Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Software capabilities is another key differentiator between the two. Rivian's identity is based on this capability (tech company first, manufacturer second) and they have proven the ability to consistently add value. Volvo is an unknown on that front, but they will almost surely not match Rivian in that regard. It's just not in their nature (conservative, don't rock the boat). OTA's once a month from Rivian will be once a year with Volvo. Yes, Volvo has a Google OS that will come with the option of a million apps, but none of which are unique or differentiating. That matters to some more than others.

The other thing that Volvo can never match the Rivian on is uniqueness and cool factor (at least for the time being until Rivian is more ubiquitous). No one will ever stop you in a parking lot to say, "is that an EX90, cool!". Again, something that matters to some more than others. Some people will pay handsome sums for this alone.

The EX90 is simply a better drivetrain version X90, and that's not a bad thing at all. It's the same playbook as the Lightning, and should convert droves of current ICE version owners that already love the product and company and aren't up for taking a chance on upstarts.

This comparison can be easily distilled down to this visual:

EX90
Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S 1668091057738

R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S 1668091172025

Both great vehicles that will sell well, but different strokes.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I broke down and put a deposit down on the EX90 today. I was order #11,997......we have a Volvo XC40 Recharge now and my wife loves the Google system. I was thinking about the R1S for her, but we'd want the Dual motor, which won't be released until 2024 anyway, so I might as well wait to put a deposit down on the R1S.....much easier to justify multiple $100-500 deposits for vehicles instead of $1000/pop.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I reserved one as well, but the range does give me a bit of a pause. I am hoping real world range is a bit over rather than under 300 miles. Unless it's all marketing gimmicks, the safety features are really attractive to me.

GR

vista1984

First Name
Wan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
i booked R1S because it is 3 row EV and it is at the right price. I think many ppl will also interested in ex90, since there are not many choices.
as long as it is fast, safe, looks good, won't break often, 250 mile range+. I dont really care other things much.
Therefore i will take whichever comes first. But i may change my mind after test drive.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Iā€™m 80/20 EX90/R1S. Price is probably a stretch vs the Rivian but it seems like. A better drivability 99% of the time ha what Rivian offers.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™m 80/20 EX90/R1S. Price is probably a stretch vs the Rivian but it seems like. A better drivability 99% of the time ha what Rivian offers.
Assuming you have pre-3/1 pricing, then yeah I agree the Rivian comes in same/cheaper. If you have current pricing on the Rivian, then the Volvo probably comes in cheaper.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I reserved one as well, but the range does give me a bit of a pause. I am hoping real world range is a bit over rather than under 300 miles. Unless it's all marketing gimmicks, the safety features are really attractive to me.

GR
Assuming the Volvo mileage is accurate real world mileage, then the listed mileage should be adequate since itā€™s a family/highway hauler. We can only make it 2-3 hours without someone needing to stop anyway, so the mileage will be fine especially if it can charge fast.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Folks who were waiting for the EV9 or Ioniq 7 would definitely jump on board with the EX90. Lots of folks who want a normal 3 row SUV thatā€™s no different from an ICE SUV.

The Rivian R1S is more like Teslaā€¦ not a traditional car or SUV per se. I can imagine your middle aged soccer mom being turned off by the tech.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Software capabilities is another key differentiator between the two. Rivian's identity is based on this capability (tech company first, manufacturer second) and they have proven the ability to consistently add value. Volvo is an unknown on that front, but they will almost surely not match Rivian in that regard. It's just not in their nature (conservative, don't rock the boat). OTA's once a month from Rivian will be once a year with Volvo. Yes, Volvo has a Google OS that will come with the option of a million apps, but none of which are unique or differentiating. That matters to some more than others.

The other thing that Volvo can never match the Rivian on is uniqueness and cool factor (at least for the time being until Rivian is more ubiquitous). No one will ever stop you in a parking lot to say, "is that an EX90, cool!". Again, something that matters to some more than others. Some people will pay handsome sums for this alone.

The EX90 is simply a better drivetrain version X90, and that's not a bad thing at all. It's the same playbook as the Lightning, and should convert droves of current ICE version owners that already love the product and company and aren't up for taking a chance on upstarts.

EX90
1668091057738.png

R1S
1668091172025.png

Do you really think the two SUVs have these personas? Friend said anything with 3 rows is a soccer mom vehicle. I don't care. Just curious as to what you guys think.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Folks who were waiting for the EV9 or Ioniq 7 would definitely jump on board with the EX90. Lots of folks who want a normal 3 row SUV thatā€™s no different from an ICE SUV.

The Rivian R1S is more like Teslaā€¦ not a traditional car or SUV per se. I can imagine your middle aged soccer mom being turned off by the tech.
What tech on the R1S would turn people off? I think a typical soccer mom probably just won't bother with it if there is no alternative. For similar cost (remains to be seen, I guess), I imagine those that don't need off-roading capability might opt for the more "luxury" EX90.

GR

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Assuming the Volvo mileage is accurate real world mileage, then the listed mileage should be adequate since itā€™s a family/highway hauler. We can only make it 2-3 hours without someone needing to stop anyway, so the mileage will be fine especially if it can charge fast.
Rivian also hasn't announced a larger battery R1S yet so the EX90 and R1S, as of now, have very similar range. Just a 20 mile difference.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF

EX90
1668091057738.png

R1S
1668091172025.png

Eh I would say this picture is a bit aggressive. In a world where you can adventure without going offroading I would say EX90 is plenty capable to not 'soccer mom' and be functional while the R1S will fill the niche of needing offroad capable. Granted at least 50% of R1S buyers will use it exactly like EX90 buyers you mention.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR