Tesla Adapter for Trip Next Month - A2Z / Lectron

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
Since Rivian hasn't started shipping adapters yet, I want to purchase my own. Is this the correct one to get for use of super charger?

https://a.co/d/035TJIj0

This topic has generated many snarky comments.

I apologize if this is a basic question. I'm just looking for info, not mud slinging. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Dr Medjools

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Mostly retired :)
Clubs

Yes, I have that one. I think people usually buy it through Lectron directly. The A2Z is the competing model. Don’t get anything else at this point. Better to have the Rivian supplied one but that’s months away for most.

Reactions: VSG
OP
OP

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
Thank you. I don't want to buy it! No choice. Thx again.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That is one of the two correct adapters. It is $50 cheaper if you buy it direct from Lectron.

Many people (including me) have had difficulty with these being difficult / impossible to remove from the Tesla plug. I returned mine and now have an A2Z. YMMV

https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?variant=43186507579592

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Stay away from Lectron. They seem to have QC issues. Get A2Z if you must.

Sponsored

OP
OP

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
That is one of the two correct adapters. It is $50 cheaper if you buy it direct from Lectron.

Many people (including me) have had difficulty with these being difficult / impossible to remove from the Tesla plug. I returned mine and now have an A2Z. YMMV

https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?variant=43186507579592
Thank you very much. What did you do in order to get it removed from the Tesla plug?

And do you have the same problem with the A2Z?

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Since Rivian hasn't started shipping adapters yet, I want to purchase my own. Is this the correct one to get for use of super charger?

https://a.co/d/035TJIj0

This topic has generated many snarky comments.

I apologize if this is a basic question. I'm just looking for info, not mud slinging. Thanks in advance.

You can get a loaner one for free if you join the mid atlantic rivian club (Under RCA which is $60)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rivianownersmidatlantic

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I don't want to buy it! No choice.
Be sure you're making an informed choice.

Only a fraction of Tesla superchargers are open to Rivians. So if your experience is traveling in a Tesla, don't assume that your experience will be exactly the same in a Rivian if you have access to the superchargers.

I suggest planning your trip and checking to see which superchargers are available to you in the places you will be driving. You may find out that you can't make your trip without using superchargers. Or you may find out you can make the trip but having more choices (superchargers) will make it easier. OR you may find out that there are no open superchargers where you need them the most.

Just don't make the assumption that the adapter will be a magical solution to all your problems - if you do that there's a possibility you may be causing yourself some problems.

OP
OP

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
This is very helpful. Should I trust my Rivian gps ? It lists Tesla chargers along the route.
When you travel how do you determine which Tesla chargers work with Rivian and which do not? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Lectron makes a solid adapter. With that said, they have continued to struggle with the latching mechanism. First, it did not latch properly and was recalled because the supercharger plug could be removed while charging. Now, unfortunately, its very difficult to get the supercharger cable removed, sometimes, even when charging is stopped.

I have been recommending Lectron but after some extensive testing I have found that about 30% of the time the Lectron unit is very difficult to removed (and I am not the weakest guy around). Due to this I will be removing it from my site here shortly and can no longer recommend it.

I have not had the opportunity to test the A2Z adapter so currently my recommendation would be to utilize the Rivian Clubs loaner program and wait for the Official adapter.

The Lectron works well otherwise but the difficulty in removing is a big problem. Even with a 2 year warranty the Lectron is too much of a hassle for me to continue to recommend it.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

This is very helpful. Should I trust my Rivian gps ? It lists Tesla chargers along the route.
When you travel how do you determine which Tesla chargers work with Rivian and which do not? Thanks in advance.
Just did a trip last week (Midwest to Northern Virginia). The Rivian navigation and the Tesla app were in synch with which chargers worked with the adapter. Sometimes the Rivian navigation app favored an EVGo or EA over Tesla. I paid for the monthly membership so used the app to find all the stations as I progressed as member price on Tesla was ALWAYS cheaper than non-member on EVGo or EA. The only time I did not use a Tesla charger was when I could use a RAN (Hagerstown and Breezewood).

One of the posters indicated the adapter was not a magic bullet. It felt like one to me as I had zero range anxiouty and never had a situation where I had to wait for a station (RAN or Tesla SC). I have a A2Z adapter and after the breakin period, it's been great.

OP
OP

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
Thank you. Very helpful! Point of clarification. If you only used Rivian navigation would that have worked? What exactly does the Tesla app give you that Rivian nav alone doesn't? Thanks a ton!

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
Have a A2Z and used it. Total game changer in areas of poor infrastructure. I was in a area that had very few slow CCS chargers and was able to find a Tesla SC. Yes not all accept non teslas but its nice to double your possible charging options

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Using the Tesla app, let me make plans JUST using Tesla SC stations. I relied on the app to find the stations vice Rivian. However every station I found via the Tesla app was also in Rivian navigation.

Maybe I just did not figure out a way for the Rivian navigation to ignore certain stations when routing. I had to manually set the routing many times as it insisted on a EVGO or EA when the Tesla SC was less than mile away. I hope they include a priority system for routing like ABRP has.
Sponsored