Sponsored

What kind of receptacle is this?

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
It's definitely a non-standard outlet. There's probably a marking on the face of the outlet with the details.

Grab a multimeter and measure the voltages between the various pins. However, since it's at an Airbnb, you may not have your normal tools with you.
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yep. Flip it around and the "L" would be pointed toward the right. In the original photo, the "L" is pointing to the left.
Yea, I see that now. Maybe the person took the photo with a front facing camera on their phone or with a mirror? Still wouldn't explain the three phase.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yea, I see that now. Maybe the person took the photo with a front facing camera on their phone or with a mirror? Still wouldn't explain the three phase.
No, it's not a flipped image either. The angled connector looks like a L (or backwards L) in the photo, with the riser of the L pointing to the center of the connector. With the NEMA plug, the angled connector looks like a 7 (or backwards 7) with the stem of the 7 pointing towards the outside of the receptacle. That's not a right/left flip, that's a full 180 degree rotation of the one pin.

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
14-30, otherwise known as an older dryer socket. Not to be confused with the oldest style 10-30 dryer socket with 3 prongs.
Nope, already discussed above. The L-Shaped prong is completely wrong...

As far as I can tell, the socket pictured by the OP does not exist

OP
OP

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Yeah this has me stumped that’s why I posted this. Thought I was losing my mind. It’s a photo provided in the Airbnb listing. The listing has good reviews and folks that have stayed there and submitted reviews claimed it was a 14-50, which clearly is not indicative based on the image provided.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian R1T R1S What kind of receptacle is this? 1711409029336-gx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

None of the NEMA outlets have a flat on the bottom like that.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Could be an 18-60R based on how chunky it is. The Plug doesn't need to use the upright portion just like a 5-15P in a 5-20R.

Sponsored

srkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I think this is just a regular 14-50R and the thing you all think is an L at the bottom position is actually just the normal ground pin with a confusing shadow because the camera is a potato.

Occam's razor. Is it more likely that this person who claims to have an EV charging receptacle actually has something zany that doesn't exist, or is it more likely that it's a normal EV receptacle like they claim it is, and the picture is just shitty. (Spoilers: it's the latter.)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think this is just a regular 14-50R and the thing you all think is an L at the bottom position is actually just the normal ground pin with a confusing shadow because the camera is a potato.

Occam's razor. Is it more likely that this person who claims to have an EV charging receptacle actually has something zany that doesn't exist, or is it more likely that it's a normal EV receptacle like they claim it is, and the picture is just shitty. (Spoilers: it's the latter.)
I simply don't understand how a potato could generate that light reflection that runs down the center of the ground pin.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It's clearly a NEMA 14-50WTF
Sponsored