Tailvvind

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I’m three days out from picking up my new R1T here in Colorado and as bad luck would have it my check engine light comes on for my 2019 Chevy Colorado. It’s a holiday weekend so I’d only have Tuesday to get it fixed. I figure I’ll call my guide on Tuesday to let him know, rather than show up at delivery with a surprise. Talk about the worst timing. I’m assuming Rivian will need to reevaluate my trade-in, but I’m a little worried it could blow the whole deal. Anyone have experience with a situation like this?
Sponsored

240vPlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Rivian R1
Clubs

Take it to someplace like AutoZone they will scan it for free and tell you what the code is. One of the most common causes is a loose or malfunctioning fuel cap. If that's the case you can fix/replace the fuel cap and clear the code with a code scanner.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

OP
OP
Tailvvind

Tailvvind

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have a scan tool here and it’s a coolant temp sensor and variable valve solenoid. Maybe an easy fix, maybe not. I can do light repair work but this sounds a bit out of my league.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I would clear the code and drive it around for 50+ miles to see if it even comes back. Often sensors give error codes and it’s just a false positive or temporary issue.

Sponsored

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m three days out from picking up my new R1T here in Colorado and as bad luck would have it my check engine light comes on for my 2019 Chevy Colorado. It’s a holiday weekend so I’d only have Tuesday to get it fixed. I figure I’ll call my guide on Tuesday to let him know, rather than show up at delivery with a surprise. Talk about the worst timing. I’m assuming Rivian will need to reevaluate my trade-in, but I’m a little worried it could blow the whole deal. Anyone have experience with a situation like this?
When I traded in last year-June 2023, all they looked was whether the car starts. I think their objective that time was, can they drive to the third party company location. I think I had some warning and he he didn’t even care and they paid rather a good premium.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Dude, just clear it and drop it off. That's what rivian would do with it.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

They won’t reject your trade, they might change the condition from excellent to good or good to fair. Of course, this impacts the value, but they won’t stop the transaction.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Sensors and solenoids are easy to change if they are accessible. There are probably YouTube videos on it. And you can probably buy the new ones from rockauto.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tailvvind

Tailvvind

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Sensors and solenoids are easy to change if they are accessible. There are probably YouTube videos on it. And you can probably buy the new ones from rockauto.
That’s what I’m looking into this morning. If I have a good YouTube video, no problem.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I have a similar sensor warning on my Smart. I clear it, and it comes back on few weeks later. I have the coolant solenoid and just haven’t done it, so keep clearing it. Clear it and hand it over.

Wilsonos

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian, Raptor, Suburban, GLC300, 3500 GMC
Occupation
Owner
It’s most likely they will just ship it off to auction anyway.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I traded in a 15 Lexus LX570 with 115K miles and when I dropped it off (Dec23), they took the keys and delivered my vehicle. They couldn't care less about even opening the doors to look inside or check anything. It was in great condition, and Iwas worried that maybe they'll reduce the value at the last minute and I'll be screwed.

Take to get it scanned and clear the codes, you'll be fine. They're probably just breaking even or losing money with trades anyway.

OP
OP
Tailvvind

Tailvvind

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Update: I went ahead and cleared the codes, check engine light is off. Thanks for the help everyone

Note: one of the codes caused the engine temp gauge and AC not to work as a failsafe. When I cleared the codes the temp gauge turned back on. Why on earth would they engineer a system to bypass a temp gauge? I get bypassing AC for failsafe but not the gauge.
Sponsored