Sponsored

Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket?

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Took my second rock today…second crack. No one in front of me, no passing traffic. My impression is the Rivian windshield is fragile. Anyone get a replacement windshield yet…and is there an aftermarket/better windshield?
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So I wonder if something like the ExoShield is worth getting on the Rivian. I have seen few posts now on the windshield breaking. Dont know if more fragile or upright, but I have seen this product floating around for a while dont know anyone who has utilized it though. Essentially a special ppf style film that goes over glass with the specific intent to prevent rock damage, scratches, etc.

My only concern would be how windshield wipers will work on it. Advert states they have a nano coating something like ceramic to help water bead off.

https://www.getexoshield.com/windshield-protection-film

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

I got a rock chip last night right in the middle of passenger line of sight, parked in the garage overnight, and this morning the chip has become a full blown crack from bottom to top of windshield.

just got done scheduling replacement with the service center; for this Friday and a cost of $1766.53.

OP
OP

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got a rock chip last night right in the middle of passenger line of sight, parked in the garage overnight, and this morning the chip has become a full blown crack from bottom to top of windshield.

just got done scheduling replacement with the service center; for this Friday and a cost of $1766.53.
If you don’t mind, ask the SC if the windshield has been changed…or if they are the same windshield. When I looked at a replacement, Rivian gave me a certified shop - I’ll call them Monday to see what windshields they install.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

As someone who hasn't gotten their R1 yet and lives in a place that gets a lot of snow this concerns me

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
As someone who hasn't gotten their R1 yet and lives in a place that gets a lot of snow this concerns me
Why is snow correlated with windshield issues? Grew up in Chicago, not something I recall, but may depend on something not clear to me.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Why is snow correlated with windshield issues? Grew up in Chicago, not something I recall, but may depend on something not clear to me.
No worries. Some municipalities use ice melt (salt pebbles) or even little pebbles on snow and ice to help car with traction (salt also melts the ice). That means usually in the winter you'll pretty frequently get flying projectiles onto your windshield (yay)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
No worries. Some municipalities use ice melt (salt pebbles) or even little pebbles on snow and ice to help car with traction (salt also melts the ice). That means usually in the winter you'll pretty frequently get flying projectiles onto your windshield (yay)
It’s even worse in the mountains, where they use gravel and mag chloride

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Does Rivian specify that you need to go with them for replacement? If so, is there a reason given? Having been given a run around at a Subaru dealership, I got a replacement windshield from a Safelite center and, despite dealer admonishment, had no subsequent issues with the Subaru Eyesight system. Oh, and BTW, saved a bunch of $.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
The pebble stuff sounds bad...

Sponsored

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
This is a growing concern for me too… in houston, highway nuggets fly off every lifted truck with aggressive tires that’s never left pavement on the highway every day. For 5 years with my last vehicle I prolly took a rock every month and only once did it actually chip the glass.

I’ve had my rivian for 2 months and already have a small chip with the very first pebble to ever hit it and it didn’t even sound very hard compared to typical highway rock hazards. Feels like the rivian glass is just not very resilient.

BT6434

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Not sure on the quality of the glass. Given the cost of replacement I asked my insurance company for advice. With all the glass he recommended I just lower my deductible. It wasn’t much of a difference on my policy but will lessen the blow if I need it. Although if it’s a recurring issue those rates will only go up. So far so good. My two previous vehicles (GM) got chips/cracks within the first 1000 miles. Seems almost inevitable!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Does Rivian specify that you need to go with them for replacement? If so, is there a reason given? Having been given a run around at a Subaru dealership, I got a replacement windshield from a Safelite center and, despite dealer admonishment, had no subsequent issues with the Subaru Eyesight system. Oh, and BTW, saved a bunch of $.
It's to do with the driver assist camera's and their recalibration post new windshield install. Sensitive equipment means time and money unfortunately.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Not sure on the quality of the glass. Given the cost of replacement I asked my insurance company for advice. With all the glass he recommended I just lower my deductible. It wasn’t much of a difference on my policy but will lessen the blow if I need it. Although if it’s a recurring issue those rates will only go up. So far so good. My two previous vehicles (GM) got chips/cracks within the first 1000 miles. Seems almost inevitable!
I've really tried to find reviews of auto glass to see if there are any suppliers that are better than others. No such luck. All windshield glass is laminated (see What are the Different Types of Windshield Glass? (wikimotors.org) ), but have not found any reference to one brand being better than another. Maybe I missed something...

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Last edited: