First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I couldn't wait any longer and received my Lightning Lariat ER at the end of December. After driving it for a month, I absolutely love the truck. A few things that I immediately noticed or observed (many have said so on youtube videos - so nothing new):

1. The frunk is hands-down better than Rivian's tub experience (I'm just going by virtual images as I have yet to see the Rivian in person). Multiple outlets up front.
  2. I can store my golf clubs (I could probably do that in Rivian's Gear Tunnel which is amazing, BTW).
  3. I still have my Rivian reservation. When and if they do make it to Toronto, I, at least, have the option to compare the 2 vehicles and determine if I want to make the switch. I'm pretty certain I won't loose too much value on the lightning if I make the switch. Some for sure.
  4. Having said that, I am coming from a Honda Ridgeline (2020). From a mid-size (if you can call it that) to a full-size truck is a big change but I got used to it very quickly. It is spacious.
  5. Blue Cruise - it's pretty damn good. Doesn't do lane changes but sitting in traffic I can exclusively rely on it to slow down, stop, start moving.
  6. Another plus with the Lightning is that all the accessories from their F-150 ICE vehicles fit the lightning so there are plenty of options to chose from. There are, in fact, too many accessory options in the after-market. Sometimes you get overwhelmed and over think it. It's not a complaint, just an observation - better to have more than less, or none. The tonneau options are endless. Can get a powered, manual, flip, soft, etc... tonneau - no shortage.
  7. The onboard generator in the bed is great - it'll come in quite handy on camping trips. I will actually use the outlets up at the cabin to run tools etc...
  8. The rear independent suspension is a wonderful addition compared to their ICE counterparts. I can also lock the rear differential on demand.
  9. CarPlay/Android Auto - enough said.

The negatives (so far):

1. Steering wheel heat not available in MY23
  2. Bed scale not available
  3. Some security system thingy
  4. My FordPass app is buggy from time to time
  5. Massive 80-amp charger that cost a fair penny to get installed (my choice) - could have just used a 240v outlet.

Of most, I miss the heated steering wheel especially when it's -30C this week.

As for price, I paid $110+tax for my Ford and Rivian is at $107k CAD pricing. So not much of a difference in the grand scheme.

You will love the truck as I have been. The interior is wonderful and massive. The dealers suck balls but having many service centres to help me in need is a "really nice to have".
Sponsored

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Saw two today on the east coast at different EA chargers. Both were delivered in the last 3 months but the drivers really liked them. I trust opinions face to face more than on a forum.
I don't trust face to face opinion, and instead I rely on reviews on left by owners on forums dedicated to the brand/model of vehicle.

Why?

IRL people are often time limited as they have other things to do, and they're generally not going to go into the weeds on various topics.

Every time anyone at a charging spot asks me how I like the Rivian I say that I really like it. That is true to a degree, but at the same time I don't really like it.

I have the tok noise issue
The Navigation is a mess
I'll get spurious notifications of some problem only to have it go away quickyl
Service takes forever
Support is clueless
Spotify support isn't as good as I'd like
The Steering wheel heater only gets luke warm
The Steering isn't as tight as I'd like
The Throttle mapping has too much dead space especially in reverse.
The suspension only recently got reasonably okay in sport mode (a recent update did wonders in improving it).

I can't say all that IRL so its easy to mention things I really like, and that's about it. I also typically want to ask how they like their car to balance the conversation out.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Lightning reservation holders are VERY aware of what a reservation vs an order is. Ford makes that clear the different stages of the process. I wouldn’t read that as mal intent.
Yeah... Clear as mud. 😜

As a previous reservation holder for R1T, Cybertruck, etc., I assumed I could just pull up a website, put down a deposit, and make a reservation to order a Lightning. No buttons or info was available on the website. Instead spent frustrated hours, even got on the Ford website chat (who couldn't tell me how to do it), registered for a Ford truck forum to ask other users, etc. The process for even getting a reservation to make an order, then the order itself, are hugely unnecessarily complex, imho.

Like the meme says, just take my money!

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I find with Ford, it was better to walk into a dealership and build and hopefully get the truck on 3-months. That was what I had done but the truck was delayed for 2 months but I ended up getting a Lightning as another customer backed out.

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I just came across Will Prowse's deep dive into the onboard pro power (he's a well-known YouTuber among off-grid solar fans), he had some... issues. I hope it's more of an isolated case (for the issues with the truck itself, never mind the L2 charging network problems) because there are so many use cases for a massive battery on wheels with built-in high power receptacles.

Skip to 5:00 to get to the fun stuff and bypass some ranting

Last edited:

Sponsored

OffRoad987

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Porsche Cayman
I was talking to a Lightning owner who was taking pics of my truck at an EA charger. He had F150’s previously and would never go back to an ICE F150.

He convinced his other F150 friends also.

I noticed Lightning has more rear leg room space and its frunk has a low loading point compared to R1T.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I just came across Will Prowse's deep dive into the onboard pro power (he's a well-known YouTuber among off-grid solar fans), he had some... issues. I hope it's more of an isolated case (for the issues with the truck itself, never mind the L2 charging network problems) because there are so many use cases for a massive battery on wheels with built-in high power receptacles.

Skip to 5:00 to get to the fun stuff and bypass some ranting

This guy bothers me for some reason.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
according to Ford, most chip deletes are over for 2023 model year, including the heated steering wheel delete. YMMV

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This guy bothers me for some reason.
He’s an impressive kid. Pulled himself up by his bootstraps from being homeless to making a very good living on YouTube.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
He’s an impressive kid. Pulled himself up by his bootstraps from being homeless to making a very good living on YouTube.
Sorry didn't know his back story - good on him.
Sponsored