Sponsored

Will Rivian NACS adapter allow charging with just V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
This.

I have been assuming that "starting in 2025" means manufacturers will ship 2026 model year vehicles with NACS ports, starting in late 2025.
And even then it won't be all 2026 models. In the recent Ford CEO interview with state of charge they specifically discussed how not every model would switch over right away. For a while some models will have CCS while others will have NACS.

The plan is probably for existing models to remain on CCS until they were due for a refresh anyway.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

And even then it won't be all 2026 models. In the recent Ford CEO interview with state of charge they specifically discussed how not every model would switch over right away. For a while some models will have CCS while others will have NACS.

The plan is probably for existing models to remain on CCS until they were due for a refresh anyway.
Which probably means the Mach-E and Lightning will stay on CCS until they see a major update; and only new models will get NACS.

OP
OP

EV4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and a beautiful fucking Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Professional
The initial announcement last June, from ALL the automakers who made an agreement with Tesla, was that manufacturers would START to include native NACS ports on their vehicles in 2025. (Not "model year" 2025, but actual year 2025). In Rivian's case, we know that this implied that the R2 was going to have native NACS (at that time the R2 was scheduled to be released in late 2025), and that the R2 would be the platform where Rivian implemented native NACS. The R2 reveal a few weeks ago confirmed that R2 will ship with a native NACS port, but since the original NACS announcement last summer the R2 has been delayed to 2026.

It has never been stated by Rivian that they would switch to NACS on the current R1 models, or offer a NACS retrofit for existing vehicles or anything like that. But it's safe IMO to assume that when R1 gets a major redesign (NOT happening this summer) this would be one of the things that would change, along with some other big things like *perhaps* a new quad motor based on the in-house Enduro design rather than the Bosch motor.

But any MAJOR change to the R1 is almost certainly not happening this year. This year Rivian is focusing on reaching gross profitability on vehicle sales, especially through the reconfiguration of the manufacturing process and the redesign of the wiring planned for this spring - this is expected to acheive a 30% cost reduction. In contrast, re-engineering the charging system, electronics, software, and all the physical connections and going through the testing and certification for those critical components is going to be a major cost sink, which they decidedly don't need right now - especially when a simple adapter can give customers all the same benefits for probably about $100.

To me, it's a simple decision - sending adapters to everyone is $5-$10 million. Re-engineering, rebuilding tooling, and re-configuring assembly lines for NACS (and terminating/renegotiating the existing contracts with existing suppliers) is easily >$100 million. While this re-engineering etc. is going to have to happen for the R2, that's not until 2026, so I expect Rivian will bootstrap the process like they always do and develop a NACS charging system that can be used in both the R2 and R1 as dual-use components, then transition the R1 to NACS about the same time as the R2 comes out.

If Rivian put NACS in vehicles today, then those vehicles couldn't use the RAN charging network, and couldn't use the CCS network without adapters, and still wouldn't be able to use half the Tesla network because only the V3 chargers support NACS. (I don't include the V4 chargers, because, well, name one ...). Likewise, if Rivian shipped native NACS today then Rivian would still be on the hook for shipping CCS->NACS adapters for these new vehicles. So either way Rivian has to spend for the adapters. Not moving to native NACS until around the R2 is more convenient for EVERYONE and saves Rivian a lot of money.

appreciate the thoughtful response.

dilsherd

First Name
Dilsher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wouldn't let that get in the way. Waiting for the R1 with the native NACS port could be a ways from now.
If you really don't want to deal with adapters long term, take out a 24 month lease which have crazy deals on them right now.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use the adapter -- I plan on keeping my R1S for 10 years and will use the adapter till then. Built my tesla who knows a thing or two about charging. I'm sure they haven't released the adapter without much needed testing etc.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I have put off finalizing my r1s purchase waiting on a native nacs port. The idea of an adapter on a 90k truck just bugs me but with access to the tesla network officially I'm coming around to buying the r1s.
Thanks
There won't be a native NACS port (instead of the CCS1) until 2026 from what I read.....but who knows with the upcoming refresh.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
There won't be a native NACS port (instead of the CCS1) until 2026 from what I read.....but who knows with the upcoming refresh.
Rivian claims in 2025, so probably 2026 MY is correct. It will definitely not be with the upcoming refresh.

CJdergroße

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Management
Sort of a specific question that i have not seen the answer for anywhere. Hopefully, theres somebody with a giant brain on this thing.

I have put off finalizing my r1s purchase waiting on a native nacs port. The idea of an adapter on a 90k truck just bugs me but with access to the tesla network officially I'm coming around to buying the r1s.

My question is will the native port at the end of the year allow access to gen 1 through 4 super charges or will it just be gen 3 and 4 like the rivians with the adapter. I have not seen this answered/addressed anywhere.

Thanks

I home charge 99% of the time, the only time I'd use the adapter would be on a road trip. While I do go on often, is such a non-issue.

I use my CCS Rivian wall charger, and it uses the same cable. I'll have the opposite problem when my R2 arrives, I'll have to use my old CCS to Tesla AC adapter.:CWL:

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

Sort of a specific question that i have not seen the answer for anywhere. Hopefully, theres somebody with a giant brain on this thing.

My question is will the native port at the end of the year allow access to gen 1 through 4 super charges or will it just be gen 3 and 4 like the rivians with the adapter. I have not seen this answered/addressed anywhere.

Thanks
I wouldn't wait... You are most likely going to want a NACS to other adapter anyway.... Why tie yourself to one eco-system for trips? Get one now and a free adapter or wait to get a NACs R1S and buy an adapter

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I think rivian said they will supply adapters to CCS with the nacs cars as well. The mobile charger comes with two adapters and I have a third. It's a thing. It doesn't matter what plug the car has, you'll be able to plug in. I know you don't yet have an R1 but don't worry about V1 and V2 Tesla stations. They won't show up on the rivian map so you'll never know and won't accidentally show up at one. There are so many V3 stations it's hilarious compared to all the others combined. You could stop and charge every 10 minutes it feels like. However there are some dead zones in the middle of the country with older stations.
Sponsored