First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Just found out my area of SoCal will be allowing me to charge my Rivian at Tesla superchargers. Tried to deduce what adapter to buy on Amazon, but got a lot of inconclusive results. Anybody bought an adapter? IF so, what model and type did you get and where did you get it from please. Thanks much.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just found out my area of SoCal will be allowing me to charge my Rivian at Tesla superchargers. Tried to deduce what adapter to buy on Amazon, but got a lot of inconclusive results. Anybody bought an adapter? IF so, what model and type did you get and where did you get it from please. Thanks much.
There is not one currently. Tesla is working on something called the Magic Dock that they are going to have installed on specific chargers to allow CCS charging but I do not think any are open yet. I heard there might be one in Carson, CA but not sure it is open.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Unfortunately there’s currently no way for a non-Tesla to charge at a Tesla supercharger (level 3), you need a Tesla app to initiate charging and Tesla has not made that available yet for non teslas. Tesla does have level 2 destination chargers that I have heard non-teslas using with adapters, these are sometimes free of charge and hence why they just work without the app. Since the level 2 chargers are rated at or below 48 amps you can just use a standard adapter. I remember my sisters Mach E actually came with these adapters, don’t know if that’s still happening.

In the recent press release Tesla reported (I believe) that they would be making 2500 level 3 chargers and 3500 level 2 chargers available or built specifically for compatibility with non-Teslas by the end of 2024.

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...o9jCKcYre9GwACNOLhzMzuRWCFtSF0vAaAucgEALw_wcB

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Found out from whom?

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Unfortunately there’s currently no way for a non-Tesla to charge at a Tesla supercharger (level 3), you need a Tesla app to initiate charging and Tesla has not made that available yet for non teslas. Tesla does have level 2 destination chargers that I have heard non-teslas using with adapters, these are sometimes free of charge and hence why they just work without the app. Since the level 2 chargers are rated at or below 48 amps you can just use a standard adapter. I remember my sisters Mach E actually came with these adapters, don’t know if that’s still happening.

In the recent press release Tesla reported (I believe) that they would be making 2500 level 3 chargers and 3500 level 2 chargers available or built specifically for compatibility with non-Teslas by the end of 2024.

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...o9jCKcYre9GwACNOLhzMzuRWCFtSF0vAaAucgEALw_wcB
I think Rivian would be smart to follow suit by designating a subset of the network that they are building out to be open to other EVs (as well as Rivian) but to still maintain Rivian only Level 3 chargers.

That way they get to offset the cost of building out their network but still maintain some exclusivity for their customers. Also, as I'm sure Tesla will be doing as well, charge Non-Rivian owners a premium which then goes to helping further build out the network.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Google magic dock...

Nothing for you to buy or do.

Just hope Tesla does it sooner than later.
Sponsored