you have a guide?