Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That’s what I figured. I appreciate your feedback and info!

I’m 6’1” so we’ll see how I have to adjust the seat. I’ve thought about renting a R1S on Turo (I’m in the Bay Area) just to test this out but also see how it can fit a bunch of car seats.
I'm barely 5'9" and, short of reclining the seat to the point that I'm looking out the glass roof, there is no driving position where I can't see the hood.

FWIW:
Rivian R1T R1S New R1S owner (former Model Y owner) in Flagstaff, AZ 1678744049916
Sponsored

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
@CalebSchiff I would love to get your perspective (or any other Tesla owner) on a few things. I am currently a Tesla Model Y performance owner. I’m considering giving the model y to my wife and purchasing the R1S. I have an R1S reserved since last year.
  1. How is the ride quality of the R1S compared to the model Y? Did you previously owned a model Y performance?
  2. How do the interior qualities compare?
  3. How does the infotainment system compare?
  4. Is there anything you wish Rivian had that Tesla does?
  5. In terms of Tech and features, how does Rivian compare?
Thanks

Last edited:

Jeevesbond

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla y
@CalebSchiff I would love to get your perspective (or any other Tesla owner) on a few things. I am currently a Tesla Model Y performance owner. I’m considering giving the model y to my wife and purchasing the R1S. I have an R1S reserved since last year.
  1. How is the ride quality of the R1S compared to the model Y? Did you previously owned a model Y performance?
Thanks
Im

Interested in this too. Also what is maximum speed of driver plus on highway as i enjoy the 85 max on my model y perf

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Blueberry’s a beaut!

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
That’s what I figured. I appreciate your feedback and info!

I’m 6’1” so we’ll see how I have to adjust the seat. I’ve thought about renting a R1S on Turo (I’m in the Bay Area) just to test this out but also see how it can fit a bunch of car seats.
Did you ever find out information or get to see a R1S? My original plan was to install three car seats in the middle row like the way I have it in my Odyssey, but the R1S is a little narrower and there are only two sets of Latches. You can probably do two car seats and one little booster seat if needed. It might be hard to get in between the car seats to buckle up the kid in the booster seat though.

For my upcoming road trip at the end of the month (Los Angeles to Portland), I plan on having the baby car seat in the middle row with Momma, and two big comfy car seats in the third row. This will make it comfy for the little ones in the back so they can nap.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any pictures. I thought for sure it would fit three across since the Odyssey could do it so easily.

Sponsored

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Did you ever find out information or get to see a R1S? My original plan was to install three car seats in the middle row like the way I have it in my Odyssey, but the R1S is a little narrower and there are only two sets of Latches. You can probably do two car seats and one little booster seat if needed. It might be hard to get in between the car seats to buckle up the kid in the booster seat though.

For my upcoming road trip at the end of the month (Los Angeles to Portland), I plan on having the baby car seat in the middle row with Momma, and two big comfy car seats in the third row. This will make it comfy for the little ones in the back so they can nap.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any pictures. I thought for sure it would fit three across since the Odyssey could do it so easily.
Hey, my partner and were able to test drive a R1S a few weeks ago. I am actually going to go today up to Sac to test drive again and can't wait to actually feel what it's like. I was unable to drive due to my license being expired last time so we set up another appointment.

I am still unsure how we're going to do the car seats. Maybe 1 in the 3rd row and 2 in the middle? I was thinking of just one in the 3rd row that way we can put down the 2nd seat to have more storage in the back. I'm sure we'll play with the layout when the time comes.

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I'm really jealous of your proximity to charging, soon-to-be RAN, and (planned) open Tesla chargers...

Down here in Tucson it's a struggle to explore the far south east corner.

1 (!) Not-so-reliable EA station in Benson. Thaaat's it.

East of sahuarita is a charging wasteland and also really fun for camping/adventuring

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
Thanks
I have a MYP and just got the R1S.

1. Ride quality on soft suspension is far more comfortable than the Y. It takes the harshness out of the imperfections in the road. The difference is night and day.
2. I never thought the interior of the Y was bad but I think most would agree it's sparse. The Rivian creates an interior that feels organic. The wood trim wraps around the main display and has a very cohesive design language. Not sparse and not over done. Like baby bear would say, "it's just right".
3. Again, like the interior, Rivian's UI has a consistent look. The animations are smooth and nothing feels badly designed. They've got an amazing UX team working on this. The way the transitions flow from one row to the next when adjusting climate control is a great example. Aside from the missing multimedia features that Tesla has, the Rivian UI is superior in every way.
4. The MYP's throttle is more responsive at lower speeds even when compared to Rivian's sport mode. The power is there when you floor it but it just takes more pressure on the pedal.
5. Again, aside from the missing video/music features, Rivian is better on every other front.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeevesbond

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla y

1. Ride quality on soft suspension is far more comfortable than the Y. It takes the harshness out of the imperfections in the road. The difference is night and day.
2. I never thought the interior of the Y was bad but I think most would agree it's sparse. The Rivian creates an interior that feels organic. The wood trim wraps around the main display and has a very cohesive design language. Not sparse and not over done. Like baby bear would say, "it's just right".
3. Again, like the interior, Rivian's UI has a consistent look. The animations are smooth and nothing feels badly designed. They've got an amazing UX team working on this. The way the transitions flow from one row to the next when adjusting climate control is a great example. Aside from the missing multimedia features that Tesla has, the Rivian UI is superior in every way.
4. The MYP's throttle is more responsive at lower speeds even when compared to Rivian's sport mode. The power is there when you floor it but it just takes more pressure on the pedal.
5. Again, aside from the missing video/music features, Rivian is better on every other front.

how is your experience w driver plus vs tesla ap. Did u feel on highways they felt fairly similar? How about headlights (hate my myp headlights they never feel bright or focused enough).
Any regrets on going from myp to r1s?

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
how is your experience w driver plus vs tesla ap. Did u feel on highways they felt fairly similar? How about headlights (hate my myp headlights they never feel bright or focused enough).
Any regrets on going from myp to r1s?
I'm keeping my Y but if I had to make a choice there'd be no regrets whatsoever and that includes charging. Did a 1,000 mile trip using a mix of EA, Chargepoint, and EVgo and only had one major but understandable hiccup. In regular highway traffic, driver+ is almost as good as ap. The former seems to disengage in areas that I believe Rivian might have flagged like rest stop entrances and exits.

I have a different experience with the Tesla headlights. The 'edge' of the light doesn't fade smoothly and is more of a hard edge which means adjusting them too high will blind oncoming traffic and lowering them reduces visibility too greatly. The Rivian's headlights have a more evenly dispersed spread and are far better.

Sponsored

Jeevesbond

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla y
I'm keeping my Y but if I had to make a choice there'd be no regrets whatsoever and that includes charging. Did a 1,000 mile trip using a mix of EA, Chargepoint, and EVgo and only had one major but understandable hiccup. In regular highway traffic, driver+ is almost as good as ap. The former seems to disengage in areas that I believe Rivian might have flagged like rest stop entrances and exits.

I have a different experience with the Tesla headlights. The 'edge' of the light doesn't fade smoothly and is more of a hard edge which means adjusting them too high will blind oncoming traffic and lowering them reduces visibility too greatly. The Rivian's headlights have a more evenly dispersed spread and are far better.
really helpful thx

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security

Thanks for your response. I see you’re on Long Island. Given Rivian doesn’t have service centers here on LI, what has been your experience? Also, can you use a Tesla Wall connector charger to charge the Rivian? I don’t believe I’d miss the throttle. Being able to go this fast is in the Tesla is scary and I don’t believe I would do the same in a Rivian SUV 😊.

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for your response. I see you’re on Long Island. Given Rivian doesn’t have service centers here on LI, what has been your experience? Also, can you use a Tesla Wall connector charger to charge the Rivian? I don’t believe I’d miss the throttle. Being able to go this fast is in the Tesla is scary and I don’t believe I would do the same in a Rivian SUV 😊.
I use a Teslatap Mini 60 to charge from the Tesla mobile connector at 32 amps. Will be even better with a wall connector. There are a few cosmetic issues I need addressed and will be holding off until I move to Orlando in the summer. Don't have any service experience with the Brooklyn SC.

The torque curve was intentionally tuned down for the reason you mentioned I suspect. The power is always there if you really wanna push it.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Thanks
I just transitioned from MYP to the R1S last week. Here's my take:
  1. Ride quality is far superior in the R1S. I've been in pickups or SUV my whole life and I couldn't be more happy with ride quality and site lines of the R1S
  2. Totally different interior vibe, but I prefer the R1S other than the big vacant space between the front seats - both on the floor and in the console
  3. Personally, I miss the the Tesla UI, but I'm feeling older and becoming more resistant to change
  4. Access to the SuperCharger network
  5. My first Tesla was a 2015 S 85D and I've been in Teslas since so that's where my perspective comes from. I feel like Rivian is about 4 years behind Tesla, but I feel like Rivian is closing the gap very quickly and may s00n be a fast follower behind Tesla's updates
As an aside, I took my kids and nephews to the snow this winter in the R1T with 21" road tires. We drove back home in the middle of a storm that dumped 9" in about 12 hours on our route and the R1T was far-and-away the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. The roadway was littered with vehicles unable to continue or stuck on the side and, while I had chains, I never felt the need to stop and put them on.

While it's only been a week, I couldn't be happier with my decision to make the R1S my daily driver.

PS. Don't let your wife drive the R1S or she'll take it!

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I use a Teslatap Mini 60 to charge from the Tesla mobile connector at 32 amps. Will be even better with a wall connector. There are a few cosmetic issues I need addressed and will be holding off until I move to Orlando in the summer. Don't have any service experience with the Brooklyn SC.

The torque curve was intentionally tuned down for the reason you mentioned I suspect. The power is always there if you really wanna push it.
Sounds exciting. Is the Teslatap Mini 60 the same as the J1772?
Sponsored