Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

It’s important to me both who the workers are and who the primary owners are
I don’t understand comments like yours.
Do all the stuff you buy is made in the US by US citizens?
Do you truly believe that no parts in the Rivian are made in China?
Might be time to wake up and realize we’re still in a global economy and nothing is all bad or all good.

Rant over
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I don’t understand comments like yours.
Do all the stuff you buy is made in the US by US citizens?
Do you truly believe that no parts in the Rivian are made in China?
Might be time to wake up and realize we’re still in a global economy and nothing is all bad or all good.

Rant over
Commodity products made by China are fine; it’s the lowest to produce commodity.

I also don’t mind buying products from companies in countries with non-protectionist policies, where mostly free trade is allowed

But, China is a whole different story. For example, with the exception of Tesla somehow, no American company can manufacture cars in China without a joint venture with a local Chinese company.

Perhaps the US should force Geely into a JV with an American company for their US based factory.

They won’t even let markets set their foreign exchange rate. China determines what the exchange rate will be, with a very small market adjustment.

If/when China removes their trade protectionism, I’ll change my mind.

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Commodity products made by China are fine; it’s the lowest to produce commodity.

I also don’t mind buying products from companies in countries with non-protectionist policies, where mostly free trade is allowed

But, China is a whole different story. For example, with the exception of Tesla somehow, no American company can manufacture cars in China without a joint venture with a local Chinese company.

Perhaps the US should force Geely into a JV with an American company for their US based factory.

They won’t even let markets set their foreign exchange rate. China determines what the exchange rate will be, with a very small market adjustment.

If/when China removes their trade protectionism, I’ll change my mind.
Even if Volvo stayed an independant Swedish company you would still find reason to belittle it. It is fine to be a Rivian fan but to consistently ignore failings on Rivian’s part, or to consistently nitpick ANY competitor gets old.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
EX90 might be a price point competitor for the R1S, but it's not a feature/spec/performance competitor. Not even close. EX90 is yet another SUV body on a car EV sled.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

EX90 might be a price point competitor for the R1S, but it's not a feature/spec/performance competitor. Not even close. EX90 is yet another SUV body on a car EV sled.
I agree with you - yet folks looking for a roomy EV with seating for up to 7 plus room for dogs and/or gear with an appealing design can be enough for them to seriously consider both the Rivian and the Volvo. Especially at this price point, vehicles under serious consideration have to tick the necessary practicality boxes and project an image that makes the buyer feel like the vehicle fits with their self image. The Rivian’s off-road chops and the Volvo’s standard LiDAR system may just be “nice to have” features for these buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/shop/ex90-electric/

You can “build” and see specs on UK site. Based on comparison of XC90 price in UK vs. USA, the fully loaded version for 79,990ish. There are some features not included that are included on the XC90 such as the sliding panoramic roof, electric pano roof shade, rear window shades, etc which helps keeps total price down I’m assuming.

Looks like a win for a solid on-road 3 seater. Eta delivery 12-18 months.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/shop/ex90-electric/

You can “build” and see specs on UK site. Based on comparison of XC90 price in UK vs. USA, the fully loaded version for 79,990ish. There are some features not included that are included on the XC90 such as the sliding panoramic roof, electric pano roof shade, rear window shades, etc which helps keeps total price down I’m assuming.

Looks like a win for a solid on-road 3 seater. Eta delivery 12-18 months.
And 360 miles range? 🤓
Air suspension, Massing seats, full array of safety features, 4 zone climate with 3 row ventilation, 25 speaker system w speakers in the headrests, heated windshield. This is going to be a SWEET RIDE. I hope they are reliable. Will happily trade my Tesla MY for this and that says something as the MY is such a great get around car for day to day. Not as fast or off road capable, but likely more comfortable.

Last edited:

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
And 360 miles range? 🤓
Air suspension, Massing seats, full array of safety features, 4 zone climate with 3 row ventilation, 25 speaker system w speakers in the headrests, heated windshield. This is going to be a SWEET RIDE. I hope they are reliable. Will happily trade my Tesla MY for this and that says something as the MY is such a great get around car for day to day. Not as fast or off road capable, but likely more comfortable.
I wouldn’t put a lot of weight on the 360 mile range estimate. It is based on the very optimistic WLTP estimate. The EX90 on the Canadian website lists it with 480 km or little less than 300 mile. Which is what I would expect this to have.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I wouldn’t put a lot of weight on the 360 mile range estimate. It is based on the very optimistic WLTP estimate. The EX90 on the Canadian website lists it with 480 km or little less than 300 mile. Which is what I would expect this to have.
If it can hit 240 reliably, that’s is all which is needed.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I completely lost all interest once it was determined that ALL seating materials would be cloth. I loved my XC90 Inscription with the "leather" seats. Any pet owner with a shedding animal would balk at cloth seating if they understood the problem.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
If it can hit 240 reliably, that’s is all which is needed.
I am hoping it will be at least be 300 miles real world range to make road trips more pleasant. The pricing is encouraging based on extrapolation from UK, though.

GR

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Then a standard pack dual motor R1S is a better buy
That is an estimate for the Volvo. Sounds pretty comparable and a very viable competitor to the R1S. That is good for consumers.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager