Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Thank you for that! Very helpful. What are your thoughts on doing the roof? I don’t really care about having a moonroof anyway so I might just get one of the fabric screens that are starting to come out now…
Don’t do the roof. You’ll end up feeling more heat. Ceramic tint absorbs heat, which will then radiate against your head and shoulders. Ask me how I know.

Go IRX for your side glass, and then Llumar Air Blue 90/80 or FormulaOne Stratos 70 for the windshield. If you can tolerate darker on the windshield, IRX 50 or Stratos 50 is an option. That choice will come down to visibility preference and local laws.

The roof shade works very well anyway. Great work @BestEvMod(AOSK)

Rivian R1T R1S Tint Price Check on Xpel XR+ 3F994FF0-F8B7-4A4C-9D62-2E53CA34A90A
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Because I’m concerned that PPF on the outside of the windshield would get scratched & destroyed by the wipers.
Tint goes on the interior side of glass.

There are a few companies who make a PPF-like material for the windshield. It’s NOT the same as traditional PPF.

Installing exterior windshield protection film is an art. You need to be very skilled, have a clean environment, and prepare the surface to an imperfection free state before installation. I’ve seen MANY botched windshield protection film jobs, always coming down to labor defects.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

This isn't PPF. Tint on windshield and on every window goes on the inside. XPEL tint is not PPF.
But aren’t people putting PPF on the outside of windshields? Pretty sure there’s a thread here advising it because Rivian windshields are fragile.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

But aren’t people putting PPF on the outside of windshields? Pretty sure there’s a thread here advising it because Rivian windshields are fragile.
Go find that thread and find my comments on it. It’s not PPF, it’s windshield specific film.

If someone is putting actually PPF on windshields, they’re an idiot.

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

As someone who's tried that, I can give my 5 cents...
There are films (PPF essentially) rated for windshield installation. They are thick and feature a bit different adhesive. I've tried it though but never released it as a product for the following reasons (which should be a consideration if you are thinking of getting this from anyone offering it):
1. The adhesive causes some blurring. It's minor but every time you look at the side window you feel the difference and I personally hated the blurred vision so I ended up removing it. Don't get me wrong, it's not super blurred, but it's definitely annoying and noticeable.
2. The cost of such film (if high-end film is used) vs the protection it actually provides is such that may not be economically viable. I for one live in California - our roads generally suck. I get a cracked windshield once a year (at least). The film MAY (or may not) protect it in some of these instances but the film is about 500 and the windshield is 1000. The only way this film will be worth it is if it protects more often than it doesn't. I've just learned to live with some small cracks and change windshields once every 2 years 😃

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Don’t do the roof. You’ll end up feeling more heat. Ceramic tint absorbs heat, which will then radiate against your head and shoulders. Ask me how I know.

Go IRX for your side glass, and then Llumar Air Blue 90/80 or FormulaOne Stratos 70 for the windshield. If you can tolerate darker on the windshield, IRX 50 or Stratos 50 is an option. That choice will come down to visibility preference and local laws.

The roof shade works very well anyway. Great work @BestEvMod(AOSK)

3F994FF0-F8B7-4A4C-9D62-2E53CA34A90A.jpeg
Makes sense. Thanks again. I knew there was a resident PPF/ tint expert here but I couldn’t remember who it was. Much appreciated!

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

As someone who's tried that, I can give my 5 cents...
There are films (PPF essentially) rated for windshield installation. They are thick and feature a bit different adhesive. I've tried it though but never released it as a product for the following reasons (which should be a consideration if you are thinking of getting this from anyone offering it):
1. The adhesive causes some blurring. It's minor but every time you look at the side window you feel the difference and I personally hated the blurred vision so I ended up removing it. Don't get me wrong, it's not super blurred, but it's definitely annoying and noticeable.
2. The cost of such film (if high-end film is used) vs the protection it actually provides is such that may not be economically viable. I for one live in California - our roads generally suck. I get a cracked windshield once a year (at least). The film MAY (or may not) protect it in some of these instances but the film is about 500 and the windshield is 1000. The only way this film will be worth it is if it protects more often than it doesn't. I've just learned to live with some small cracks and change windshields once every 2 years 😃
Lots of helpful info here.

The other thing I’ll consider on this topic is my comprehensive insurance cost & windshield replacement coverage.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Lots of helpful info here.

The other thing I’ll consider on this topic is my comprehensive insurance cost & windshield replacement coverage.
You should see if your insurance provider has a separate glass coverage policy option. Many do.

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor

Sponsored

tbolts10

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
I do XPEL XR on all of my cars. 55 on windshield, 35 on rear windows over factory colored glass and 15 on front windows. Always been very happy with it.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have experience with the Llumar tint films? A respected local shop uses them but I don’t actually know much about them… It’s hard to find objective reviews of this stuff online. All the shops that post videos obviously are trying to steer you towards the stuff they use - whatever it is…

Locally it seems like Llumar vs Xpel are my best choices.
+1537 For LLumar FormulaOne Pinnacle and Air80!

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Great products indeed, but you can save a few bucks by going IRX, in lieu of FormulaOne Pinnacle. While the specs on slick sheets are lower for IRX, it actually matches and sometimes exceeds what Pinnacle can offer, in real world testing.

It’s been speculated IRX was dumbed down on spec sheets to make the FormulaOne products superior. Also, the formula for Pinnacle and Stratos hasn’t changed in about a decade. IRX is a newer formula as of 2019 IIRC.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So you got Formula 1 Pinnacle on front/ back side windows and air 80 for your windshield?