Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It would be nice for sure. However, I'm think the backup camera for the R1T is on the tailgate, not the one in the spoiler. That's where most of them are on trucks and RJ confirmed there's a tailgate camera in the Q&A.
At least one camera is just above the license plate, on the bumper.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
At least one camera is just above the license plate, on the bumper.
RJ also said in the Q&A one is on the spoiler to see over the bed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It would be nice for sure. However, I'm think the backup camera for the R1T is on the tailgate, not the one in the spoiler. That's where most of them are on trucks and RJ confirmed there's a tailgate camera in the Q&A.
Diddy,

You are correct. I seem to remember the question coming up about whether there may be a camera-based rear-view mirror in the future, but the version I drove had a standard reflective unit in it.

The sheer number and array of cameras is very
impressive, including the tailgate and the rear-spoiler units.

As RJ told us there, the rear-spoiler camera is a central part of the security system for our gear in the bed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

RJ also said in the Q&A one is on the spoiler to see over the bed.
Diddy and SeaGeo,
I thought I sent the previous reply earlier, but noted it was still in draft form.

Yes, as SeaGeo said, it's high enough to see over the bed, as well as watch in the bed as part of the security detail.

It is a pretty amazing array cameras and sensors.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'm truly shocked with all the high-tech gear that Rivian's putting into the R1 series that the rearview mirror is a plain one. Like I said the one in my new '21 Toyota is fantastically vivid with a wider field of view (and less distortion) than a typical mirror. I use it 100% of the time no matter if the cargo bay is clear or nobody in the rear seat. Even at night it works well enough although headlight glare is surely there.

The fact that Rivian put a camera on the spoiler and/or tailgate is fine and dandy but not helpful unless a camara view is available while driving - especially while reversing.

Heck my son's 2020 Subaru has a nice rearview mirror camera mode that switches just like the Toy.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
The fact that Rivian put a camera on the spoiler and/or tailgate is fine and dandy but not helpful unless a camara view is available while driving - especially while reversing.
I 100% guarantee it will have a camera based rear view display on the screen while reversing, because all new vehicles manufactured since May 1, 2018 and sold in the US have required it.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't also put the rear view up on the screen full time while driving. That's been standard on Teslas for years, as well as a few other cars I've driven in the past few years, including pickups.

Our Model X has a reflective rear view mirror looking out rear glass with a view 50% encumbered by the spoiler.
We basically never look at it. We have the rear view camera on screen 100% of the time. Wider angle, better night vision characteristics (can't get blinded by it), and a much bigger picture than if it were video on a "rear view mirror" sized screen.

The Rivian's screen is up way higher, more akin to a Model 3/Y. But even on the Model X it doesn't bother us to look down a little bit to "see out the back" while driving.

Even if it's not offered at launch (like our Model X wasn't) it's "just software" and I imagine they have it in the future feature plan.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm truly shocked with all the high-tech gear that Rivian's putting into the R1 series that the rearview mirror is a plain one. Like I said the one in my new '21 Toyota is fantastically vivid with a wider field of view (and less distortion) than a typical mirror. I use it 100% of the time no matter if the cargo bay is clear or nobody in the rear seat. Even at night it works well enough although headlight glare is surely there.

Heck my son's 2020 Subaru has a nice rearview mirror camera mode that switches just like the Toy.
I would be absolutely floored if you don't have access to the rear cameras on the main screen, particularly when reversing. That's a standard feature anymore.

I am not at all surprised that the mirror is standard. You have a much larger screen down below to access the cameras.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
"early adopters program"

Wonder if his blue R1T is at the service center (or was).
I bet this is what they’re doing with their pilot vehicles.
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1629750292620

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I am not at all surprised that the mirror is standard. You have a much larger screen down below to access the cameras.
I'll drop it after this quick follow-up. I get it that the large screen will display a rear-facing camera view at least while reversing. I'm trying to say that having a camera image based rearview mirror is a fantastic bit of kit to use All the Time while driving. You never need to reposition it because there is no super-exact orientation to view the brilliant screen image. You are immune to dealing with looking past passengers (or dogs) or anything that might be blocking the view through back window inside the vehicle or sitting in the bed.

Not trying to win an argument here. Just saying that it truly does surprise me that Rivian didn't see this as a premium touch feature that's available on less than top-class vehicles already.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I'll drop it after this quick follow-up. I get it that the large screen will display a rear-facing camera view at least while reversing. I'm trying to say that having a camera image based rearview mirror is a fantastic bit of kit to use All the Time while driving. You never need to reposition it because there is no super-exact orientation to view the brilliant screen image. You are immune to dealing with looking past passengers (or dogs) or anything that might be blocking the view through back window inside the vehicle or sitting in the bed.

Not trying to win an argument here. Just saying that it truly does surprise me that Rivian didn't see this as a premium touch feature that's available on less than top-class vehicles already.
Curious, as I've only ever had a standard rear view mirror, but can you use what you are saying to view passengers as well or just the rear camera view?

If I could only see what is behind me, I'm not sure I would want that.
I like the idea of having the reverse view always on the main screen and being able to adjust the rear view mirror to see the kids in the back, but maybe that is also possible with your fancy rear view display :)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Curious, as I've only ever had a standard rear view mirror, but can you use what you are saying to view passengers as well or just the rear camera view?

If I could only see what is behind me, I'm not sure I would want that.
I like the idea of having the reverse view always on the main screen and being able to adjust the rear view mirror to see the kids in the back, but maybe that is also possible with your fancy rear view display :)
You can toggle the screen on/off and when it's off it works just like a normal mirror.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

This video shows the one in a Subaru. guy calls it a "backup camera" mistakenly because if you flip position for camera-view its on all the time (forward/back, stopped). This shows nicely the vivid image quality that I'm talking about. It takes a bit of getting used to actually because things are so much more visible in terms or field-of-view and clarity. You also have to 'recalibrate your mind' about reacting to vehicles closing the gap as they approach behind you. Until you get used to it your butt puckers anticipating a collision.

Sponsored