Sponsored

Will Rivian NACS adapter allow charging with just V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers?

EV4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and a beautiful fucking Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Professional
Sort of a specific question that i have not seen the answer for anywhere. Hopefully, theres somebody with a giant brain on this thing.

I have put off finalizing my r1s purchase waiting on a native nacs port. The idea of an adapter on a 90k truck just bugs me but with access to the tesla network officially I'm coming around to buying the r1s.

My question is will the native port at the end of the year allow access to gen 1 through 4 super charges or will it just be gen 3 and 4 like the rivians with the adapter. I have not seen this answered/addressed anywhere.

Thanks
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sort of a specific question that i have not seen the answer for anywhere. Hopefully, theres somebody with a giant brain on this thing.

I have put off finalizing my r1s purchase waiting on a native nacs port. The idea of an adapter on a 90k truck just bugs me but with access to the tesla network officially I'm coming around to buying the r1s.

My question is will the native port at the end of the year allow access to gen 1 through 4 super charges or will it just be gen 3 and 4 like the rivians with the adapter. I have not seen this answered/addressed anywhere.

Thanks
No, it will not give you access to V1s & 2s. Just 3 plus, like the adapters do.

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

No, it will not give you access to V1s & 2s. Just 3 plus, like the adapters do.
V2 does not and will not ever be available to non teslas due the integrated communication standard in the electronics. It would be a RIP and Replace on the backend Inverters/electronics and the charging posts. V2 does not have liquid-cooled cables, and they share 150 KW between 2 posts, so if someone else is charging on the other post, you both will split the 150 KW.

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

Thanks
I wouldn't let this be the reason to wait. Its going to be years before the all CCS chargers out there will have NACS cables. Right now, you're better off having CCS on the vehicle and using an adapter for NACS. if you have a NACS port and your only option is a CCS cabled charger you will need a reverse CCS to NACS

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Go to Tesla.com/findus and filter for "open to NACS". Those are the chargers that will be available to Rivian owners (in addition to magic dock superchargers, but there aren't many of those). Hint: it's v3+ superchargers.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Don't worry about adapters and NACS, etc. Like said above, its going to take years to work itself out.

OP
OP

EV4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
thanks for the info. yall crushed it.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I wouldn't let this be the reason to wait. Its going to be years before the all CCS chargers out there will have NACS cables. Right now, you're better off having CCS on the vehicle and using an adapter for NACS. if you have a NACS port and your only option is a CCS cabled charger you will need a reverse CCS to NACS
Hum.

I'm not sure I agree that anybody is better off right now with a CCS port over NACS port, but I sure agree that it is no reason to wait.

I have carried CCS to NACS adapters in my Tesla's since the day they were introduced. I have not used them much, but it has been good peace of mind.
😎

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
will the native port at the end of the year allow access to gen 1 through 4 super charges
Who said anything about native NACS by the end of the year? That's not happening. If you're debating waiting until the "end of the year" hoping to buy a native NACS R1 you will be sorely disappointed.

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
We really need a charging sticky that explains Supercharger availability; adapter availability, etc. Its super confusing and a popular grou question.

Sponsored

OP
OP

EV4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Who said anything about native NACS by the end of the year? That's not happening. If you're debating waiting until the "end of the year" hoping to buy a native NACS R1 you will be sorely disappointed.
Is it not expected that the 2025s will have the nacs port built in? And i just assumed 2025s would hit the road the end of this year.
right/wrong? who knows?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Is it not expected that the 2025s will have the nacs port built in? And i just assumed 2025s would hit the road the end of this year.
right/wrong? who knows?
No I do not think that is expected.

The manufacturers who have talked about 2025 have referred to it as a date, not a model year. So not before January 1, 2025, and potentially as late as December 31 2025. And based on Rivian's history I would not expect it to be near the beginning of that window. So my prediction is Q4 2025.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

The manufacturers who have talked about 2025 have referred to it as a date, not a model year. So not before January 1, 2025, and potentially as late as December 31 2025. And based on Rivian's history I would not expect it to be near the beginning of that window. So my prediction is Q4 2025.
Agree. I expect it near when the R2's start coming off the line.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

This.

I have been assuming that "starting in 2025" means manufacturers will ship 2026 model year vehicles with NACS ports, starting in late 2025.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
right/wrong? who knows?
The initial announcement last June, from ALL the automakers who made an agreement with Tesla, was that manufacturers would START to include native NACS ports on their vehicles in 2025. (Not "model year" 2025, but actual year 2025). In Rivian's case, we know that this implied that the R2 was going to have native NACS (at that time the R2 was scheduled to be released in late 2025), and that the R2 would be the platform where Rivian implemented native NACS. The R2 reveal a few weeks ago confirmed that R2 will ship with a native NACS port, but since the original NACS announcement last summer the R2 has been delayed to 2026.

It has never been stated by Rivian that they would switch to NACS on the current R1 models, or offer a NACS retrofit for existing vehicles or anything like that. But it's safe IMO to assume that when R1 gets a major redesign (NOT happening this summer) this would be one of the things that would change, along with some other big things like *perhaps* a new quad motor based on the in-house Enduro design rather than the Bosch motor.

But any MAJOR change to the R1 is almost certainly not happening this year. This year Rivian is focusing on reaching gross profitability on vehicle sales, especially through the reconfiguration of the manufacturing process and the redesign of the wiring planned for this spring - this is expected to acheive a 30% cost reduction. In contrast, re-engineering the charging system, electronics, software, and all the physical connections and going through the testing and certification for those critical components is going to be a major cost sink, which they decidedly don't need right now - especially when a simple adapter can give customers all the same benefits for probably about $100.

To me, it's a simple decision - sending adapters to everyone is $5-$10 million. Re-engineering, rebuilding tooling, and re-configuring assembly lines for NACS (and terminating/renegotiating the existing contracts with existing suppliers) is easily >$100 million. While this re-engineering etc. is going to have to happen for the R2, that's not until 2026, so I expect Rivian will bootstrap the process like they always do and develop a NACS charging system that can be used in both the R2 and R1 as dual-use components, then transition the R1 to NACS about the same time as the R2 comes out.

If Rivian put NACS in vehicles today, then those vehicles couldn't use the RAN charging network, and couldn't use the CCS network without adapters, and still wouldn't be able to use half the Tesla network because only the V3 chargers support NACS. (I don't include the V4 chargers, because, well, name one ...). Likewise, if Rivian shipped native NACS today then Rivian would still be on the hook for shipping CCS->NACS adapters for these new vehicles. So either way Rivian has to spend for the adapters. Not moving to native NACS until around the R2 is more convenient for EVERYONE and saves Rivian a lot of money.
Sponsored