Sponsored

Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover?

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
At This point, I kind of just want a refund and to buy one of the aftermarket options that seem stronger...

Would have been useful to have this past summer, but I'm terrified of how fragile these things seem to be.
Sponsored

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

At This point, I kind of just want a refund and to buy one of the aftermarket options that seem stronger...
I think they're trying to get pre-price-hike holders to ask for a refund at this point...

Sebass

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T (FG/OC)
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Just for SA:
Address confirmation - July 14
Shipped - September 8
Received - September 16

One of the lucky ones with no damage. And yes, upon opening for installation, discovered it would be very easy to break the plastic bits.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Quick summary on the water tightness of the manual tonneau. First pics are from light rain for a few hours. Second pics are from steady rain overnight. not soaked but definitely more water intrusion.

not sure why one side has considerably more water than the other. i will try nudging it over to the right and see if that changes things.

Light rain - a few hours
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? B7AB27EC-398A-4E4A-9F2B-6085C00A9102

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? B1A5F2BA-4997-4438-9CEF-C9058050A0DA

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? 676F7AE3-09C1-411D-865C-EE7601689F5D

Steady rain - overnight
Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? ED605F3E-3723-4E45-814C-FEB659E0A8A9

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? 17E0305B-B832-4F62-AF73-7CE4D0FD297D

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? C03E7E5A-D5C0-4316-A240-0D3D1F57597D

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

another update on water tightness. it rained pretty heavy last night in Seattle. even had some hail (thankfully no body/hood panel damage). with all that rain, definitely saw more water intrusion. all in the same spots: far left side, far right side and near the tailgate.

i think i know where the water is coming in so going to try something to seal it. will update next time it rains with the results.

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG-5403

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG-5404

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG-5405

Sponsored

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Manual tonneau is officially delayed again. Per my guide this morning:

Thank you for reaching out, I completely understand the frustration of not having the item you have prepaid for and waiting for a long time to receive. Unfortunately at this time the team in charge of the fulfillment of these manual tonneaus has placed a brief temporary pause on the fulfilment of these items as they are actively working on making updates to our shipping packages and method to ensure these items are arriving free of damages as there were reports of damaged items having been received by a small percentage of our community and it can be even more disappointing to receive a broken part and have to wait again for a replacement. Therefore sadly we do not have any more details to share on timing, possibility of expediting any orders or checking their place on the fulfilment queue. At this time we are encouraging our community members to await further updates from us regarding the fulfilment of these orders but we understand for some that may not be an option for a number of reasons and in that case we are able to cancel and provide a refund if requested. I am happy to help with either decision you choose feel free to let me know how you would like to proceed, thank you again for your continued support and my apologies.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

bummer. i guess i wont be getting my replacement tonneau (mine was damaged in shipping) anytime soon.

broc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The manual tonneau cover is a total joke. I love my truck and think the engineering is amazing. But the way the this tonneau cover is designed after taking so long honestly makes me question how things are being run in the company as a whole. I received my cover several weeks ago and first disovered that one of the plastic edges was broken in spite of the packaging being in good condition. Then my son managed to break the latching mechanism on day two when pulling on the release cable. Upon closer inspection the latch pins are made out of 1/4" diameter brittle plastic pins with tiny clevis attachments that attach to the release cable. The latches that engage the bed are 1/8 thick plastic. There is no way anyone, especially an automotive engineer should believe that these materials belong on an expensive heavy use item. Also the sides of the cover leak like a sieve especially when the truck is parked off camber. Total fail on such a simple product.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Here’s the results of my DIY water seal test. It worked. Bone dry in the bed. This was after 3 days of rain on and off. I'm not expecting waterproof, especially if there's torrential rain, but if I can reduce water intrusion, I'm happy.

I used gaffer tape (easy to remove, no residue) to seal where the plastic edge connects to the aluminum slates. I just need to figure out what sealant to use to make it more permanent.

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? 265485E1-F1D7-47F1-93F3-484F275BE460

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? E4F14C10-862E-4E1E-ADF8-B62CBE14C2A7

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? 80A9E874-50B3-420F-8D5E-BAF564AD0DAC

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? A15F82C5-5615-490C-AFB2-5986A8307EDE

Last edited:

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I recently reached out to my guide about when I might be receiving my manual tonneau. But I got the usual "don't know...no idea" (paraphrased) answer I get from her for everything. I believe the descriptive for my guide would be "useless.'"

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks like a 5-6 week delay while they redesign the packaging…

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_3690

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just got the same email:facepalm:

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I didn't get the email but its probably because I am waiting for a replacement as opposed to a first time shipment. Gonna reach out to my guide tomorrow to confirm.

They should have figured this out and had a solution sooner. Customers have been stating since the first shipment went out (was that June or July?) that the packaging sucked and tonneaus were arriving damaged. Rivian then sent a second batch in August, same issue. This time they realized it was an issue.

Could have saved themselves some money and goodwill with owners if they had listened to customers sooner.

broc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You'll see when you get yours that unfortunately the problem isn't the packaging, it's the cheap brittle plastic that they used for the edging, latch etc. and poor engineering. If something can't survive a trip to your house in a nice padded case, inside a cardboard box, it's not going to hold up well in the real world. Add in UV damage and subzero temperature and Rivian is going to be replacing a lot of these.

Rivian R1T R1S Have you gotten your manual tonneau cover? IMG_2449

LaxRN

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
Occupation
RN
I messaged my guide tonight and told him I want to cancel and a refund. This is unacceptable. I confirmed my address back in July and have heard nothing until I got the delay email today. I’ll buy something better made and half the price.
I love my truck but Rivian is going in the wrong direction.
Sponsored