Sponsored

When Will Configs Open For Us $1000 Deposit'ers?

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S LR Refresh
Occupation
Web Developer & Digital Marketer
Its Friday. I took the day off from creating the Internet (I'm a digital marketer). Im a little bored. So... here I am asking a question that might receive a little bit of hate mail.

When do you all think the config for us $1000 will open back up? I kind of just want to config mine and then stare at the wall for a few months.... or 12.... HA!
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Its Friday. I took the day off from creating the Internet (I'm a digital marketer). Im a little bored. So... here I am asking a question that might receive a little bit of hate mail.

When do you all think the config for us $1000 will open back up? I kind of just want to config mine and then stare at the wall for a few months.... or 12.... HA!
Not until they start getting close to clearing the order backlog for already configured vehicles. I think they were close to 90,000 around that time, so it could easily be 1/1/24 before they open it up for the reserved but not configured crowd.

I think they will end up at around 20,000 R1 delivered this year and max production for next year would be 65,000 (they won't hit that though). That makes the best case scenario for deliveries by 1/1/24 at roughly 85,000 but more realistically 60-75,000. Assuming they don't have a massive amount of cancellations in that window, I don't see them opening up for configurations until they have to so that they can avoid another pricing fiasco if they have to increase prices again.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

You can configurate away to your heart’s content, then select that configuration when it’s time to convert your fully refundable $1000 deposit on an opportunity to order a rivian...since the $1000 isn’t really an order. It’s just an opportunity to get a place in line.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I suspect you'll do your actual configuration right before the vehicle is to be built. Until then, you're stuck with the "Visualize" feature on the Rivian website.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You can configurate away to your heart’s content, then select that configuration when it’s time to convert your fully refundable $1000 deposit on an opportunity to order a rivian...since the $1000 isn’t really an order. It’s just an opportunity to get a place in line.
You're the type of guy that demands the blinds and ice trays in a divorce, aren't you? Talk about being literal! HAHA!

SHEESH!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You're the type of guy that demands the blinds and ice trays in a divorce, aren't you? Talk about being literal! HAHA!

SHEESH!
It’s just worth remembering rivian can elect to return your deposit and not convert it into an actual order at any time for any reason.

it seems like a big part of why they separated the configurator from the deposit, other than to give themselves more pricing flexibility, is because of how often people were flopping around with configurations. “I changed my paint colour 35 times this week because I saw a leaf on the ground”

the blinds were ugly and the ice trays never got filled 🥲

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
After Rivian transcends "production Hell" and they have a better grip on what they can actually make vs. what they originally wanted to make. We've seen options come and go, interiors change and even whole trim lines getting the axe, a time of great flux. It was smart to put the configurator on hold till you know what the heck you can actually offer before taking orders for it.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

They seemed to run their production schedule quarterly early this year. So you probably won't be invited to configure until they think you are 3-6 months out from delivery.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It’s just worth remembering rivian can elect to return your deposit and not convert it into an actual order at any time for any reason.

it seems like a big part of why they separated the configurator from the deposit, other than to give themselves more pricing flexibility, is because of how often people were flopping around with configurations. “I changed my paint colour 35 times this week because I saw a leaf on the ground”

the blinds were ugly and the ice trays never got filled 🥲
Thats very true, but an extremely horrible way to make money. Id assume them to convert res's into orders asap, rather than return deposits. Also, they are making $$$$ on interest just holding all over our money. Its an amazing system.

I agree, they burnt themselves a bit when they increased the prices and got flack. I assume this system they are using now is in place due to that. HAHA @ "saw a leaf on the ground". So true.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
They seemed to run their production schedule quarterly early this year. So you probably won't be invited to configure until they think you are 3-6 months out from delivery.
My brain is saying "March/April 23" config and a "Sep/Oct 23" delivery. No clue why those stand out to me, but they do.

Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Hey, you may get lucky and get bumped to the front of the line. Prioritization seems random and some people that ordered this year have already gotten their trucks in front of people that ordered back in 2019. If you do get lucky, you'll probably be able to configure as soon as you get an email stating that it's time to confirm your configuration. For people that are getting bumped to the front of the line, there doesn't seem to be much notice given, maybe a week to delivery.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
After Rivian transcends "production Hell" and they have a better grip on what they can actually make vs. what they originally wanted to make. We've seen options come and go, interiors change and even whole trim lines getting the axe, a time of great flux. It was smart to put the configurator on hold till you know what the heck you can actually offer before taking orders for it.
Very true. Agreed.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If you preordered recently, I'd give it a year or so and then maybe check in with customer service.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hey, you may get lucky and get bumped to the front of the line. Prioritization seems random and some people that ordered this year have already gotten their trucks in front of people that ordered back in 2019. If you do get lucky, you'll probably be able to configure as soon as you get an email stating that it's time to confirm your configuration. For people that are getting bumped to the front of the line, there doesn't seem to be much notice given, maybe a week to delivery.
Ya never know! One good thing is that I live in the greater Boston area. Im at least close if someone denies their delivery.

hugebob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord

When did you reserve? I've been waiting a whole blistering 3 months! :CWL:
Sponsored