Sponsored

Weird behavior of accelerator/brake pedals: is it a fw bug (current fw 2024.03.02)?

mczouav

First Name
max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian r1s, nissan leaf+, honda accord
Occupation
sciences
Hello all,
i am reaching the community to figure out if this is just us having this issue as i have already been in service center 2x for the accelerator ticking issue (see below).

Our 3 month old R1s has had weird behavior - 2 symptoms that might be related:

- There is a random ticking/ vibration occurring in the accelerator pedal while driving. (regardless of air conditioning settings, speed, drive mode). totally random, with or without the cruise control active. at 30, 60 or 70 mph. usually comes in sets of 3 ticks then a few random more then stops for a bit. this does not happen during every drive. R1s has been hard and soft reset after this happens to no avail.

- when cruise control is active, with the road clear ahead on the highway or no one ahead at low speed on little roads, the brake pedal shifts up and down by several mm nearly continuously while at constant speed. when the road curves lightly and speed is still constant, it also seems to apply brakes. This brake pedal motion was only realized a few days ago (after my last service technician visit of course) while trying to figure this all out.. i am not sure this is creating the ticking in the accelerator pedal. i have been in the service center 2x already for it and they have no clue (checked torque, etc). i would like to have more insights into this before bugging the service team again particularly since it looks like a firmware bug now to me.
i am not sure how long i can drive before the mechanism will fail since it works continuously up/down slightly.

the visit technician stated that the brake pedal is applied by the computer during shifting from reverse to Drive and it is "normal" and it can be felt in the accelerator pedal.

hope this makes sense,
anyone having insights about this?

Cheers,
Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
I don't know, @mczouav.

Our R1S has the same brake pedal motion at steady speed in cruise control.

Since speed stays constant, and the rest of the car feels steady, I figured it was designed to do this.

Best wishes!

OP
OP

mczouav

First Name
max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sciences
Thanks Dave, for the info. so i am not the only one seeing this.
i figured it would be somehow related to cruise control but in our case the brake gives some seriously noticeable kicks. i wonder if the issue is with the actuator... i ll reach the service guys.
it must also somehow affect range since it is braking on/off all the time.

cheers,

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Thanks Dave, for the info. so i am not the only one seeing this.
i figured it would be somehow related to cruise control but in our case the brake gives some seriously noticeable kicks. i wonder if the issue is with the actuator... i ll reach the service guys.
it must also somehow affect range since it is braking on/off all the time.

cheers,
If it's more than just pedal motion, @mczouav, I agree!

If it affects the car's function, it needs you to call service.

Very best wishes!

checkitonetime

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anybody received classified on this issue? I am experiencing the same brake pedal movement and noise when using cruise and driver+. It is concerning if the brakes are constantly engaging

Sponsored

OP
OP

mczouav

First Name
max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sciences
I still mean to take that issue to the sc. I plan attaching a camera seeing the brake pedal motion directly as it is jumping up/down in driver+/cruise control . the service center people do not see the issue as it is random and therefore don t know what to fix... But i have been travelling...soon hopefully i find time for this

checkitonetime

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I still mean to take that issue to the sc. I plan attaching a camera seeing the brake pedal motion directly as it is jumping up/down in driver+/cruise control . the service center people do not see the issue as it is random and therefore don t know what to fix... But i have been travelling...soon hopefully i find time for this
I did take mine in for this and it was a new concern for the SC. It’s probably worth noting that I am in Oklahoma and there’s not many Rivians around. Lol The service center drove other vehicles and noticed that all of the vehicles exhibited the same behavior. I did instruct them to set it and put the left food under it so they could feel it. They indicated that the brakes were “pre-loading” if the vehicle needed to slow. For me anyway it is happening in all situations that cruise is set and I can see the motors fighting with the brakes on the screen. I towed a trailer recently and this issue didn’t happen as the driver assistance systems are disabled because of the trailer. Curious as to what you find out!

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
When battery Regen is limited , during brake hold and when using Driver+ , brakes are used. This also moves the pedal slightly. To prevent brake application during limited Regen, you can change the settings and see if it helps. If this fixes the clicking, the source of clicking is the braking system.

OP
OP

mczouav

First Name
max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
sciences
It happens at any battery soc and settings for braking on or off at high soc. Which is not expected. At constant speed with or without anyone around, in a straight line or turns, so random and annoying.

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
This is a super annoying new bug. With driver+ engaged on straight and level and no acceleration, the brake constantly moves 1/8 inch back and forth making a clicking noise. Rivian devs if you are reading this please fix this ASAP.
Sponsored