First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My Audi Sq7 used the ABS sensors for TMPS and if one wheel would change frequency, it'd trip the TMPS system. Towing a 6400lb boat on a 100 degree day up a mountain pass at 60mph was usually a time to trip a sensor.

My understanding in the Rivian is that they used TMPS sensors in each wheel and these sensors need the centrifugal force to wake up and start sending readings to their nearby sensor. if you have a long driveway or slow roads in your neighborhood, it'll take longer for these sensors to activate and start reporting readings. I drive 1/4 mile down a paved private road and the onto 35mph roads and usually within a mile of the house, the sensors are activated.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Obviously, you have never heard of "Circle for safety".

On the company vehicles I drove was a magnetic patch with "Circle for safety" on the driver's door. Drivers were required to walk completely around the vehicle checking it over before driving it in order to insure everything was okay on the vehicle and that nothing was in the way of being run over. This was part of their safety program, and it was often seen as a pain in the rear. But it did occasionally catch a burned out bulb, a low tire, etc.

After doing that for 30 years it became a habit that I even do with my personal vehicles.

Btw, the company made that part of their safety program after an employee stopped at home with his company vehicle, and when he went to leave he backed over his own child who was playing behind his truck.
Did that company also require reversing into parking spots? Lots of utility companies do, as it minimizes the risk of running someone/something over when leaving. Also just generally easier.

Some companies also require you to sound the horn before reversing. I've seen people do this by habit in their own cars, funny to see a corolla being driven like its a dump truck.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

My Audi Sq7 used the ABS sensors for TMPS and if one wheel would change frequency, it'd trip the TMPS system. Towing a 6400lb boat on a 100 degree day up a mountain pass at 60mph was usually a time to trip a sensor.

My understanding in the Rivian is that they used TMPS sensors in each wheel and these sensors need the centrifugal force to wake up and start sending readings to their nearby sensor. if you have a long driveway or slow roads in your neighborhood, it'll take longer for these sensors to activate and start reporting readings. I drive 1/4 mile down a paved private road and the onto 35mph roads and usually within a mile of the house, the sensors are activated.
That’s helpful insight. Your drive sounds a lot like mine. Thanks.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Left my house to drop my daughter off at work this morning, and about a mile down the road the truck gave me a low tire warning, 26psi. Prior to this warning I had the -- displayed for tire pressure. Why does Rivian have this delay? I also never got any message in the app about this warning, why not? If a tire is low it should be reported to me immediately, including a message in the app.

The tire had a screw in the middle of the tread. Two positive things: I used the compressor for the first time to air it up, and Discount Tire fixed it for free. Kudos to them, they even have the Rivian jack pucks and did not have to use mine.

Bad news though, the guy at Discount indicated my tires will need to be replaced soon, and I only have 13k miles on them. And no, I do not use conserve mode, except on long trips.
This is common with many TPMS systems, the tire has to rotate a number of times to both wake of the TPM and have it calculate the pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azbill

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Did that company also require reversing into parking spots? Lots of utility companies do, as it minimizes the risk of running someone/something over when leaving. Also just generally easier.

Some companies also require you to sound the horn before reversing. I've seen people do this by habit in their own cars, funny to see a corolla being driven like its a dump truck.
My Mach E goes "beep beep beep" when backing up, just like a garbage truck.

And when you use the auto parking feature, it backs in. But the charging port is in the front, so cannot use that feature at a charger.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
My Mach E goes "beep beep beep" when backing up, just like a garbage truck.
My neighbor's Tesla does that too. And it's loud. They back into their garage and are not very good at backing up. So even though they are about 500 feet away from me, I always hear them when they get home. Beep beep beep beep for about 3 minutes until they finally get their car in their garage.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Either weight, tires, or shite luck, I've now had 3 punctures on the AT Scorpions in 9,500 km's. Might swap to Flaken next round.
You're not alone. I've had two flats in my R1S in nine months. In my other EV, it's been two flats in two months.

Over eleven years, I'm up to 14, maybe 15 flats. Most were completely unrepairable.

EVs definitely stress tires and make them much more prone to catching nails than normal cars. It's a scandal that Rivian doesn't sell the R1S spare yet. In general, it's a scandal that these tires are being sold when they're clearly out of spec. for the weight and torque of EVs (and I drive conservatively!). It's done to inflate the EPA numbers. Pun intended!

I'm going to sacrifice range and switch to much beefier tires at the first chance I get. Unfortunately I have 21" wheels, for which tires are scarce (another Rivian design issue in itself) so I'll likely also have to buy new rims. That will allow me to use winter tires, as well.

OP
OP
azbill

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
You're not alone. I've had two flats in my R1S in nine months. In my other EV, it's been two flats in two months.

Over eleven years, I'm up to 14, maybe 15 flats. Most were completely unrepairable.

EVs definitely stress tires and make them much more prone to catching nails than normal cars. It's a scandal that Rivian doesn't sell the R1S spare yet. In general, it's a scandal that these tires are being sold when they're clearly out of spec. for the weight and torque of EVs (and I drive conservatively!). It's done to inflate the EPA numbers. Pun intended!

I'm going to sacrifice range and switch to much beefier tires at the first chance I get. Unfortunately I have 21" wheels, for which tires are scarce (another Rivian design issue in itself) so I'll likely also have to buy new rims. That will allow me to use winter tires, as well.
I do not really think it is an EV thing., In Phoenix we have always had a lot of construction, thus many punctures. My old ICE truck had a screwdriver blade embedded once, as well as a pair of pliers,
Sponsored