Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Haven't examined this in depth but this seems like a good system. Pay a flat fee or opt in to pay a potentially lower mileage based fee. I'm in Maryland and I expect st some point we will see a road usage fee to makeup for the shortfall in fuel taxes as EV adoption accelerates.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It really isn't a downfall to give your telematics to the state because if the government wanted your location they'd have it. Thanks to so called "freedom" bills after 9/11 all the government has to do is say you're connected with terrorism and they can get all that info without a warrant.

So there is no real downside to this program IMO as it doesn't look like they sell your data.

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
It really isn't a downfall to give your telematics to the state because if the government wanted your location they'd have it. Thanks to so called "freedom" bills after 9/11 all the government has to do is say you're connected with terrorism and they can get all that info without a warrant.

So there is no real downside to this program IMO as it doesn't look like they sell your data.
My perspective is that you are giving it to a third party, not the government. And hoping (naively?) that the government cared enough to put guardrails in place.

And even if all intentions are good they could still suffer a data breach.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My perspective is that you are giving it to a third party, not the government. And hoping (naively?) that the government cared enough to put guardrails in place.

And even if all intentions are good they could still suffer a data breach.
If you're giving it to a third party not a government agency then you're right.

Sponsored

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
The company is called Emovis US.
T&Cs here

I didn't read it but my eye caught this line;
I am responsible for reporting my miles. If my chosen Mileage Reporting Option (MRO) fails, I will still be responsible for reporting, and paying for, the miles I have driven. Any miles not captured by my MRO will be captured by the annual odometer photo, and the mileage and fees will be adjusted as needed at that time so that annual totals are in line with the odometer reading.

So it seems you have to submit an annual photo? Why not just do that and never plug in the unit?

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I didn't sign up for it because I'm not thrilled about the hoops you have to go through with plugging into the Rivian etc. I'm really not a tinfoil hat guy (I worked for a DoD contractor in cybersecurity), but this one just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't see why they can't just data mine the mileage on the car from we have to go in for the annual inspections. They are able to capture the mileage for that and property taxes accurately enough it seems.

Of course I am not happy with the charge they have for us to use the roads, but for now I'm just paying the fee. If it went up more I could see it being something I change my mind on.
Sponsored