Take that, Mate Rimac!:rock:

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
I'd take the new Roadster over that hands down, whenever it finally gets produced that is.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Its a bargain considering it beats that 4MM dollar Bugatti

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count has been pining for one but it would violate the Countess' cardinal rule to buy no vehicle that costs more than their first alcazar.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Take that, Mate Rimac!:rock:
In some ways, that looks exactly like what they’re doing! They partnered with Aston to supply drivetrain tech, and then took this beast out to smoke a Chiron for good measure (and Rimac bought Bugatti a couple of years back …).

They’re apparently in partnership with Koenigsegg, which delights me to no end. What a bananas company they are, and I’m here for it.

Porsche still owns 25% of the new Rimac-Bugatti (joint-venture? I have no clue how they structured it). So I’m hoping for an electric GT to come out in the future and hopefully not be wrapped around many telephone poles across southern california.

Super cool that they’re developing -and deploying- this tech.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Less focus on the Air line, more focus on Gravity. I like lucid but their business model and choices overall confuse me.
Agreed. They seem intent on chasing after an ever diminishing customer base.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Demand and spec driven by Saudi investors?

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Just like with the Tesla, paying an extra $40,000 for the "performance" variant of the same car you can get for $80,000 is never recaptured in the resale market. For the Lucid, they want basically a $150,000 premium for the added performance! WOW. As with the Tesla, they're basically the same car as the lower variants of each. The Performance models just go faster. I guess if you have money to burn, all the power to you. But that $150,000 extra paid today likely will net you $20,000 in the resale market 3-4 years from now. Most Plaid Tesla's can be had for about $10,000 more than a regular Long Range.

Also worth noting that the Tesla Long Range version still does 3.1 0-60, thus is no slouch. The lower level Lucids are also quite quick. Both being quicker than most cars on the road.

My original 2015 Performance Model Tesla did 0-60 in 3.0 seconds and that thing gave me a headache. No chance I was paying $40,000 more to do 0-60 in 1.9. My brain would become detached!! LOL. If I won't pay $40k more for the Tesla version, sure not paying $150,000 more for a Lucid!

But, it is cool to see what these things are capable of.

10 years from now, all EV's will likely do 0-60 in the 3-4 second range.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
In some ways, that looks exactly like what they’re doing! They partnered with Aston to supply drivetrain tech, and then took this beast out to smoke a Chiron for good measure (and Rimac bought Bugatti a couple of years back …).

They’re apparently in partnership with Koenigsegg, which delights me to no end. What a bananas company they are, and I’m here for it.

Porsche still owns 25% of the new Rimac-Bugatti (joint-venture? I have no clue how they structured it). So I’m hoping for an electric GT to come out in the future and hopefully not be wrapped around many telephone poles across southern california.

Super cool that they’re developing -and deploying- this tech.
I’m always here for a good supercar battle! Always with the hope that eventually some of that tech will trickle down to us commoners.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I was an early reservation holder for a Rivian R1T and a Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance, planning to go forward with whichever vehicle came to market first. Lucid won that race, and I took delivery of a Dream Edition P on December 31, 2021. I subsequently dropped off this forum, as I quit following Rivian developments and felt I had little to offer at that juncture.

I'm now on our second Dream Edition, as 14 months in a young guy in a Subaru WRX turned left in front of us one night, totaling both cars. (We walked away without an ache or a scratch and a passenger cabin that had no deformity whatsoever.) I had racked up 17,000 miles on that first Dream Edition and now have about 6,900 on its identical replacement.

I've owned a lot of luxury and high-performance cars over the years, including a Corvette, two Mercedes SL AMGs, an Audi S6, a Mercedes-McLaren SLR coupe, three Audi R8s (V8 couple, V10 coupe, V10 Spyder), a Tesla Model S P90D, and I currently also have a 2021 Model S Plaid.

The Lucid Air is easily the best balance of power, handling, ride, luxury, and features of any car I've ever owned. And I'm still blown away by the passenger and cargo space they managed to pack into in a car the size of a Model S or a Merceds E-Class. With the driver seat in my preferred driving position in both the Air and the Plaid, there is 9.5" more fore/aft legroom in the rear seat of the Air compared to the Tesla.

At 17,000 miles, my early-build Air (No. 154) was still rock solid and quiet. By 10,000 miles, the Tesla Plaid -- which was delivered with more quality and fit issues than the Air -- was already developing squeaks and groans in the rear quarters.

I admit the Air was very trying on my nerves the first 10 months when it came to software issues, which were legion. However, the October 2022 introduction of UX 2.0 and its progeny of frequent updates have largely cured the software gremlins, and I now like the Lucid's software suite and camera views better than the Tesla's.

I'm now anxiously waiting for Lucid Gravity SUV reservations to open up so that we can replace our Honda Odyssey minivan with an EV long-distance hauler for six adults when family visits.

This is no slam against the R1S. But we just don't need its reportedly superb off-roading characteristics but do need a roomy third row, as we're getting up in years. And I've become almost an addict of Lucid's design and styling language.

Last edited:

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Did I miss something in the article?. Talked about the speed to 60, 100, and the 1/4 mile, the price, and who they partnered with.....but no mention of how many miles to the charge it gets. No mention of how big the battery pack is.
Sponsored