Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Just discovered this. Oops! How did this pass quality control?

IMG_6794.jpeg
if you didnt notice it until after taking delivery, you can understand how it might have been missed. thats not an easy area to see. but still shouldn't have happened. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
if you didnt notice it until after taking delivery, you can understand how it might have been missed. thats not an easy area to see. but still shouldn't have happened. 🤷‍♂️
I wonder--if someone at the factory or the service center did notice this, would they hold up a delivery to fix it, or would they try to deliver it anyway and wait for the customer to complain? This was a R1 shop vehicle; perhaps many (or most) of the shop vehicles contain defect(s) which caused the original buyer to refuse delivery, and where Rivian would rather roll the dice than fix them. After all, the fix might take weeks (or longer) given how booked up Rivian is fixing their many, many problems. The next sucker customer might not notice it immediately and will sign on the dotted line. Revenue booked! We'll fix it in four months! Caveat emptor.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@NineElectrics - you're saying the motor whine is about the same? Is that all of the time or just when both motors are engaged? Any sense of how it compared to conserve mode on the quad?

One thing I'm personally hoping for with the DM is motor whine that is reduced. I know some like it, but I have an unfortunate affliction where I can hear high pitched noises much more clearly and loudly than most people. It sucks.
It's hard to say. I haven't driven it enough. The cabin may be quieter, too, which is helping to highlight the motor noise. I'll drive it more this weekend.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I wonder--if someone at the factory or the service center did notice this, would they hold up a delivery to fix it, or would they try to deliver it anyway and wait for the customer to complain? This was a R1 shop vehicle; perhaps many (or most) of the shop vehicles contain defect(s) which caused the original buyer to refuse delivery, and where Rivian would rather roll the dice than fix them. After all, the fix might take weeks (or longer) given how booked up Rivian is fixing their many, many problems. The next sucker customer might not notice it immediately and will sign on the dotted line. Revenue booked! We'll fix it in four months! Caveat emptor.
We had the same missing part and I only noticed it when looking back at my 5yo daughter at night. That’s when I noticed a lot of light coming from behind the door handle and got worried she’d eventually get hurt. SC fixed it a couple months later (appointments are still about 3-4 months out in San Jose).

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Tidal's HiFi Plus Max quality streams are supported by Rivian's app. Though it hasn't been updated to use the new terminology from Tidal. It is still called "Master" which used to be MQA, which sounds great. Tidal now calls MQA and high sample rate FLAC "Max" as they transition their library to FLAC.

I have the Meridian system and the difference between Spotify's max quality and Tidal's max quality is pretty stark, with Tidal earning their money in my opinion.
Oooooh, didn't know that! I'll have to start using Tidal more! (Although now that I look, I'd have to pay a lot more per month to get that quality.)

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm currently hovering over a quad purchase in the store with prehike pricing. Would you say the dual is a better value/better iteration?
What has been your real-world efficiency improvements over the quad?
Does conserve mode on the quad account for any extra range worth mentioning?

Basically, if you could do over, would you have been pleased with the dual to begin with?

Edit: oh, and any differences DCFC?
Yes; the DM is the latest iteration, and the better machine (I too went from QM to DM); unless all you care about is drag racing. The motors are a better design, the diffs give you more usable traction 80% of the time, they are easier on tires, and the vehicle drives better. The range improvement is significant, the battery conditioning in the cold is more efficient, the half-shafts have been redesigned for the better, and the clunky eco disconnects have been replaced with a more traditional and reliable clutch.

Cooling is improved on the Enduro, as is the cooling system design. It weighs in a bit lighter, and there is never any of the torque steer issues some of the quads suffer from.

As for DCFC, since the DM is a tad more efficient, you will spend slightly less time charging for a given distance.

Rivian's latest iteration is a big step in the right direction, and made all the difference for my use case.
👍

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Tidal's HiFi Plus Max quality streams are supported by Rivian's app. Though it hasn't been updated to use the new terminology from Tidal. It is still called "Master" which used to be MQA, which sounds great. Tidal now calls MQA and high sample rate FLAC "Max" as they transition their library to FLAC.

I have the Meridian system and the difference between Spotify's max quality and Tidal's max quality is pretty stark, with Tidal earning their money in my opinion.
I agree, back to back listening to the same song(s) between the two apps, especially the ones you know are Master tracks, you hear so much more through Tidal. Spotify sounds like you've got water in your ears (muffled and missing tonality) by comparison.

I suppose I'm fortunate to have an early '23 build with Meridian speakers. While on the subject of speakers, the one thing that really intrigues me about the Cybertruck is the apparently epic sound quality in the cabin. I'd be interested in testing that out!

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I agree, back to back listening to the same song(s) between the two apps, especially the ones you know are Master tracks, you hear so much more through Tidal. Spotify sounds like you've got water in your ears (muffled and missing tonality) by comparison.

I suppose I'm fortunate to have an early '23 build with Meridian speakers. While on the subject of speakers, the one thing that really intrigues me about the Cybertruck is the apparently epic sound quality in the cabin. I'd be interested in testing that out!
So I finally signed up for a Tidal trial based on your comment (and of others) but I really can’t notice much of a difference, if any. I also have the Meridian system in my R1T and confirmed both are streaming at the highest possible quality. Are there any tracks you can suggest where you noticed a big difference between the two services?

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
So I finally signed up for a Tidal trial based on your comment (and of others) but I really can’t notice much of a difference, if any. I also have the Meridian system in my R1T and confirmed both are streaming at the highest possible quality. Are there any tracks you can suggest where you noticed a big difference between the two services?
I am 76 yrs old and wear some pretty good Costco Phillips hearing aids needed after a lifetime of farming and firearms use. My July 2002 build has been relatively problem free now at 40,000. Tidal is very noticeably the best audio I have experienced. The difference to me is like the difference between a full bodied Martin guitar and a thin bodied nylon string model.
Bugs me that the camp speaker won't Bluetooth Tidal from the R1, which is what they told me. I don't know what the barrier would be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@NineElectrics - you're saying the motor whine is about the same? Is that all of the time or just when both motors are engaged? Any sense of how it compared to conserve mode on the quad?

One thing I'm personally hoping for with the DM is motor whine that is reduced. I know some like it, but I have an unfortunate affliction where I can hear high pitched noises much more clearly and loudly than most people. It sucks.
I can still hear a high pitched, but very, very faint, whine from the rear when accelerating. That's distinct from the louder, lower pitched tones, which occur much more often and can be heard from the front as well.

I have pretty sensitive ears, and I have great high frequency detection as I'm relatively young. So, while your ears are probably more sensitive, you might not be bothered by the Enduro.

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Yes; the DM is the latest iteration, and the better machine (I too went from QM to DM); unless all you care about is drag racing. The motors are a better design, the diffs give you more usable traction 80% of the time, they are easier on tires, and the vehicle drives better. The range improvement is significant, the battery conditioning in the cold is more efficient, the half-shafts have been redesigned for the better, and the clunky eco disconnects have been replaced with a more traditional and reliable clutch.

Cooling is improved on the Enduro, as is the cooling system design. It weighs in a bit lighter, and there is never any of the torque steer issues some of the quads suffer from.

As for DCFC, since the DM is a tad more efficient, you will spend slightly less time charging for a given distance.

Rivian's latest iteration is a big step in the right direction, and made all the difference for my use case.
👍
Thank you for that reality check. In your opinion, do you think a quad Enduro, or any R1 trim, will get better than 400 miles EPA? Assuming a real max pack doesn't come out.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you for that reality check. In your opinion, do you think a quad Enduro, or any R1 trim, will get better than 400 miles EPA? Assuming a real max pack doesn't come out.
You will never get more range from adding more motors and more inverters. Each one carries a loss of its own. A DM machine with real differentials is not likely to be beaten for overall performance, economy and traction; except that the drag strip.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
One more observation: I beeped the horn and confusion reigned—where was the bicycle with a clown riding it? I would add a second horn given half a chance.
Sponsored