Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The results are surprising. I wonder if @anthonysfl 's superior results can be explained by the fact that his R1S still thinks he is on 22" wheels. Rivian might vary the suspension height depending on the wheel size. It could be that with 22" the Rivian is at a lower height on the highway, which is more aerodynamically efficient. Definitely it would be compared to 20" wheels; not sure about 21".
if you really think about it, the diamter of his newly 20" is 0.2" larger than his 22". Even if his R1S computer use the 22" wheels suspension height, it would not be that much of a different right?
The only big change to his set up is the sidewall of the 20" is now much bigger than his 22" sidewall. However, I don't think that has anything to do with the aerodynamic.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Man, you guys either like splitting hairs, or I'm more ADHD than a squirrel on crack.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
if you really think about it, the diamter of his newly 20" is 0.2" larger than his 22". Even if his R1S computer use the 22" wheels suspension height, it would not be that much of a different right?
The only big change to his set up is the sidewall of the 20" is now much bigger than his 22" sidewall. However, I don't think that has anything to do with the aerodynamic.
EDIT:
OEM 22: 32.8 / 2 + 3 = 21.4”, suspension height 19.4” above center, ride height = 35.8"
OEM 21: 32.9 / 2+ 3 = 19.45”, ride height = 35.9
Custom 20: 33 / 2 + 19.4” = 35.9

So, his custom 20s result in a ride height that is 0.1" higher than the OEM 22" and equal to the OEM 21". But Rivian could have set the 22" ride height intentionally lower to offest the loss of efficiency from this wheel/tire set, or for some other reason.

Last edited:

anthonysfl

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The results are surprising. I wonder if @anthonysfl 's superior results can be explained by the fact that his R1S still thinks he is on 22" wheels. Rivian might vary the suspension height depending on the wheel size. It could be that with 22" the Rivian is at a lower height on the highway, which is more aerodynamically efficient. Definitely it would be compared to 20" wheels; not sure about 21".

I believe out of all the Rivian tire options, the 22" wheels have the smallest overall diameter (though just barely) over the 21"s, and are thus the shortest in height. Therefore, Rivian can make the ride height the lowest when it thinks it is running with this wheel.
It doesn’t matter if it thinks it’s on the 22’s. My 275/60/20 tires are .3% larger than the 21 own tires. Even if you reduce my efficiency numbers by .3% I am still way ahead.
The R1T is slightly more efficient than the S. My R1T had no exterior mods, large pack and 21’s. 5800 miles later and lifetime efficiency was 2.31.
My S, which has little mud flaps and running boards, further reducing aerodynamic efficiency slightly on top of the S being less aerodynamic than the T, is coming out 5-15% ahead of my T with 2.49 lifetime mi/kwh 5800 miles later. Reduce my lifetime number by .3% to correct the tire size issue and it’s 2.4825.

Rivian R1T R1S Switched from Launch Edition Quad to Dual Motor Max Pack Performance -- my impressions / review IMG_2919

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It doesn’t matter if it thinks it’s on the 22’s. My 275/60/20 tires are .3% larger than the 21 own tires. Even if you reduce my efficiency numbers by .3% I am still way ahead.
The R1T is slightly more efficient than the S. My R1T had no exterior mods, large pack and 21’s. 5800 miles later and lifetime efficiency was 2.31.
My S, which has little mud flaps and running boards, further reducing aerodynamic efficiency slightly on top of the S being less aerodynamic than the T, is coming out 5-15% ahead of my T with 2.49 lifetime mi/kwh 5800 miles later. Reduce my lifetime number by .3% to correct the tire size issue and it’s 2.4825.

IMG_2919.jpeg

^^^. This

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
^^^. This
This holds only if the wheel size doesn’t significantly affect the ride height. It’s the only explanation I can think of that makes sense, aside from the 275/60 tire having insane rolling resistance, or always driving around with the suspension set to “low.”

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I saw somewhere on here someone posting that the weight is actually not that much of an impact in the R1T case, but it's only anecdotal evidence. I think all of these factors influence each other.
I was told it's the following: tire compound (rolling resistance), contact patch (tire width), and tire weight. The slight differences in circumference doesn't seem to matter as much as the above 3 factors.

What is new to me is something about sidewall; 65 vs 60?

But barring the latter, is my original understanding valid?

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Could you elaborate? I'm awaiting delivery and may have a chance to change something here before the vehicle arrives at the service center.
The front license plate mount which service installs is in the field of view of the front camera. That manifests as a small, but unsightly, black bar in surround view. That’s why I’m rolling the dice without a front license plate this time.

ev_fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The front license plate mount which service installs is in the field of view of the front camera. That manifests as a small, but unsightly, black bar in surround view. That’s why I’m rolling the dice without a front license plate this time.
Ah, perhaps I should look into the tow hitch mounted plate option

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ah, perhaps I should look into the tow hitch mounted plate option
Does this bother you?

Rivian R1T R1S Switched from Launch Edition Quad to Dual Motor Max Pack Performance -- my impressions / review 1707359436448

The black on the left side is because the front wheels are not quite straight. The reversal of the parking line is due to some weird interpolation Rivian does to hide the fact that their cameras have a blind spot around the bumper. The black horizontal bar, though, is due to the plate mount.

ev_fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Does this bother you?

1707359436448.png

The black on the left side is because the front wheels are not quite straight. The reversal of the parking line is due to some weird interpolation Rivian does to hide the fact that their cameras have a blind spot around the bumper. The black horizontal bar, though, is due to the plate mount.
For sure. Already reached out to guide to skip the bumper drilling.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
the diffs give you more usable traction 80% of the time, they are easier on tires, and the vehicle drives better. The range improvement is significant,
Under what conditions (20%) is the QM better?
I don't understand the easier on tires part since it is usually in FrontWD. I am getting better tread life out of our QM 20" with plenty of towing, mtn pass driving & hwy conserve than our Sienna under normal conditions.
When you say significant
Sponsored