First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
In a YouTube video for CNick ring, he says that you don't have to touch the car with the ring, and he shows that he can hold his knuckle up to the car (so the ring is maybe a half inch away). He is doing this (in the video) on a Tesla, so it might be different on a Rivian.
I did exactly that with my Rivian - no need to touch the handle with the ring. Can you see the video in the first post? It shows how it works.
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I really like this... That opal version really sings to me too..

Gonna have to figure out what size ring I wear I guess..

Wilsonos

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian, Raptor, Suburban, GLC300, 3500 GMC
Occupation
Owner
Don’t let them “dissolve” your card. It’s really easy to clone the cards number to the rings and wristbands. The new ring/wristband will just work like a card. You just need to right tools and hardware. I’m waiting on a couple sample wristbands. I hate the Rivian wristband, feel it’s to easily unhooked.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Doesn't it kind of feel like a lot of money for a ring that only allows you to unlock your door?

Not sure if anyone else agrees, I thought we were talking about an Oura ring or something like it.

Maybe I am just cheap. :)
You're not cheap if you know what an oura ring is.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Doesn't it kind of feel like a lot of money for a ring that only allows you to unlock your door?

Not sure if anyone else agrees, I thought we were talking about an Oura ring or something like it.

Maybe I am just cheap. :)
Again, it does everything the keycard does. Lock/Unlock and drive. Just like the keycard, it would allow you to not have your fob or phone with you... and drive.

The ring is just the NFC chip transplanted, from one of your keycards. With it, you could jump in the ocean with nothing else on, go bait some sharks, come back and drive off as usual... if you're still alive.

Sponsored

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Don’t let them “dissolve” your card. It’s really easy to clone the cards number to the rings and wristbands. The new ring/wristband will just work like a card. You just need to right tools and hardware. I’m waiting on a couple sample wristbands. I hate the Rivian wristband, feel it’s to easily unhooked.

Wilsonos, Would love to see how your approach works.

In the meantime, I found this DIY video that demonstrates the transplant process:

NMflyfish

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 Toyota T100, 15 Toyota Prius V, 18 Ram 2500C
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

And a wrist band option...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ring key by CNICK 1719008653648-r0

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ring key by CNICK 1719008643766-6j

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Personally I'm perfectly fine with my DIY wrist band, although it is a pain to take off each night.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ring key by CNICK 1719026918662-yo

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Personally I'm perfectly fine with my DIY wrist band, although it is a pain to take off each night.
1719026918662-yo.png
Looking at this hurts

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Good luck with that. I'm not aware of any method to clone the Mifare DESFire EV3 4k and, if there is one, it certainly isn't "really easy"...

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I did exactly that with my Rivian - no need to touch the handle with the ring. Can you see the video in the first post? It shows how it works.
Yes, you are right - you did show that in your video. I had seen the other video more recently, when someone questioned whether it would would scratch the vehicle.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I’m confused. Why would one need this ring or pay good money for it? I’m assuming it would only be useful when there is no phone present. That’s great, but why not just throw the key fob in your pocket? The fob offers more and better functionality, doesn’t need to be in contact with the door to unlock or run the car, and is free.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I’m confused. Why would one need this ring or pay good money for it? I’m assuming it would only be useful when there is no phone present. That’s great, but why not just throw the key fob in your pocket? The fob offers more and better functionality, doesn’t need to be in contact with the door to unlock or run the car, and is free.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-ring-key-by-cnick.29340/post-563776

If you don't get it, it's not for you.

I don't swim in the ocean. But even I can see the convenience this could potentially offer... Like times when I have my hands full. I'd just need to get the ring close enough to the handle, instead of having to put my haul down somewhere, fish for my phone, tap the screen, etc.. There'd also be less chance of fumbling and dropping the phone—the damned things are expensive (still on iPhone 12 and not upgrading if I can help it).

A sacrificial keycard costs what? $120? The cheapest CNICK ring is about that much. Combined, it costs less than cost of a replacement Rivian keyfob and is much smaller.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ditto. But Apple uses NFC only for Apply Pay and Apple Wallet. Perhaps the restriction is Apple, and not up to Rivian.
That's not entirely accurate. I have a Schlage door lock that has Apple HomeKey support that uses NFC. If you enable the Express mode you can just tap your (unlocked) watch to the lock and it opens with zero interaction with the device required. There is an Apple CarKey that some automakers have enabled, but not many. I'm not sure that CarKey totally follows the CCC spec that Rivian wants to use with Gen2. If it doesn't, then maybe that's why Rivian is unwilling to enable CarKey on Gen1.

https://lifehacker.com/tech/what-is-apple-car-key

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Last week I reached out to Rivian CS to ask about cost and process of acquiring additional keycards. This is what they said:

To purchase additional key cards you'll need to set up an appointment for a tech to pair the new key. To schedule this appointment you can put in a request in the Rivian app or by calling the Rivian Service Support Team at (855) RIVIAN5. They'll also be able to provide information on pricing as well.
Sponsored