The R3 is meant to evoke Group B rally

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Group B was the most batshit racing ever to take place. It took small coupes, crammed as many horsepower as possible, and ran them on mixed rally stages. It only ran for a few years, because of the inherent danger involved, and many of the cars later found their way into other smaller (non-WRC) rallies.

I know many here are going “ew gross nasty” but if you’re a rally fan, Group B was the pinnacle of the sport and it is precisely why every motorsport journalist is fawning over the car now.

Not for everyone, but I think it was an absolute master stroke by Rivian to put up a car like this, because it hits directly at the feels of all the petrolheads out there.

Avert your eyes if you are turned off by the R3x …

1710103954017.jpeg

1710104083831.jpeg

1710103992612.jpeg

1710104001816.jpeg
Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
Definitely feeling the 70s VW/Audi vibes. For me there's somethin Scirocco about it. I'm a big VW guy and had an Mk II Scirocco myself, below is the Mk I

1710105482456.png

1710105490775.png

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The group B cars were batshit enough, but how about the loonies who stand next the course on those corners? :whew:

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Borrowed from hyp36rmax on Reddit….

a little less slammed would be great.

1710108175572.png
OH MY GOD - I want wheels like that when I get mine.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

My wife is going to be real pissed when, every time she drives it with me in the passenger seat, I start calling out, "left 4+, fast over crest, right 5, opens, late 7 left sharp..."

Lukeee

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWX3, 2series, clown shoe
Occupation
Retired
My wife is going to be real pissed when, every time she drives it with me in the passenger seat, I start calling out, "left 4+, fast over crest, right 5, opens, late 7 left sharp..."
Don’t cut! :p

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Definitely feeling the 70s VW/Audi vibes. For me there's somethin Scirocco about it. I'm a big VW guy and had an Mk II Scirocco myself, below is the Mk I

1710105482456.png

1710105490775.png
It reminds me of a beefier version of my first car, the Plymouth Horizon. I’ve heard a lot of people comparing it to a Lancia Delta. I looked it up and WOW! Absolutely.

IMG_5995.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I hope they make a "RJ Special"....1000hp QM. Anything over 200 mile range would work for this...at least for me.

Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hope they make a "RJ Special"....1000hp QM. Anything over 200 mile range would work for this...at least for me.
So how fast is too fast? We kind of had a self-regulating system, speed was cost-prohibitive which reduced the amount of stupidity. I just don't know that having 0-60 in 2s reasonably accessible by any 19 year old who took a trade early and is making decent scratch is a good idea.

I love speed. I love off-road. I love having fun in machines. I've been in all kinds of machines including Pony cars without instructors on tracks. All of that has me thinking, "ok so we crossed a line here" and I don't think it's the R3X. The R1S is probably already well over that line.

I don't know what the solve is but ignoring it isn't going to do anyone any favors who like speed. Maybe a special license for cars above a certain performance and weight threshold? "PDL" for "Performance Driver's License"?

The car we're talking about is a dream car for me. But I don't want to say I don't see an obvious problem with it hitting the roads. Man is it going to be a glorious machine. Man is it going to be accessible price-wise.

Faster than an Enzo for the price of a decently equipped Honda Odyssey is going to end in loss of life. We should be proactive here.

/rantoff

(love this car and still want it!)

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So how fast is too fast? We kind of had a self-regulating system, speed was cost-prohibitive which reduced the amount of stupidity. I just don't know that having 0-60 in 2s reasonably accessible by any 19 year old who took a trade early and is making decent scratch is a good idea.

I love speed. I love off-road. I love having fun in machines. I've been in all kinds of machines including Pony cars without instructors on tracks. All of that has me thinking, "ok so we crossed a line here" and I don't think it's the R3X. The R1S is probably already well over that line.

I don't know what the solve is but ignoring it isn't going to do anyone any favors who like speed. Maybe a special license for cars above a certain performance and weight threshold? "PDL" for "Performance Driver's License"?

The car we're talking about is a dream car for me. But I don't want to say I don't see an obvious problem with it hitting the roads. Man is it going to be a glorious machine. Man is it going to be accessible price-wise.

Faster than an Enzo for the price of a decently equipped Honda Odyssey is going to end in loss of life. We should be proactive here.

/rantoff

I am not a fan of regulating something like this.

But I do think the approach should be to make it something very special and accept that the demand will be low at the price I would design it around, which would be $100k-$120k. Keep the seats super Singer/Ring Bros like.....make the brakes something very top end. Same for dampers. Same for all suspension. All beefed up for heavy use.

Lukeee

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWX3, 2series, clown shoe
Occupation
Retired

/rantoff

I agree with you on a lot here…. I personally think any car that does 0-60 under 5 seconds is plenty for street driving. I personally value nimbleness, and a quiet interior (as I get older) a little more. Adding my teenage son to my insurance policy would cost me $500 a month where I live … I used to pay $1000 a year for 2 cars. I can only imagine how much it would cost for a teen to insure a vehicle like this.

Reactions: Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am not a fan of regulating something like this.

But I do think the approach should be to make it something very special and accept that the demand will be low at the price I would design it around, which would be $100k-$120k. Keep the seats super Singer/Ring Bros like.....make the brakes something very top end. Same for dampers. Same for all suspension. All beefed up for heavy use.
Very easy to say that from the perch of being able to afford that ;)

There are questions we need to ask ourselves as a society, why does wealth entitle someone over another thing? Meritocracy is either a partial or full lie. Enough of us are born into it or admit at least a portion of luck and can see the other assholes around us to know there's not much making us special over the next guy and that most people claiming to be special only have superior narcissism.

Money equating to full entitlement to all of societies benefits is going to create an "eat the rich" environment if inequality continues to grow over time. It's an absolute certainty, you just don't know until it's too late that you've past that point.

Wouldn't get too worried on that last part, France had to go broke several times over and famine before the plebs took heads and all it takes is a massive global depression the likes of which we've never seen before to level it all out.

I dunno though, maybe let some people who make say $60k a year have fun in a car though? The exclusive club is fun but we should probably agree on how close we want to get as a group to guillotines.

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Doesn't matter what inspiration they got it from, but they nailed the look. My Wife isn't into cars, and asked if we can already reserve the R3. She also asked how much our Model 3 would go for with third party sales. I don't have the heart to break it to her that the R3 is at least 3 years away.
Sponsored