Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Bet EA and EVGo are gonna be pretty cautious in their investments until the dust settles here.
I'm hoping at worst it means new chargers wind up with both plugs like they had been with CCS and CHAdeMO.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
Or, if Elon decides, he can basically put Rivian out of business. Seems like a problem to me.
Going to be an interesting 12 months or so as this battle rages on. Bet EA and EVGo are gonna be pretty cautious in their investments until the dust settles here.
Yeah he's not going to do that. His goal all along was to convert all automobiles to EV and he can't do it with Tesla alone

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I think these closed-door agreements suggest that's not going to happen. Tesla is requiring ransoms from these companies to integrate with their network. I wondered if Ford was going to be the first domino...and now we know the answer.
If this is really what’s happening, this would irk the DOJ anti-competitive arm. They do not want to see a monopoly on charging providers.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Or, if Elon decides, he can basically put Rivian out of business. Seems like a problem to me.
Going to be an interesting 12 months or so as this battle rages on. Bet EA and EVGo are gonna be pretty cautious in their investments until the dust settles here.
No really.

Tesla has said NACS is an open standard.

If Tesla denies Rivian's application to join NACS/Supercharger Network on equal footing to Ford and GM that is Tesla exercising monopolistic power to limit competition.

Tesla would lose big time in court. Not to speak of court of public opinion.

CCS in North America is now Betamax.

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I hope public subsidies are tied to making Tesla a truly "open" network. That means usable by any car with the right adapter by any manufacturer.

One-off deals with big OEM's that allow strangling of smaller competitors is not something we should be cheering, even if NACS is a better connector.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

No really.

If Tesla denies Rivian's application to join NACS/Supercharger Network on equal footing to Ford and GM that is Tesla exercising monopolistic power to limit competition.

I hope you're right. Tesla says a lot of things. Roughly a third of which happen to be true.

They also generally ascribe to the old Uber philosophy of doing business. Do it, even if it's a clear violation of the law. Then stretch out litigation long enough to make the competition not matter. And Tesla doesn't care about public opinion.

We're essentially relying on US antitrust enforcement and Tesla's word for this to be a truly open standards. Neither of which I have much faith in.

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Printer
No really.

But Betamax was used to be great ! I can't say the same for CCS.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
I hope public subsidies are tied to making Tesla a truly "open" network. That means usable by any car with the right adapter by any manufacturer.

One-off deals with big OEM's that allow strangling of smaller competitors is not something we should be cheering, even if NACS is a better connector.
No it shouldn't.

The entire Network should be available to all cars from OEMs that agree to adopt NACS.

Having "magic docs" and adaptors on hundreds of millions of future cars forever is just plain dumb.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

But Betamax was used to be great ! I can't say the same for CCS.
Bad argument...Betamax was in many ways not as good as VHS and died for good reason. The small cassettes that were attractive also meant less record time. They lengthened record time by decreasing any quality advantage they had over VHS and then VHS won. Sadly, seems to be the case here...but again, the Tesla connector IS NOT a standard governed by an independent body.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
This is really exciting news! CCS is dead. You won't be missed.

But it has me questioning if I want to follow through with my Rivian purchase until Rivian makes the jump too.

The only reason I was willing to give up the Tesla charging network was a hope that CCS charging would be rapidly improving from the sad state that it is in now. After this announcement I doubt anyone is going to invest in improving or expanding the CCS charging networks.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
At the end of the day, I don't care which standard is used, so long as:

1. No one player has dominance over plug standard
2. Plenty of DCFC suppliers can exist, so that a single player (or few) can't exhibit extraordinary profit, e.g. surcharge per kwh. The last thing I want is to buy gas only from a Chevron or Shell.
Sponsored